Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 200 201 [202] 203 204 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2126512 times)

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #3015 on: November 08, 2010, 11:05:58 pm »

Yeah, I had similar problems getting dwarves to be treated...

For some reason 20 or so of my dwarves (most of them children and their parents) caught the world's worse case of athlete's foot.  All of them had rotting feet.  At first, they were ticking off all my other dwarves with their miasma spewing feet. I spent a whole bunch of time trying to find the dead bodies in the miasma clouds.  Only to realize later the miasma was coming from living dwarves.  (facepalm one)

Then they walked around and eventually they stopped spewing miasma and started dying of blood loss. Then and only then did they decide to go to the doctors in the hospital.  And the doctors ignored them until they all died. (facepalm two)

Well, sort of.  One dwarf got operated on, but only because he had something else wrong with him.  He returned perfectly fine, but according to his description he had no fat left on his feet. So I interpreted this as a dwarf walking around with skeletal feet.

I'm not exactly sure why any of this happened. It seemed to be an isolated mostly to a single family (which I realized had a lot of kids).  Though I had other things to be worried about, like the tantrum spiral caused by the combination of their stinky feet (miasma they had spread) and their deaths caused.  Luckily, I had a legendary dining room.
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

mnjiman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3016 on: November 09, 2010, 12:22:08 am »

@EmeraldWind, it sounds like you had a forgotten beast who had deadly acid dust. These type of attacks leave a mist that spreads in your fortress, slowly eating away at your poor dwarfs.
I was thinking more along the lines of this legendary champion, all clad in dented and dinged up steel plate, his blood-drenched axe slung over his back, a notch in the handle for every enemy that saw the swing of that blade as the last sight they ever saw, a battered shield strapped over his arm... and a fluffy, pink stuffed hippo hidden discretely in his breastplate.

shadowzfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3017 on: November 09, 2010, 08:22:39 am »

In one of my forts I've still kept a previous save file to a few months before this monstrous thing happened, I guess it was inevitable considering the cruel things I had done.
I started this fortress like any other, when i got migrants I had this peasant who was so similar to Hitler in his preferences I named him after him. There the bloodbath began, I proceeded with plan: make the entire world your enemy. I had about 1000+ food with 18 people, and merchants came, dwarven merchants, here's where my hell began. They sought trade with me, however my dwarves would refuse to go to the trade depot although i had 2 idlers (actually on break) therefore I commenced Stage one of making an enemy of the entire world; I started blocking off access to the Trade Depot with floodgates, the dwarven merchants still being in there, eventually they died of thirst. The next time dwarven merchants came was probably the last. I left them in there, thinking all the stark raving mad ones had died I proceeded to unblock the floodgates, I was so wrong... so wrong.. One still quiet alive merchant came out, stark raving mad of course, his military instantly ran away, him with one leg started brutally murdering dwarven babies in my stockpile area. Tantrum spiral. Dwarves had made an arena out of my stockpile. Gladiator arena. Two dwarves survived the mess, a miner and a carpenter. Abandon Fortress.
Much facepalm here. Yes, I felt horrible for letting dwarves die.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3018 on: November 09, 2010, 09:38:23 am »

What should I do with all this lead, hm? Make bins with it, I guess, I could always use some more of those.

They wha...weight 170 lbs empty? Oh damn *facepalm*

and how many did I make? Over 100?!? *sinking, shaking facepalm*

And they're scattered in stockpiles all over?!? *steepled two-handed facepalm and Big Noooo!*

Beardless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3019 on: November 09, 2010, 12:52:25 pm »

In one of my forts I've still kept a previous save file to a few months before this monstrous thing happened, I guess it was inevitable considering the cruel things I had done.
I started this fortress like any other, when i got migrants I had this peasant who was so similar to Hitler in his preferences I named him after him. There the bloodbath began, I proceeded with plan: make the entire world your enemy. I had about 1000+ food with 18 people, and merchants came, dwarven merchants, here's where my hell began. They sought trade with me, however my dwarves would refuse to go to the trade depot although i had 2 idlers (actually on break) therefore I commenced Stage one of making an enemy of the entire world; I started blocking off access to the Trade Depot with floodgates, the dwarven merchants still being in there, eventually they died of thirst. The next time dwarven merchants came was probably the last. I left them in there, thinking all the stark raving mad ones had died I proceeded to unblock the floodgates, I was so wrong... so wrong.. One still quiet alive merchant came out, stark raving mad of course, his military instantly ran away, him with one leg started brutally murdering dwarven babies in my stockpile area. Tantrum spiral. Dwarves had made an arena out of my stockpile. Gladiator arena. Two dwarves survived the mess, a miner and a carpenter. Abandon Fortress.
Much facepalm here. Yes, I felt horrible for letting dwarves die.

