Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 153 154 [155] 156 157 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2095704 times)

JonMonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #2310 on: August 09, 2010, 10:46:58 pm »

I just had a pair of legendary miners plummet 4 z levels into a cavern when channelling out a new pit over the cavern layer. Someone managed to isolate something that collapsed, and the two miners were standing on it.

I pulled a similar stunt last night.  Brand new embark, nice river running alongside a 3-z level cliff for a ready made moat.  All I had to do was knock down a little hillock on the near bank of the river.  Instead of channeling, I ordered my two miners to mine it out.  Within 10 seconds they'd brought the cieling down on their heads.  10 seconds into the embark and I was already down both miners.

Face meet palm, indeed.

Tommy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2311 on: August 10, 2010, 12:18:12 am »

I managed top drop two legendary miners and a fairly decent miner into the top (and soon thereafter, the bottom) of a volcano before realising what was wrong with my channelling designations.
HAHAHA YES MY EXPIDITION LEADER IS PARTYING WITH GHOSTS THIS IS THE BEST UPDATE EVER
Dwarf Fortress in a nutshell. It includes dead things, parties, and getting really excited over updates.

Ikaruga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2312 on: August 10, 2010, 01:55:20 am »

It was during winter, the river was frozen, I was out of booze and I brewed all the plants I could. All of my dwarves were dying of thirst one after another. Only one solution : dig as deep as I could to find an underground lake.  So they all started digging, but I couldn't go further than 3 Z levels before they all died ...

Beardless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2313 on: August 10, 2010, 04:19:03 am »

Wow. The captain of my Fortress Guard is dead. A berserk camel somehow kicked him in the head so hard that his brain was shoved through his skull. I'm just astounded by his incompetence. How does a fully armored dwarf lose to a camel!?!?

No shame there. It's an effing camel. Dudes are like stealth elephants. Visit the Wonder how most forts fall? thread, you'll see a surprising number of forts brought down by camels.

I'm embarked on a desert right now. None of the giant leopards and such have given me any trouble, but the moment I see camels I'm pulling up the drawbridge and taking my chances with the cavern dwellers. My normal defenses involve letting the aquifer flood the top few floors of my main stairwell, but I don't trust that to keep camels out. Sure they can't swim, but do you have any idea how much water those monsters can drink?!?

Also: If getting kicked like a camel is anything like getting kicked by a horse, that sounds like a realistic injury to me.
So it turns out that dumping magma on skeletons is either a really bad idea or maybe like the best idea ever.

LizardKing

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXP:0]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2314 on: August 10, 2010, 06:22:35 am »

Also bear in mind that dwarves have their heads at a perfect height for a good face-kicking.

I think at one point I was running low on food and set a whole bunch of the little buggers to go fishing. It seems I didn't turn it back off, and now have enough fish to build a nice tower, should I so desire it, and yet have almost run out of booze. Fish wine, anyone?

FuzzyDoom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2315 on: August 10, 2010, 11:10:49 am »

Also bear in mind that dwarves have their heads at a perfect height for a good face-kicking.

Sigged. :)
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.

einstein9073

• Bay Watcher
  • Thus spice intestinally loft Blanka.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2316 on: August 10, 2010, 06:18:39 pm »

Child Protection Services would go into apoplexy get murdered with MAGMA if they found themselves inside DF.
Fixed =)
Strike the earth!
Dwarf Fortress: It menaces with spikes of AWESOME.

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2317 on: August 11, 2010, 12:12:02 am »

Apparently 6 warriors with legendary+5 fighting, dodging, shield, armor, wrestling, and axe decked out in full adamantine armor don't have a chance against HFS. I want this to work. Maybe if I add speed:0 and make them legendary+50 in runesmith or something.
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2318 on: August 11, 2010, 05:43:35 pm »

Apparently 6 warriors with legendary+5 fighting, dodging, shield, armor, wrestling, and axe decked out in full adamantine armor don't have a chance against HFS. I want this to work. Maybe if I add speed:0 and make them legendary+50 in runesmith or something.

ballistas.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Glech

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2319 on: August 11, 2010, 06:48:33 pm »

When trying to build a channel my dwarfs could drink from, my miners drowned.
All two of them.

Shurhaian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2320 on: August 11, 2010, 08:35:07 pm »

That actually reminds me of one effort back in the 40d days. I'd, er, located the underground river, and had ordered a tunnel dug to it, and a channel along one side of said tunnel. That went all right. But around the time I ordered the river breached, I started seeing blue alerts on my dwarves. I'd been so busy with my excavations that I hadn't kept up the booze stocks. Not that I had that many barrels to spare anyway, as I recall.

I figured, no problem, I'll just finish the breach and that'll be that.

I had forgotten to take into account DF's sometimes wonky fluid dynamics. Dwarves died of thirst before I realised that the water was nowhere close to the reservoir and extended my water-source zones along the tunnel.

Since then, I have usually used pump-filled reservoirs, often powered by a water wheel right beside them. Takes longer to set up, but the pumps make them SO much more reliable.
Working on: drakes - making the skies(mostly) a bit more varied

My guards need something better to do than make my nobles happy with hugs and justice.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2321 on: August 11, 2010, 09:41:32 pm »

Background: I run a lightly modded version of DF with a few more metals and a few more weapons and armor types. Generally speaking, I name all the dorfs after my friends and I, and I give them fairly realistic skill sets. I, being the only avid martial artist of the bunch, usually wind up as our first (and usually only for quite some time) soldier.

Well, on my last save, I get about a year and a half in. I haven't quite gotten my metal industry set up, as I'm busy carving out living space for my workforce of about 30, and trying to make stuff to trade with three traders all at once during each season. I also haven't yet set up defenses, as I keep trading all my weapons and mechanisms away for extra food and booze.

Along comes a black bear. Everyone scatters, except me. I decide to pick up my bastard sword, forget that I'm not wearing any armor, and charge. How heroic stupid of me.

MaximumZero cancels breathing: Mauled to death by bear.

*facepalm* Way to go, dumbass me.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2322 on: August 11, 2010, 11:58:07 pm »

Apparently 6 warriors with legendary+5 fighting, dodging, shield, armor, wrestling, and axe decked out in full adamantine armor don't have a chance against HFS.

Go for fifty and try again.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

corhen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Google Site (WIP)
« Reply #2323 on: August 12, 2010, 04:09:02 pm »

building a long 1 tile wide entrance to my fortress, with a magma pit on either side, with walls on both sides of that
|0▓0|
|0▓0|
|0▓0|
Ect... designed so that the goblins were forced to walk along here to enter my base, while being pelted by a balista, hopefully making them dodge into the magma
had my entire combat force out for hunting dangerous beasts, when a siege was sprung upon me, so i did the sensible thing,i told my entire force to retreat to inside the fortress, so that they could take on the survivors.
Along the path back, some goblins got into bow range, and every one of my dwarves ended up dodging into the magma.
Now I need to build a wooden ship with waterwheels at the side and an iron cannon, i mean screwpump, at the front...

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2324 on: August 12, 2010, 04:50:59 pm »

Use hatches or floor grates for a 3-tile hallway, retract them when goblins get there. You'll probably end up crisping enough of them when you retract them to break the squad.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!
Pages: 1 ... 153 154 [155] 156 157 ... 729