Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 328 329 [330] 331 332 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2130910 times)

Mr Theif

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #4935 on: August 25, 2011, 03:59:13 pm »

I have quite a few facepalms since I just starting playing less than a month ago.

Fort One I flooded partly since I did not know the joy of pull the lever to close the flood gate. I then was putting a well down in my magma workshops for the hell of it and did not know the the water would work like real water which would cause it to flood half of my supply rooms and wash away all my ores.

Fort two, Cyclopes shows up and I think now big deal since I have ten dwarves in full iron and a few traps in front of my fort. So I thought lets have my guys beat him up after he goes through the traps, so I put them right behind the traps. I then waited, and waited, Then I found out that he got into my base since I dug up so many walls to get all that iron. The cyclopes only killed one dwarf, the dwarf that EVERYONE else likes. You know what happens from there.

Fort three my first above ground , a small face palm since I almost forgot to make anything to trade with the first merchants and I almost forgot to make a trade depot. Next I tried to move a rive to come in and out of the fort for my hospitable and fishingdwarves, I channeled out one z level to low which cause it to fill the lower z level and then began to fill the one above it, I was lucky enough to see that it was doing this pretty earlier one so I had my guys make a wall to block off the river which two of my dwaves were on the wrong side of this wall. These two guys tried to swim up but ended up drowning, I lost my broker and some random dwarf. Then a FB shows up in one of the caverns, so I walled off the cavern since I had not military yet. He goes away and then shows make up in my stair case since they did not finish the wall ever.

Current fort another above ground fort, Well the only thing I face palmed about yet is the stupid buzzards will never stop bothering me.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4936 on: August 25, 2011, 05:19:20 pm »

Through rigorous and wholly involuntary testing I have come to the conclusion that checking the inventory of my recuperating miners causes the game to crash.

Maybe it has to do with the amount of blood in it. Because I tried to check the inventory of some wild and annoying animal (or maybe one of my war-beasties, don't recall) and it crashed then too.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4937 on: August 25, 2011, 05:50:26 pm »

So, after a little designation error, I kind of killed twelve dwarfs and smashed the whole food stockpile with about sixteen z-levels of rock.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4938 on: August 25, 2011, 06:19:00 pm »

So, after a little designation error, I kind of killed twelve dwarfs and smashed the whole food stockpile with about sixteen z-levels of rock.
Your avatar looks impressed.

Malarauko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4939 on: August 25, 2011, 08:22:13 pm »

Probably with one of my first forts when a troll broke a door down and everyone got massacred by goblins. I only found out about building destroyers later.
Dwarf Fortress - Losing is fun.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4940 on: August 25, 2011, 08:40:19 pm »

Mine'd be the time I accidentally released a pack of angry badgers into the middle of my fortress.

That was... well, not so good.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

NewsMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4941 on: August 26, 2011, 06:07:34 am »

My Craftsdwarf has poor creativity, while being incredibly creative.
Seriously, it says she has poor creativity in her mental stats section, but incredible creativity in her personality section.

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4942 on: August 26, 2011, 02:19:15 pm »

"Wait, you can assign dorfs to build something entirely out of one material instead of hitting "accept" 10 times?!"

Malarauko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4943 on: August 26, 2011, 03:28:36 pm »

"Wait, you can assign dorfs to build something entirely out of one material instead of hitting "accept" 10 times?!"
Yeah this after making 1000 pieces of wall for my above ground defences.
Dwarf Fortress - Losing is fun.

Kaleb702 Games

• Bay Watcher
  • nearlyNonexistent
    • View Profile
    • My YYG Account
« Reply #4944 on: August 26, 2011, 06:10:41 pm »

"Wait... If you use 2 floodgates you DON'T accidentally flood your place by filling it with river water?"
Quote from: Rose Lalonde, Seer of Light
One simple word can so easily begin a story in a very thick book.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4945 on: August 27, 2011, 12:33:26 am »

Using the 'record' feature to designate out a large chunk of my rooms only to realize I made a mistake halfway through, but not realizing it until after I reused the feature to designate 3/4's of my fortress.

Also realizing that I could use the 'record' and 'play' features in the trading menu for item selection. Much easier to hit ctrl+p 50 times then to hit down+enter 3000 times to select all of my crafts for trading but not the bins that they are in.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

crekit

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't know what he's talking about.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4946 on: August 28, 2011, 12:03:23 am »

If you designate a square for mining below a square for channeling, the dorf will channel down and then remove the ramp, locking himself in.

Also, dorfs who are 'hunting for small animals' cannot build ramps.

(I only knew about this because I hit v or whatever, and saw someone hunting for vermin. I had just received an imagrant trapper [as in, like 15 of them], but didn't have any traps so I investigated.)
<-- Has no idea what just happened.

He likes gold, native gold, trees that are made of gold, and tungsten. He likes cats for their haunting meows. He needs dwarf fortress to get through the working day. When possible, prefers to consume Potatoes, cheese, cow milk. Absolutely detests elves. And spiders.

Shurhaian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4947 on: August 28, 2011, 01:58:23 am »

If you designate a square for mining below a square for channeling, the dorf will channel down and then remove the ramp, locking himself in.

Also, dorfs who are 'hunting for small animals' cannot build ramps.

(I only knew about this because I hit v or whatever, and saw someone hunting for vermin. I had just received an imagrant trapper [as in, like 15 of them], but didn't have any traps so I investigated.)

Let this be a lesson: "Hunting for small vermin" is never something you want to see. Trapping is handled by differently-named jobs (capturing live animal? Can't recall offhand). Hunting for vermin only ever means that the dwarf is starving and trying to find a meal.

As for my own... hmm. Seeing the merchants come in to the depot, moving goods, noting that the trader was on break, intending to watch for it to end (or free the depot for trading by anyone if the merchants gave a departure warning), and going off on a grand construction project and completely missing the merchants getting ready to go and leaving might qualify. I was short of booze, too...
Working on: drakes - making the skies(mostly) a bit more varied

My guards need something better to do than make my nobles happy with hugs and justice.

Valdrax

• Bay Watcher
  • HUGE ELF (bluh bluh)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4948 on: August 28, 2011, 03:19:09 am »

Also realizing that I could use the 'record' and 'play' features in the trading menu for item selection. Much easier to hit ctrl+p 50 times then to hit down+enter 3000 times to select all of my crafts for trading but not the bins that they are in.

This thread is a gold mine of ways to improve your play and dent your nose.
The history of a good fortress is not written in blood, it's painted on the walls by the hand of a melancholy orphan.

CrundleHorn

• Bay Watcher
  • CrundleHorn
    • View Profile
« Reply #4949 on: August 28, 2011, 10:30:36 am »

Damn it, I left the upward spike traps on again. THC + DF=fail
CrundleHorn
Pages: 1 ... 328 329 [330] 331 332 ... 729