Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 337 338 [339] 340 341 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2115703 times)

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #5070 on: September 24, 2011, 11:27:11 pm »

Doing an obsidian cast to penetrate an aquifer.  Built a quartzite bridge over the site so that I can drop a 4x4 of magma right into the channeled out aquifer tiles.

The magma is flowing in and I'm close to closing the gate and then retracting the bridge... when the bridge disintegrates!   :o

I put a non-magma safe mechanism in it when I linked it to the lever.  D'oh!   :-[
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5071 on: September 25, 2011, 12:24:28 am »

Here I got one. It is from a while back, but I forgot about it.

I had made a statue garden outside to fight cave adaption and it worked.
Imagine my surprise during a siege a butch of dwarfs are walking outside despite an alert.
I quickly notice they are all going to the statue garden. I look at the statue garden and
there's already a party going on! I double check the alert. It's set to the right one.

Did you know that statue gardens trump alerts?

I didn't. Naturally, the dwarves kind of stood there looking confused when I freed the statue
from the garden.

Dwarf 1: Hey, let's go to the statue garden.
Dwarf 2: Err... the statue garden is outside and we can't go there's a siege.
Dwarf 1: No, its a statue garden and according to the Dwarven Book of Laws: "Statue Gardens are meeting halls. Meeting Halls are considered to be inside regardless of location or lack of ceiling."
Dwarf 2: I don't know about that...
Dwarf 1: Come on, Urist is having a party out there.
Dwarf 2: Why didn't you say so!? Let's go!

We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5072 on: September 25, 2011, 02:40:06 am »

"For my dining room waterfall, I'll just tap into the bottom of the lake and drain it into the aquifer. That way I never run out of water... okay, floodgates, check. Grates, check. Pressure plates, check. Drain into the aquifer, check. PULL THE LEVER!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWdLt3Afjrg

*facepalm*

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #5073 on: September 25, 2011, 05:57:39 am »

I built a water reactor atop an aquifer.  I'm learning the true meaning of "perpetual motion" right now while i try to build along the active wheel to make it bigger.

Undercroft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5074 on: September 25, 2011, 07:18:02 am »

Setting up in a haunter biome, and putting off walling in a bit too long.

250 early spring the fortress of Brainslow was founded.
250 mid spring the fortress of Brainslow withered.

the local ogres were curious. too curious.

MrAnderson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5075 on: September 25, 2011, 11:11:16 am »

"For my dining room waterfall, I'll just tap into the bottom of the lake and drain it into the aquifer. That way I never run out of water... okay, floodgates, check. Grates, check. Pressure plates, check. Drain into the aquifer, check. PULL THE LEVER!"

I did the same, but with an ocean and without the waterfall. the channel i built for drainage was flooded in a frame i think. but the best part was what the unlucky miner did to avoid the possibly fatal crush against the walls:

at first i thought, he was atomized by the water, but then i found him 3z above. he must have dodged into the freshly drained part of the ocean! no swimming skill, but dabbling dodger from enlisting in the military... i had to laugh out loud when i saw this  :D

Doomchild-

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5076 on: September 26, 2011, 02:38:57 am »

The hunter hits the Alligator in the head with the ☼Alligator bone bolt☼
A masterwork of Urist McBonecarver has been lost
Urist McBonecarver cancels 'Make Bone bolts': throwing tantrum
Urist McBonecarver has gone stark raving mad

j => m => q => rock coffin

i hate those early masterwork bolts... any way to prevent them from being used untill the bonecarver has produces a few hundred of them?

ZeroSumHappiness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5077 on: September 26, 2011, 05:09:27 am »

Create a separate stockpile for Masterwork and Legendary ammo, take from your normal ammo stockpile?  Then you'd have to burrow your marksdwarves to avoid the Masterwork stockpile I guess.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 05:11:31 am by ZeroSumHappiness »

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5078 on: September 26, 2011, 10:13:05 am »

The hunter hits the Alligator in the head with the ☼Alligator bone bolt☼
A masterwork of Urist McBonecarver has been lost
Urist McBonecarver cancels 'Make Bone bolts': throwing tantrum
Urist McBonecarver has gone stark raving mad

j => m => q => rock coffin

i hate those early masterwork bolts... any way to prevent them from being used untill the bonecarver has produces a few hundred of them?

press z, go to stocks, select the right bolts and press f. Ta-da.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5079 on: September 26, 2011, 11:07:51 am »

I Once tried to make a mild sedative syndrome that's spread by cats. However, I forgot a few zeroes when setting the ignition point. So instead of my dwarves yawning, and then taking a peaceful nap, they scream and run around as their body roasts from the inside out.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 05:08:57 pm by Mrhappyface »
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5080 on: September 26, 2011, 11:29:08 am »

I Once tried to make a mild sedative syndrome that's spread by cats. However, I forgot a few zeroes when setting the ignition point. So instead of mh dwarves yawning, and then taking a peaceful nap, they scream and run around as their body roasts from the inside out.
This is the kind of sedative we should use for insomniacs and Bay12forums mental institutions  :P

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5081 on: September 26, 2011, 11:38:13 am »

I Once tried to make a mild sedative syndrome that's spread by cats. However, I forgot a few zeroes when setting the ignition point. So instead of mh dwarves yawning, and then taking a peaceful nap, they scream and run around as their body roasts from the inside out.
This is the kind of sedative we should use for insomniacs and Bay12forums mental institutions  :P
Aha! That would be awesome.

Uh... You know. For mental institutions :D

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5082 on: September 26, 2011, 01:38:36 pm »

A vile force of darkness had a date with my masons as they were three stones from completing the outer curtain wall.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5083 on: September 26, 2011, 02:23:46 pm »

Oh ouch.

Edit; as I see Vehudur's signature
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I think about modding in plutonium warhammers. Er. Hm.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 02:32:14 pm by FrisianDude »
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Specter513

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5084 on: September 26, 2011, 06:13:59 pm »

A vile force of darkness has appeared!
Urist McBestAxeman has been shot and killed!
WHAT?
Checking combat report

"Urist McBestAxeman was hit by a silver arrow in the head, crushing the brain!"
One arrow killed my best warrior with 20 kills. I was PO'd.
Leprechauns actually. That "magically delicious taste" prefstring soon lead to their total extinction.
Congratulations, you killed the only things considered dominant and have heralded the end of civilization in your world as you know it.
Pages: 1 ... 337 338 [339] 340 341 ... 729