Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 171 172 [173] 174 175 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2131067 times)

Zidane

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Mc Fracture has been struck down by Horse!!
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #2580 on: September 16, 2010, 10:04:00 pm »

I built an overly complex irrigation system, so I could have water during winter. I failed to notice part of it was open to the sky...

A few hours of planning FOR NOTHING.
Give cats natural metallic armor and throw them in your danger room.  Also allow their mouth and tail to grasp (shield in mouth, weapon in tail xD)  Have a cat based military.  You know, do the same with all tame animals xD send in the cats as shock troops to disrupt the archers

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2581 on: September 17, 2010, 02:19:39 am »

What? Just floor the open parts over.
99 barrels of beer in the pile
99 barrels of beer!
If some dwarves know the way to the pile
0 barrels of beer in the pile!

Thadius

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:homemade coffee]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2582 on: September 17, 2010, 02:52:25 am »

Digging down to the second cavern layer in search of easily accessible water to use for the farms...

...And then when finding none down there and looking about for an alternative solution, finding that there was a lake near the top of the volcano.

Palm, meet face at an accelerated speed.
If you accidentally lock the elves in the depot and wait until they're insane to capture them in cages and then lock the next group of elves in the depot and unleash the insane elves from their cages, that's still somehow your fault.

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2583 on: September 17, 2010, 03:18:45 am »

That leads to the "stone greenhouse" effect - convenient if you want safe green or red dyes (or whip vine flour, etc.), bad if you want to grow actual food.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2584 on: September 17, 2010, 04:22:58 am »

I began a massive construction project to bring cavern-water up 100 z-levels, and halfway through construction I found an aquifer not 20 tiles from my doorstep.  Didn't know whether to laugh or cry.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2585 on: September 17, 2010, 11:30:30 am »

Was trying to do some work with obsidian casting. Lost 1 dwarf when he was swept off his pumping platform into the aqueduct bringing water to the magma. Lost another when mining out random overflow of obsidian to a cave-in. I've had a grand total of 7 migrants (3 seasons in), so I'm down to 12 dwarves now. Well, the cast finishes, and I tell my dwarves to tear down the dolomite casting wall.

They run off to do it, and suddenly I get the message:

Urist McDeconstructor has been frozen in ice! x 8!

Those who were "lucky" enough to be standing in 1/7 water when the free suddenly hit are now trapped within an ice and obsidian prison. I have no accessible picks, and no way to get them out. The fun-ness of a "temperate" biome!

gopher dude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2586 on: September 17, 2010, 01:41:51 pm »

I had embarked on a desert like savahna area.
It had flux stone and about 2-3 layers of farmable dirt, but I had to get it wet since these new version are picky.

There was a river right next to the entrance of my area and I decided I would irrigate my fields the only way I knew how: two flood gates one to block the entrance, one to act as the opening and closer for the water channel connecting my farm land with the river. Channel the water into there and open close the floodgates accordingly.
Not too hard at all I figured.

So anyway, I finally get one of my dwarfs to channel the missing piece into my irigation tunnel and.... the water doesn't flow in.
So I'm wondering, "what the shist, do I have to channel it all outside or somthing?" then I noticed that the river had actually dried up.
The river had dried up so much now that it was one entire z-level down and below my farming plot, so if I had wanted to channel the water I'd have to redig the whole thing again underneith it or find a way to bring water UP a level.

Of course I don't know how to bring water up, I'm not that smart.
I abandoned the fort out of frustration. D:

Urist McTaverish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2587 on: September 17, 2010, 01:54:53 pm »

Of course I don't know how to bring water up, I'm not that smart.
I abandoned the fort out of frustration. D:

Pump(s) my boy, pump(s).
Here at Bay12, we're constantly looking for ways to set the world on fire.
But at least after all the chaos, the weather cleared.

Zidane

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Mc Fracture has been struck down by Horse!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2588 on: September 17, 2010, 02:59:48 pm »

I failed to notice the slopes, and I'm not sure if ponds will regenerate water if rain can not fall on them
Give cats natural metallic armor and throw them in your danger room.  Also allow their mouth and tail to grasp (shield in mouth, weapon in tail xD)  Have a cat based military.  You know, do the same with all tame animals xD send in the cats as shock troops to disrupt the archers

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2589 on: September 17, 2010, 08:07:25 pm »

I failed to notice the slopes, and I'm not sure if ponds will regenerate water if rain can not fall on them

They won't. Also, flooring the open parts over won't help - whether a tile of water freezes is determined by whether it is above ground or subterranean, not whether it's outside or inside.

That leads to the "stone greenhouse" effect - convenient if you want safe green or red dyes (or whip vine flour, etc.), bad if you want to grow actual food.

What do you mean? Inside/above ground tiles can grow any above ground crop. Are wild strawberries and prickle/fisher/sun berries not actual food?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 08:11:15 pm by Urist Imiknorris »
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2590 on: September 18, 2010, 01:36:00 am »

Actual food as in PLUMP HELMETS.

Otherwise you have to go running around outside, like a bunch of elves.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2591 on: September 18, 2010, 04:17:21 am »

They won't. Also, flooring the open parts over won't help - whether a tile of water freezes is determined by whether it is above ground or subterranean, not whether it's outside or inside.

Ah, I feared as much. I guess this is one thing that should be changed in the future.
99 barrels of beer in the pile
99 barrels of beer!
If some dwarves know the way to the pile
0 barrels of beer in the pile!

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2592 on: September 18, 2010, 11:21:50 am »

Actual food as in PLUMP HELMETS.

Otherwise you have to go running around outside, like a bunch of elves.

You could floor over your above ground farms.

OT: This is my dining room.

I'm just going to leave it that way. It's not like there was anything valuable in there anyway.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2593 on: September 18, 2010, 02:46:10 pm »

I've had a pair of giant lions since year two or three.  A breeding pair.  And I only just noticed.

They've been in a cage the whole time.  Together, of course, but what with the two hundred other animals in there, they haven't gotten around to making giant lion romance and producing adorable baby giant lions war animals for my military yet.  Grr.  >:[
I HAVE THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND CRAFT ITEMS. I WILL TRADE THEM ALL FOR CHEESE.
7+7

ZhangC1459

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2594 on: September 18, 2010, 07:46:05 pm »

I built an immense series of screw pumps, windmills, and assorted machinery to bring up magma from the magma sea on a non-edited map and accidentally had a wood block somewhere in there.
Pages: 1 ... 171 172 [173] 174 175 ... 729