Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 314 315 [316] 317 318 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2095503 times)

Kc_spot

• Bay Watcher
  • RAW RAW OUT THINK THA POWAH!!!
    • View Profile
    • DFnoob
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #4725 on: July 14, 2011, 12:25:17 pm »

so animals are in-fighting now? great.

JSYK I save scumed this so right now i'm in a universe where this didn't happen.... more or less

So I was ignoring the animal fighting, thoo i notice that 2 dwarves were idling near the wagon as well (i had yet to make a meeting area)

the wagon was parked near a small pond (7 deep o course)

so i mind my own business. out of nowhere i get messages the 2 dwarves died? turns out the animals attacked them. GUESS WHERE THEY DODGED TO. no go on guess.

and so 2 of my starting 7 died of drowning and we almost had a tantrum spiral.

just thought i'd share that.
Yours is the fort that will pierce the hells!

Oh look, A DF blog.

This is a goblin skull loo. all craftdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encrusted with troll teeth.

Organon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4726 on: July 14, 2011, 05:38:50 pm »

Preparing to explore the caverns, I built a trap corridor linking my staircase to the caverns, with raisable bridges on both sides. I then give the order to remove the remaining wall on the cavern side. Almost immediately, a forgotten beast comes FLYING over the weapon traps. It goes after the miner, who also happens to be a competent axedwarf fortunately. However, he is carrying a pick at the time, having just completed a mining job. He does a good job fighting the beast, first damaging the wings and shell, then dodging several attacks. The military is rushing to assist him. However, he fails to doge one time, and the beast bites through his leg. Then the rest of the military arrives, easily dispatching the beast. However, the miner-axedwarf quickly bleeds to death.

Reasonably satisfied with that outcome, I order the military to enter the caverns. Once they are in, orders are issued to raise the bridges. While some dwarf is on his way to do that, one of the military dwarves decides that he's sleepy and rather wouldn't help exploring the caverns. It so happens that the trigger puller completes his job while Urist McSleepyhead is still in the trap corridor. He falls asleep on the floor. comfortably resting on a weapon trap. -- Several minutes later, I decide I have explored enough and order the military back. As a command is issued to lower the bridges, a crushing sound is heard (as well as the 'Wihelm yell'* -- I'm running Soundsense :) ) as Urist McSleepyhead is caught between... well, a bridge and a weapon trap... and disintegrates...  :o

Edit: * It's called the Wilhelm scream, actually; 'yell' seems funnier though :)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 05:50:35 pm by Organon »

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #4727 on: July 15, 2011, 03:00:06 am »

Just had a dwarf pull the magma flood lever without checking if anyone was in the channels.  Melted three dwarves, a baby and a bunny rabbit. Whoops.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4728 on: July 15, 2011, 03:19:31 pm »

I tried to flood some goblins trapped in cages in a chamber beneath my moat. They survived in their water-proof birch cages of course. The real face-palm came in the fact that there was an open hatch in the chamber, which led to several levels of staircases, leading down to a corridor that jutted out several floors above a vast underground cave. Unfortunately, there was a miner at the end of the corridor mining opals, and he was surprised by a sudden onslaught of water from the stairs above, and was swept three floors down into the cave, breaking both legs.

It was OK though, he was ecstatic after seeing a beautiful waterfall!

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #4729 on: July 15, 2011, 03:20:16 pm »

now i'll go grab a glass of water. i'll leave df running. let's bet how many facepalm situations will happen? >.>

edit: Couldn't even LEAVE the CHAIR XD two thiefs and an ambush straight away. i'm going to die from thirst. XD

edit n°2: experiment starts now!

edit n°3: experiment terminated: it seems the remaining ambush ended through the traps, dieing.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 03:25:22 pm by shadenight123 »
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Mordoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4730 on: July 15, 2011, 04:33:30 pm »

"press shift while moving"

FFFFFFFFFF... WHAT!?

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #4731 on: July 16, 2011, 06:11:53 am »

This will be long. Lets start at my very beginning.

1. I didn't read the wiki, so my first dozen forts were lots of FUN, that is where I learned most of the basics, by myself, my logic and a whole lot of FUN.

2. "Hey look, a tree! [Cut]. Another tree! [ Cut ], another...tree [...cut...]" and that went on and on for my lumber.

Until I learned that when you press d>t then click, it starts as the HIGHLIGHTER for what you want to work with. There I was clicking every SINGLE tree in a forested biome!

3. "A murky Pool, filled with water! Lets farm!" *Thunk* "AHHH WATER!!!"

And I thought getting touched by water would flood every tile it hits [didn't learn the 1/7 rule yet] so then I deconstructed every workshop/thing in the way of the water and then moved to higher ground.
It dried back and I tried to wall it back in, then the rains came...This went on until I abandoned my fort to the horrid view of blue ~'s

4. *Post siege/abandoned fort* "What in Armok's bloody hand, the invaders are friendly? Ahh that is good, very good."

