Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 181 182 [183] 184 185 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2126641 times)

geoduck

• Bay Watcher
  • mollusk
    • View Profile
    • Geoduck's Page
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #2730 on: October 06, 2010, 01:38:28 am »

I'm... just going to leave this picture here...

OK, I'll admit it, I have absolutely no idea what that is.
Geoduck's graphic set: simple and compact!

Raufgar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2731 on: October 06, 2010, 03:21:08 am »

Tower-Cap Mushroom (underground equivalent of a tree) in the middle of a whole bunch of un-mined stone. Probably used Reveal to see it like that. Makes you wonder how tenacious those Tower-Caps really are...

My FacePalm (tm) moment:

Spent an hour "Planning for the journey carefully", tailoring for a minimalistic "no tools but the kitchen sink anvil" build and "so many barrels they create a multi-story building" build combined.

Embarked. Strike the Earth!

Started right next to a black bear. Okay Dokay. Didn't want trouble so early in the game, so I had him [TAME] with RuneSmith.

And then....it hits me....forgot to pack a fire-safe stone. <facepalm>

Just as I was contemplating abandoning my little commune (no picks = no digging cavernous rooms), I decided "To Hell With IT!~"

1) Made a training axe and started clear-cutting the whole map. Made them unicorns sad.
2) Built myself a nice 3-story wooden cabin, equipped with dorm, dinning hall, and storage.
3) Made a Trade Depot out of wood
4) Pumped out a murky pond into a reservoir, made a one-holer and designated that as the drinking ole' (no stone/metal = no mechanisms)
5) Grabbed all the shrubs, turned about half into booze.
6) Lasted until the first caravan came (after 2 migrant waves of 3-4 dorfs)

As a famous man once said: Smells like....Dwarf Fortress.

Lord Vetinari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2732 on: October 06, 2010, 03:26:15 am »

It's all my fault, but I spent hours planning and digging a water system that should have pump water from a river and then dump back in it to avoid flood and for scenic reasons. Then winter came and I rememberd that in temperate areas the rivers freeze.

Raufgar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2733 on: October 06, 2010, 05:13:48 am »

It's all my fault, but I spent hours planning and digging a water system that should have pump water from a river and then dump back in it to avoid flood and for scenic reasons. Then winter came and I rememberd that in temperate areas the rivers freeze.

I wonder what happens if you dump the water 1 z higher onto the top of the (frozen) river... Lucky me my terrifying ocean doesn't freeze...

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2734 on: October 06, 2010, 06:13:26 am »

When I was flooding my fortress with...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

For the 50th time.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Lord Vetinari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2735 on: October 06, 2010, 07:29:04 am »

I wonder what happens if you dump the water 1 z higher onto the top of the (frozen) river... Lucky me my terrifying ocean doesn't freeze...

I wondered too, so I made a backup of the save before I changed the project. One of these days I'll finish it and try.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 10:18:01 am by Lord Vetinari »

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2736 on: October 06, 2010, 07:38:03 am »

There's a towercap mushroom growing in the middle of my obsidian casting. The damn thing has lava *on top of it* and its still just chilling, indifferent to my anger.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2737 on: October 06, 2010, 09:14:30 am »

Missing the Burn Wood job assignment and setting every single bloody dwarf to be a furnace operator in a blind rage to try and start my metal chain.

Doing so one dwarf at a time because im a noob and havent fully explored the menus. (Hence not finding the assignment in the first place)

Giving up with tears of rage and resolving to wait for the first damn caravan.

Caravan bringing no coke/charcoal.

Waiting this situation out for 4 years because as a rule i dont seek outside help, unfavorable caravans wouldnt provide the single unit needed to convert the mountain of bitumous coal and get rolling.

Fretting like a lunatic that impending stabbity death was lurking over the horizon and my army is outfitted with wood and whatever iron junk traders happened to have. (Didnt find the whole trading emissary thing, just wondered what the message about stroppy diplomats was...next time maybe i can request)

Likewise failing to master the military/training system thingy (inspired that i get it now?  im not) so my army didnt train.

Realise when i finally turn to the forums that im in .14 and that impending doom will never come.

No Fun :( (see...poked around the resources now didnt I)

« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 09:16:14 am by celem »
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

EmperorNuthulu

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes nu's for their blueness, oh and that mohawk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2738 on: October 06, 2010, 11:41:15 am »

Going into the caverns and thinking cave crocodiles wouldn't hurt me. Yeah.....
Blargh.

petebull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2739 on: October 06, 2010, 01:27:44 pm »

after losing a legendary miner to digging the hot wall for the magma forges with orthogonal digging two forts ago I had no casualty in the next try and diagonal digging, the fireman did not come up and out but scared me. This time I tried the fortifcation method, with a almost legendary engraver... when will I learn to use a peasant for dangerous work?

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2740 on: October 06, 2010, 01:38:34 pm »

after losing a legendary miner to digging the hot wall for the magma forges with orthogonal digging two forts ago I had no casualty in the next try and diagonal digging, the fireman did not come up and out but scared me. This time I tried the fortifcation method, with a almost legendary engraver... when will I learn to use a peasant for dangerous work?

Probably now.  Yes, I use peasants for dangerous work too...

"UristMcHauler, come dig this out for me would ya..."
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2741 on: October 06, 2010, 02:27:09 pm »

Missing the Burn Wood job assignment and setting every single bloody dwarf to be a furnace operator in a blind rage to try and start my metal chain.

It's under Farming.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Deus Machina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2742 on: October 06, 2010, 02:49:11 pm »

Not knowing you can't sell untamed creatures.

Legendary goblin axeman that I managed to trap in the front-door cage traps, tried moving him, he would escape by the trade depot, panic, give a few elves and nearby dwarves black eyes and bloody noses, sprint for the exit, get caught in the cage. Several times.
Quote from: KillerClowns
Beneath the slade, there is sheep. By all that his holy, there are so many sheep down there. I don't know why it's sheep.

schussel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2743 on: October 06, 2010, 07:00:54 pm »

having rigged the entrance tunnel with a line of spikes  that are linked with a lever .. so orcs and or goblins and eventuell elf-traders get pierced alot

having a siege + ambush + elf trader (they really like it to be ambushed) .. managed to let go the elves so they met the orcs within the spike area .. eradicated the most ..

soo ok lets go  m -a inactive for civilians ..  .. d-b-c all on the entrance .. going to pee

coming back about 3 min later seeing the entrance even more reddish and log showing many purple messages of impaled dwarfs ^^

and down there the militia commander on break happily pulling the trigger lever ... *facepalm*

to the 5 dead of the former ambush that were caught outside 4 more on the spikes and 4 others with major wounds in the hospital ^^
at least the doc dwarf is not bugging out and working his ass off (btw a 0 diagnostician .. he never diagnosts them just sutures and sets bones like a madman)

PS: the "happy triggerhappy" militia commander just lost it when he hauled the dead dwarfes to the graveyard ^^ happens 3 of the 4 victims were his wife and 2 good friends^^  tantrum + mass brawl in the well zone resulting with meleeattacks on certain llama and chained bears there ^^ 

he's in the hospital now too being worked at by Urist MCcrazydoc (grizzly bear did less damage than llama somehow)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 07:21:55 pm by schussel »

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2744 on: October 06, 2010, 08:00:10 pm »

he's in the hospital now too being worked at by Urist MCcrazydoc (grizzly bear did less damage than llama somehow)

There seems to be an inverse danger system in dwarf fortress, animals that look less harmful do more damage than dangerous looking ones. Seen this on many occasions.
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.
Pages: 1 ... 181 182 [183] 184 185 ... 729