Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 225 226 [227] 228 229 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2095580 times)

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #3390 on: December 18, 2010, 09:35:01 pm »

My mayor is currently the only living thing in the fortress. He's in the hospital with various parts of his body dented. The rest of the fortress is filled with bodies, blood, and tons of miasma. The only hope for the fortress is that migrants might arrive before he dies of thirst.

He just banned export of chains.

I facepalmed at first, but then I realized that he likely is delirious from his injuries, or has lost his mind due to the deaths of everyone he knows. Then I got kinda sad.

UnrealJake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3391 on: December 18, 2010, 09:47:18 pm »

Then I got kinda sad.

Don't worry. I laughed for you.
Huochong sounds like what you hear when a ninja hits somebody with a frying pan.

"HUOOOOOOOOOO-"
*CHONG*

Stoup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3392 on: December 18, 2010, 10:22:15 pm »

Water pump+Brook+overflown reserveroir=flooded embark area. Unless my carpenter can step in in time and remove the pump, it'll eventually flood half my map. I think I can destroy it at some point by smashing the windmill with debris but damn will my site look ridiculous.
(in an attempt to create an underground reservoir safe from ice)

Harbinger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3393 on: December 18, 2010, 10:31:10 pm »

Water pump+Brook+overflown reserveroir=flooded embark area. Unless my carpenter can step in in time and remove the pump, it'll eventually flood half my map. I think I can destroy it at some point by smashing the windmill with debris but damn will my site look ridiculous.

maybe the beginnings of a FTW weapon?
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

Stoup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3394 on: December 18, 2010, 10:34:23 pm »

I'm just waiting for the first caravans to arrive, I wanna see if they get drowned.

Think I'll just abandon this site, even though my chief medical dwarf managed to smash the pump. Revisit it in adv mode?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 10:36:46 pm by Stoup »

Shardok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3395 on: December 19, 2010, 04:36:42 am »

I really should remember what this whole Temperature thing being on means...

I decided to use the nice river to irrigate the farms and got everything wet, then began to proceed to pump the water out of the farms so that they could be used, by the time I finally got everything in place and things were working it was late Autumn, and that's when I noticed it, ice. Instantly it hit me, Oh no... Now the water that I was trying to pump out of the fortress has turned to ice.

I really should of played with temperature and such turned on aeons back, just wouldn't run well on my computer.

iyaerP

• Bay Watcher
  • has mandated the production of 3 gold shields.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3396 on: December 19, 2010, 07:01:31 am »

I really should remember what this whole Temperature thing being on means...

I decided to use the nice river to irrigate the farms and got everything wet, then began to proceed to pump the water out of the farms so that they could be used, by the time I finally got everything in place and things were working it was late Autumn, and that's when I noticed it, ice. Instantly it hit me, Oh no... Now the water that I was trying to pump out of the fortress has turned to ice.

I really should of played with temperature and such turned on aeons back, just wouldn't run well on my computer.

This isn't bad. just mine out all the ice. Don't even need to pumpit.

As a bonus, make some ice walls.
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then youkill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.
Dwarf Fortress: So horrifying the players would rather talk about nice things, like Warhammer 40k.

Shardok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3397 on: December 19, 2010, 07:18:12 am »

No Iyaer, it is bad. The water inside my fortress didn't freeze, only the water directly below where the pump was pumping (and the pump), thereby Freezing my pumping of the water. I ended up just opening the doors and letting the water flush out into the fortress, as it was down to about 4/7 and 3/7 everywhere in my farms. It tracked a bit of mud all over the place, but it fixed the abundance of water.

I have been mining out any frozen ice (for example, all of it above ground from where I was pumping the water to) though. Need it for making ice things eventually.

Stoup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3398 on: December 19, 2010, 04:27:16 pm »

Just had a goblin prisoner escape from a death room. I should make sure they're less occupied next time I start my slaughter, but that will have to wait till I have fresh meatbags.

On the upside: I never realized just how many dogs I have running around my fortress. They caused him to jump off a bridge, but the lucky bastard managed to hit a bridge at a lower level. The fall wasn't fatal but he's unconscious and being gnawed on by 9+ dogs. It's actually a bit disturbing to see them in such a feeding frenzy  :o

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3399 on: December 19, 2010, 04:38:21 pm »

Dogs suck at killing anything, but they make great meatshields. My fortress was attacked by a minotaur very early, we had no military that were armed (although afterwards our soldiers were decked out in masterwork steel armor wielding masterwork and artifact steel weapons) and he charged down the stairs, busted in the dining room and attacked some dogs. I drafted about 40 people and rushed the minotaur, he passed out from exhaustion because he was being attacked by about 50 people and 30 animals, we then mach-punched his brain out and threw him in the river. Nobody was lost, but we lost about a dozen dogs to his rampage.

Dr McFacekick

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3400 on: December 19, 2010, 05:21:45 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

*Sigh* It was all going so well, too.

Stoup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3401 on: December 19, 2010, 07:51:05 pm »

Learned the hard way that water can "spray" horizontally, without any floor beneath it.

The hard way.

Though that isn't what killed my soon-to-be-legendary miner, it's a lesson I learned from the event.

Also: Be damn CAREFUL with water pressure. It's mind-bogglingly powerful.

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3402 on: December 19, 2010, 10:21:32 pm »

maybe the beginnings of a FTW weapon?

I just realized two things. 1. For the Win and F___ the World have the same initials. 2. They have the same meaning in Dwarf Fortress.
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3403 on: December 20, 2010, 12:10:41 am »

FTW, FTW!

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3404 on: December 20, 2010, 01:24:34 am »

I embarked on a volcano with no flux (I think I mentioned some of my previous troubles) so I ordered some from my liason, and it arrived with the next caravan, yay!

My Mason decided that marble would be a great material for a door as marble is the only flux stone that isn't set green in the Z-Stones menu.

*face palm, apply directly to the forehead*

--edit--

Also, my dyer has a mood and just gave birth to a baby which is now crawling around my fort on its own...
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 01:48:58 am by Reese »
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!
Pages: 1 ... 225 226 [227] 228 229 ... 729