*Orders everyone to move to the entrance, currently filled with goblins and some trolls.

"Hello friends, we would like to occupy our-...is that dwarf bone crafts you're wearing?"

"FOOD!!!"

And then they all proceeded to greet us with a warm welcoming hand.

Addition:
I discovered reading what is on screen helps a lot. I finally discovered the "d" key in trading. That beat finding my carefully crafted lavish meals through ~40 pages or so of stone and other stuff. And I only learned that after a wrong key press, "What just happened?! *looks at keys* Oh..."
~~~

Then to my Advanced stage, I did not yet discover the wiki and have basic ideas on what to do. [Or rather, I did but I didn't read any of it yet. No spoily fun at all]

"Invaders are approaching, get the military out! Then lower the drawbridge, that'll give us time to rush 'em"

Inside
d.d.d.d.                    where d-Dwarf
ddd.d...                             b-raised drawbridge 7x7 squared thick made of fine bauxite
bbbbbbb                            It continues like this for the next 3 or so squares
Outside

"Here they come, PULL the lever!"

Sweaty hands grasped the leather handle, pulling with all their might on the lever. The sound of gears were heard moving. Five, Six, Seven... The bridge would lower soon. Looking at the militia, most of them had a mix of apathy and fear although they were seasoned veterans out of years of training and fighting.

Then Courage and determination flashed across their faces like a wave of emotion seen through the mastercrafted steel helmets. The first rays of light were peeking from the opening in the ceiling, the bridge was coming down. All the heroes and recruits were ready and gathered to face a full goblin army led by a Legendary general, one whose name struck fear in those fighting against them.

The cranking of the gears stopped, the hinges loosened, the drawbridge fell freely to the ground to light the area with pure sunlight and a welcoming view of the outside world.

And the good part, the drawbridge was colored red.

You could fathom a guess on where it fell

That killed one of my best forts...

Blood for the Blood God!
« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 07:31:39 am by Tiruin »

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4732 on: July 16, 2011, 08:07:56 am »

In one of my earlier forts, this marksdorf died and became murderous.
He was a named ghost because he killed so many.
I made tons of coffins trying to put him to rest.
Then I remembered slabs.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Manic Typist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4733 on: July 16, 2011, 09:53:12 am »

Mixing up what order gears are placed in when linking levers and bridges.

Instead of putting a legendary gear in the middle of my dining hall, I put it on the bridge that dumps things into lava, where no one will see it.

Lezard

• Bay Watcher
  • Detests !!Caravans!! for their terrifing antics.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4734 on: July 16, 2011, 04:19:58 pm »

Instead of putting a legendary gear in the middle of my dining hall, I put it on the bridge that dumps things into lava, where no one will see it.

well, no one who'll have any time to appreciate it.....
Currently I have "The Breached Anus of brides"  sounds like a disastrous honey moon.
Exactly. Ethics in DF are very realistic - trivial and pointlessly selectively ex/inclusive.

The Master

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #4735 on: July 17, 2011, 12:36:29 am »

EXCEPT IN THE AFTERLIFE! DUN DUN DUUUUUN!
Holy jesus I thought I was ready but nothing could have prepared me for this
Hush, little Asea, don't you cry.
If he notices we'll surely die!
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #4736 on: July 17, 2011, 01:21:17 am »

Oh my, what a lovely geAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRGH *splash*

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4737 on: July 17, 2011, 02:11:20 am »

Oh my, what a lovely geAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRGH *splash*

Quoted for the sigtext thread.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4738 on: July 17, 2011, 09:23:19 am »

Went 5 years fortress time with no soap.  I have a custom reaction to make soap as well as the vanilla to get around the dodgeyness of lye.  But it kept showing up red.

After 5 years of intermittently checking the workshop to see if I can make it I figure maybe something with my soap reaction got messed up somehow.  I examine my raws, and find no issues, I can't figure it out.

Then I decide to make some soap the vanilla way, just so that my wounded would not get infected so often.  I make some lye successfully and make sure it isn't watered down and go to the soaper's workshop.  Still no useable soap reaction.

And that's when I finally realize, I never bothered to make a kitchen, so I have no tallow.  That's why I can't make soap, Tallow was the missing ingredient in both reactions.  I'm so used to fat being magically made into tallow with no input from me that I forgot that theres a requirement for it.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4739 on: July 17, 2011, 09:43:27 am »

Goblin snatcher and elven merchants arrive simultaneously. Elves spend a few months trying to get inside my fortress but constantly get scared at the sight of the (for some reason) stationary snatcher. Pussies.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04
Pages: 1 ... 314 315 [316] 317 318 ... 729