I must be acclimating to the horror that is the in-game world of DF because my only reaction to that tale was, "You can stockpile babies? What settings would I need for that?"
So it turns out that dumping magma on skeletons is either a really bad idea or maybe like the best idea ever.

Thiickshake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3020 on: November 09, 2010, 11:20:09 pm »

74 lvl's of pump stacks one, ONE!!! pipe was made of wood "facepalm"

shadowzfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3021 on: November 10, 2010, 01:58:25 am »

More like the baby was in my stockpile playing around... and then she died... then the world went round and round.

lazygnome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3022 on: November 10, 2010, 11:21:59 am »

Start the game for the first time, see the menu, create a world, start looking for an embark point.
This embark map is small... let's try to maximize the window... no change.  Okay.  Put it back so there's not all this annoying black space.

An entire week of playing a 4x4 fortress at the default window size, until I accidentally click Maximize instead of Minimize.

Also: resizing farm plots, setting bookkeeper accuracy, enabling labors, and thinking I didn't really need stockpiles for my stuff (the wagon can hold all of it)... until a horde of vultures stole half of my food.

Hinasas

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Playing roguelikes while watching animes....
    • View Profile
« Reply #3023 on: November 10, 2010, 04:01:28 pm »

realizing that the dwarves would automatically claim bedrooms and that i didn't have to manually assign each dwarf their own room...

/facepalm
I am hereby humbly joining the chorus of FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU--

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #3024 on: November 10, 2010, 05:32:13 pm »

realizing that the dwarves would automatically claim bedrooms and that i didn't have to manually assign each dwarf their own room...

/facepalm

Wait, what?

FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUU...

Skald

• Bay Watcher
  • Longbeard
    • View Profile
« Reply #3025 on: November 10, 2010, 05:43:48 pm »

/facepalm

Wait, what?

FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUU...

Yeah, I found that out just recently too.

Nothing like finding out that 400 or so bedrooms didn't need me to manually assign them.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Personal Face palm Moment: Repeatedly drowning my miners while digging out wells and cisterns. I'm talking losing about 20 or so legendary miners, just because I didn't want to channel.

schussel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3026 on: November 10, 2010, 06:31:28 pm »

/facepalm

Wait, what?

FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUU...

Nothing like finding out that 400 or so bedrooms didn't need me to manually assign them.
Personal Face palm Moment: Repeatedly drowning my miners while digging out wells and cisterns. I'm talking losing about 20 or so legendary miners, just because I didn't want to channel.

well .. a own bedroom is a positive thought while having none makes em not very happy ... and more often sleep on the ground

tagg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3027 on: November 10, 2010, 10:07:16 pm »

/facepalm

Wait, what?

FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUU...

well .. a own bedroom is a positive thought while having none makes em not very happy ... and more often sleep on the ground
No, it's not like that, they'll sleep in the bedroom and claim it themselves. All you need to do is designate it as a bedroom and they'll take ownership on their own.

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #3028 on: November 11, 2010, 01:21:05 am »

/facepalm

Wait, what?

FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUU...

No, it's not like that, they'll sleep in the bedroom and claim it themselves. All you need to do is designate it as a bedroom and they'll take ownership on their own.

I always assigned them rooms manually the very moment the bed was constructed because overpopulation is such a constant problem. I'm just trying to get some work shops built and these migrants are coming faster than I can get their little bedrooms closets 1-tile cubby holes dug out and...

FFFFUUUUUUUUU

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #3029 on: November 11, 2010, 09:19:15 am »

/facepalm

Wait, what?

FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUU...

I always assigned them rooms manually the very moment the bed was constructed because overpopulation is such a constant problem. I'm just trying to get some work shops built and these migrants are coming faster than I can get their little bedrooms closets 1-tile cubby holes dug out and...

FFFFUUUUUUUUU

I am hereby humbly joining the chorus of FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU--
" It... it's finally over. Oh Armok it was like the end of days in some kind of gristly death bathtub of untold horror and wow that is a nice waterfall."
Embarked on a haunted volcano. I am currently terrorized by skeletal alligators.
Pages: 1 ... 200 201 [202] 203 204 ... 729