Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 341 342 [343] 344 345 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2115458 times)

Spacespinner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #5130 on: October 03, 2011, 11:47:13 am »

That would be just now. When I set an order to lower a bridge at the same time as I set an alert to retreat during a siege, then Urist McTriggerhappy decides to go and pull it after I call the all clear, crushing 11 dwarves.
Most people's relationship with Dwarf Fortress is akin to Stockholm Syndrome.

James009

• Bay Watcher
  • Under centaur siege for going on three years now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5131 on: October 03, 2011, 02:35:23 pm »

Found out yesterday I DIDN'T have to designate each bedroom to an individual dwarf :')
Recently slaughtered by the undead!

CaptainBadwheel

• Bay Watcher
  • Either a Doomsday Device or an Ice Cream maker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5132 on: October 03, 2011, 08:33:33 pm »

Had a Miner stuck in traction for THREE YEARS. His profile said he was slow to heal, so I assumed...that...well anyway, back to work you.

Spacespinner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5133 on: October 04, 2011, 12:17:56 am »

Sigh.. Latest artifact I've made was a big facepalm moment. Smith claims an anvil to use to make an artifact. I'm sitting here wondering what he's gonna make, and it turns out to be a silver anvil. with a image of a silver anvil on it.
Most people's relationship with Dwarf Fortress is akin to Stockholm Syndrome.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #5134 on: October 04, 2011, 10:50:35 am »

I just lost an hour's work of careful floor-laying to a game crash.  For the second time tonight.  (thankfully i wasn't as far back this time)

Komra

• Bay Watcher
  • This is your brain on DF
    • View Profile
« Reply #5135 on: October 04, 2011, 02:15:54 pm »

So you had a mood invent electroplating? nice.
But you never see a movie where a terrible coal plant accident causes a horrible devastation, do you? Nope, everyone seems to think that nuclear plants get their energy by smacking live atomic warheads all day or something.

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5136 on: October 04, 2011, 04:10:08 pm »

Walled in a mason making animal powered watchtowers. Didn't realize. Spend a bit of time figuring out how to get him out. No one wants to do it... finally they do. He's trying to hunt vermin in a 1x1 space. Finally the mason gets the wall down. I start dealing with migrants. "Urdim McReallyThirsty has died of thirst". Half way to the dining hall.
: Miner dwarves? In my volcano?

:I put childs into danger room...
They die, and their parents care nothing because legendary dining room.

CaptainBadwheel

• Bay Watcher
  • Either a Doomsday Device or an Ice Cream maker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5137 on: October 04, 2011, 08:39:35 pm »

I forgot to stock up on silk and had a military dwarf get a mood then go berserk, he killed two clothiers and bit a baby to death.  When my military got there a swordsdwarf cut off both his arms but he still bit a speardwarf (a one-handed speardwarf at that) and shaking him around for three whole pages throwing in a few kicks here and there. Finally the guy bled to death.  Berserk dwarf in Exceptional Steel Plate=bad.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5138 on: October 05, 2011, 02:17:38 am »

My Circus Bunker is demon-proof thanks to everyone having to enter via a floorhatch above them and going down a staircase.  It would help if I'd remembered to lock all the hatches.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5139 on: October 05, 2011, 06:08:06 am »

A rat monster is beating on an unconcious wrestler.  With a pig tail fiber mitten.  Every blow is deflecting off his cotton candy helm

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5140 on: October 05, 2011, 10:35:04 am »

Maybe I should do that as well, yeah.

Also, Zefon somethingsomething the Bone Carver got badgered into a small muddy pool and drowned a few seconds before a Dwarf opened the pool. Her body was destroyed by the flow which is really odd because it was six or seven tiles of 7/7 water at most. Oh well, I'll slab her anyway.

Her body isnt destroyed, just hidden. You'll still find her and all her clothing and equipment in the stockpile menus, you can unforbid them, and your Dwarves will haul them away. Happened to me too with a warrior in all-steel, took me a while to figure it out!  ;)
You sure? I can't find her.  Neither among corpses nor body parts. Edit, woops, there she is. Not forbidding or anything.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 10:36:37 am by FrisianDude »
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Eoganachta

• Bay Watcher
  • The Second Mouse Gets The Cheese
    • View Profile
« Reply #5141 on: October 05, 2011, 11:22:10 pm »

I had one of my archers fall down my dodge-em trap from the balcony above. I really need to install some handrails.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Giant Cave Spider Wagons. Where are your Gods now Goblins?
This minecart has more kills then every other weapon in the mountainhomes.
Quote from: Broken
every place i go ends covered in vomit
Quote from: Karnewarrior
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5142 on: October 06, 2011, 07:31:44 am »

Maybe I should do that as well, yeah.

Also, Zefon somethingsomething the Bone Carver got badgered into a small muddy pool and drowned a few seconds before a Dwarf opened the pool. Her body was destroyed by the flow which is really odd because it was six or seven tiles of 7/7 water at most. Oh well, I'll slab her anyway.

Her body isnt destroyed, just hidden. You'll still find her and all her clothing and equipment in the stockpile menus, you can unforbid them, and your Dwarves will haul them away. Happened to me too with a warrior in all-steel, took me a while to figure it out!  ;)
You sure? I can't find her.  Neither among corpses nor body parts. Edit, woops, there she is. Not forbidding or anything.

The murky pools do that. Are you sure the body and equipment arent forbidden? I have had that happen now twice in this fort: someone dies in murky pool, the pool is dried, but all the stuff is missing (and temperature=off so the water doesnt freeze either). Looking around with the "k" and nothing. Unforbidding the stuff in the stockpile menu, and dwarves come dig them up and haul away.

Communist adventure

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5143 on: October 06, 2011, 11:42:13 pm »

I had a catspolsion (i should've remembered to unpause when i go to the bathroom) and all the dwarfs now have a pet and i demand one to butcher another guys cat to decrease the problem then they start fighting injuring other cats. Then everybody gets mad about there cat getting hurt and start killing each other causing more cats to get hurt etc etc. Then goblins come in and snatch all the kids while killing a couple of dwarves and then eventually all the dwarves killed each other.

Losing isn't fun all the time

drakon136

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5144 on: October 06, 2011, 11:49:40 pm »

Losing isn't fun all the time
Then you just aren't losing hard enough.
Anyways, in my current fort, I was busy ordering my entire fortress to mine out a huge vein of magnetite I found. All 12 of them were happily digging out ore to turn into iron. Unfortunately, I mined the wrong rock, and caused a cave-in that killed them all.
Pages: 1 ... 341 342 [343] 344 345 ... 729