Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 196 197 [198] 199 200 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2126619 times)

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #2955 on: November 03, 2010, 03:58:40 am »

So... I finally took a 31.xx fort to the point where I decided to try out some military.

My fort is on an island peninsula, as described in an earlier face-palm...

Anyway! I have my marksdwarfs set up to use wood bolts (rare as wood is in my fort) for training (I'd do copper, but that would just double the cost in wood until I get magma)

And my marksdwarfs train with them.  So I made five stacks of iron bolts until I can order some flux stone from the caravan.  And vultures start scaring my dorfs, so I set the ambush alert on my marksdwarf squad to send them to the battlements of my fort and shoot at them.  And I see the quality of the bolts they are firing.

>_<

my weapon smith I was lucky enough to have get a mood and make me an iron crossbow.  So a legendary weapon smith made three of the five stacks of bolts at masterwork quality.  Which I have just set my dwarfs shooting at grabby vultures who are likely to fly off the map with them embedded in their guts.  And cause bad thoughts for my one legendary weapon smith.  Who has made a total of one artifact and three masterwork bolt stacks.  And I recall that the fewer masterworks made, the worse the bad thought for each lost.

*face palm*

I'd better go make sure my weapon smith has a hell of a great room.
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2956 on: November 03, 2010, 09:18:59 am »

Every furniture stockpile left to the default 'sandbags on'. Ugh...*smack!*

James.Denholm

• Bay Watcher
  • [HAS_NO_HUMOURS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2957 on: November 03, 2010, 04:57:38 pm »

And cause bad thoughts for my one legendary weapon smith.

I thought that bad thoughts only arose from the loss of an artifact, not merely top-quality items.
Imagine a combination of power goals 44 and 45: The ruler convenes a council of the nobles to appoint you the high priest of the nearby towns. Instead of waiting for them to finish their drinking session, you walk in and crush a goblet while berating their disgusting behaviour and general incompetence.

DukeOfVandals

• Bay Watcher
  • Diabeetus makes you sleepy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2958 on: November 04, 2010, 01:21:18 am »

Sounds like a on-the-spot loyalty cascade to me.
For example, soldier 1 'accidently' knocks soldier 2 with his axe and becomes an enemy to the fort but not the civ. Sodlier 1 dies horribly from AxeDwarf gang-rape. Anyone who assisted in his death becomes a enemy of the civ but not the fort. They do battle with all the other soldiers around them and spread the Fun around.

This.

I have only once had a loyalty cascade.

Goblin siege. Trolls in front.

My military does okay, kills the trolls. I tell them to Move over to where the goblins are next when I notice they are still fighting. But I can't find anymore trolls.

Reports notifies me that my entire military obliterated itself except for one dwarf, before the goblins reached the gates. Other dwarfs were too afraid of this lone, immobile dwarf to close the drawbridge.

Entire fort died to stupidity/loyalty cascade.

Crocatowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2959 on: November 04, 2010, 01:35:01 am »

Back in the days of .40d I stumbled across a demonic fortress... whose bottom layer was not entirely on the map... I also did not have a forge setup yet and so i had no metal doors... or a functioning military... needless to say the zombies that decided to follow my lone miner back as he was scared beyond reckoning met little to no resistance whilst slaughtering everything in my fortress (seeing that the stone doors in place were dismantled quickly)... Starting with the kittens actually. Didnt quite understand the reasoning behind that last part
The only dye dwarfs should use is MAGMA. And the only thing dwarfs should dye is ELVES.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2960 on: November 04, 2010, 03:05:51 am »

My sheriff went beserk and killed half my dwarves... All because I didn't know how to see what materials they wanted for their 'strange mood'. D'oh!
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2961 on: November 04, 2010, 07:34:04 am »

I thought that bad thoughts only arose from the loss of an artifact, not merely top-quality items.

Nope. THere's a massive happiness loss for the destruction of masterworks in "bad" ways (Bolts breaking on the target, for example, is a "good" way.) that is divided by the number of masterworks that that dwarf has made. Artifacts are even worse.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #2962 on: November 04, 2010, 08:04:10 am »

My sheriff went beserk and killed half my dwarves... All because I didn't know how to see what materials they wanted for their 'strange mood'. D'oh!

Did you check using the 'Q' Menu?

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2963 on: November 04, 2010, 09:04:00 am »

I've worked that out now. :P And I'm keeping my newly-posessed mason safely surrounded by a crack team of soldiers... Er... Unskilled recruits. :D

On topic: My dwarves have started throwing corpses down the drinking well... Somehow I think that's a bad idea...
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #2964 on: November 04, 2010, 11:33:58 am »

a bit off topic:

I just discovered that it's toady one, and not today one.

which perfectly makes sense.

*facepalms*

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2965 on: November 04, 2010, 12:22:44 pm »

Nope. THere's a massive happiness loss for the destruction of masterworks in "bad" ways (Bolts breaking on the target, for example, is a "good" way.) that is divided by the number of masterworks that that dwarf has made. Artifacts are even worse.

Hence why you should only engrave walls, so as to not accidentally have a muddy masterwork engraving get "treed".
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Miko19

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2966 on: November 04, 2010, 01:24:11 pm »

I looked at the Bay 12 DORF FORT website for the whole day, disappointed that there is STILL no 31.17 (which should be called 32.01, frankly. Or 13.37)
*EPIC FACEPALM*

Killing Time

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2967 on: November 05, 2010, 12:27:44 am »

I wish forts could be transplanted between regions. I'm excited for the new version but I don't wanna abandon my fort and its history :(

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2968 on: November 05, 2010, 01:41:24 am »

I wish forts could be transplanted between regions. I'm excited for the new version but I don't wanna abandon my fort and its history :(

So far in 31.X, you can copy your region folders from one version to the next- the only thing that might mess up there is if there are changed to the raws, as a copy is saved in your region folder, but that just means you don't benefit from any raw changes from the new version.
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!

Mortiss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2969 on: November 05, 2010, 04:29:53 am »

Fogetting that up/down stairs have a "down" component.
While prepaing a mandatory bungee jump course facility for goblins (rope optional), I have breached into a section of a caverns. Since the cave-in punched
few holes in the floor, I have quickly sealed them thinking that it will prevent flying forgotten beasts to enter.
Lo and behold I suddenly get messages that a beast is messing up my dwaf gym in a busy area of the fort.
Thought one - how the hell did that get in there? - Later discovered to be an overlooked staircase.
Thought two - Well no problem, barracks are near and thats what legendary axedwarves are for.

So I give command to kill the beast.... Tadaa.. all my military runs out from the barracks and promptly goes in the opposite direction towards living quarters and falls asleep!!! Orders show that soldiers (cannot follow order). Apparently a flying monster even in a 1 Z-level high zon is still out of reach for those axes.
Fortunately war dogs slow the thing down a bit before it damaged too many civilians. I have reorded squads to station in vicinity and it turns out that those axes had long enough handles after all.

As an epilogue - beasts blood was mildly poisonous and turned my fortess into a giant puke house.  :o

Cleaning in progress......

"You are not going crazy! You are going sane in the crazy world!"
Pages: 1 ... 196 197 [198] 199 200 ... 729