Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 358 359 [360] 361 362 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2112332 times)

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #5385 on: November 30, 2011, 10:27:16 pm »

I embarked in a new location with two woodcutters and no axe...so far lots of peeved dwarves waiting to take their turn laying on the two wood beds we've got in the sleeping area...
do you have any wood? you could make training axes and if you dont have wood you could dissasemble the wagon

Seems like he already did, built carpentry with one unit of wood, then used the other two to build beds.

Actually it's better than that... I built carpentry with one unit of stone then used wood to build two beds and a table (because you can't build tables with stone!!!....wait for it....wait for it.....*WHAM* facepalm).

No !fun! yet but angry bored dwarves could be very !FUN! in short order.

What? Cannot build tables with stone?
Then what have I been building all this time?

roughedge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5386 on: December 01, 2011, 12:18:03 am »

I ordered the mass slaughter of a HUGE hatchery and kennels. Miasma was a certain endeavour for all sorts of reason. More than half of the food was wasted and in the process it caused major tantruming and a cascade of murder, imprisonment, random object throwing and such.... My fortress was a booming center of well being, now it is full of dwarves getting used to slaughter! Come to think of it, Thumbs Up!

Endiqua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5387 on: December 01, 2011, 10:45:26 am »

What? Cannot build tables with stone?
Then what have I been building all this time?

I think that's the facepalm.   :D
DF sets out a challenge to us with no explanation and no assistance, and each time we fail it becomes more merciless, but we continue in the hopes that we can show it, "See?  I'm doing good, right?  I kept the little men alive!  You're proud of me, right?"

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5388 on: December 03, 2011, 01:48:51 pm »

While working on my Pokemon mod, I noticed Butterfree's various [MATERIAL_BREATH_ATTACK]s were causing it, and everyone else around them, to melt to death. Then while zoning out at work, I realized they were shooting gas(all but one use UNDIRECTED_VAPOR, the other, to mimic Confusion, is TRAILING_DUST_FLOW to push stuff around), and I had defined only a solid state name and a melting temperature.

Only that was wrong. I never also put in liquid state definitions, and those were causing puddles of burnt Butterfree, along with the occassional melted alpaca. I'm still getting "caught in a burst of  !" messages, but so far, the only meltings so far have been after getting hit with a [FIREBREATH]-based attack(which has otherwise been 100% ineffective at doing anything for some reason).
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

stonedwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5389 on: December 03, 2011, 02:15:15 pm »

some giant badgers appeared and i tought they would be a good target for my military to train. one dwarf was killed 3 dwarfs drowned in a murky pool....

WolfeyS

• Bay Watcher
  • My wife just died. Oh, damn nice door that one is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5390 on: December 03, 2011, 09:53:21 pm »

some giant badgers appeared and i tought they would be a good target for my military to train. one dwarf was killed 3 dwarfs drowned in a murky pool....

So 3 dorfs thought that combat = swimming?
My Steam Account

You just know you're screwed when a dwarf dies of old age.

Fishbulb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5391 on: December 03, 2011, 10:47:04 pm »

Replace "badger" with "capybara" and the exact same thing happened to me. An entire squad drowned in a puddle, and the little rat just meandered off the map.

Note to self: Build a highly elaborate, automated, and preferably catastrophe-prone system for training the recruits in swimming.

runhidesurvive

• Bay Watcher
  • And let there be a moderate amount of light!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5392 on: December 04, 2011, 01:17:35 pm »

Replace "badger" with "capybara" and the exact same thing happened to me. An entire squad drowned in a puddle, and the little rat just meandered off the map.

Note to self: Build a highly elaborate, automated, and preferably catastrophe-prone system for training the recruits in swimming.
you could just get the genesis mod, that has a swimming pool

ProGenitor

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5393 on: December 04, 2011, 01:39:48 pm »

-
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 01:02:24 pm by ProGenitor »

WolfeyS

• Bay Watcher
  • My wife just died. Oh, damn nice door that one is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5394 on: December 04, 2011, 06:28:06 pm »

Dude create a thread for that atleast, not here.  That's my WTF moment.
My Steam Account

You just know you're screwed when a dwarf dies of old age.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #5395 on: December 06, 2011, 02:24:44 pm »

I like modding in races, but using one of the pre-existing language files annoyed me, so I decided that the obvious solution was to waste 10 hours of my life writing a program that would generate an internally-consistent list of made-up words. Please consider that absolutely nobody will likely ever see or care about the state of my mods' language files except myself.

That's not the facepalm moment, by the way. That's just my attempt at bragging.

While the program could spit out phonemic pronunciations, I was too lazy to bother teaching it how to come up with spellings for the words. That would require thought and effort, you see.
This meant that, for each language file, I would have to transliterate every single hodgepodge of capital and lowercase letters into something actual humans could read and pronounce. For those of you who have better things to do than count how many words DF knows, that's more than 2500 words that I would have to manually write out.

"It's not like you have a choice," I told myself; "It's not like you could check to see if's there's a utility for that or, y'know, just shut up and use one of the pre-existing languages." So I got down to work.

1 and 1/5 language files, 3 mind-numbing hours and more than 3000 words later, I learned that there is a utility called DFLang that claimed to be able to take a list of at least 100 words from any real or made-up language and use them to generate a DF language file containing words that could belong to the source language.
I downloaded it and gave it a test run, hoping to Armok that, for the sake of my pride, it would prove to be another half-assed piece of amateurish crud that would crash if you looked at it funny and wouldn't work right even at the best of times.
To my absolute horror, it worked perfectly, cutting the amount of words I needed to transliterate for Language #2 from 2500 to 200, just as it would have done for Language #1 had I actually bothered to check the forums first before I put in any potentially-unnecessary work.

Is it okay to cry if the injury's self-inflicted?

EDIT: Phonetic. Phonemic. One flubbed letter, two distinct meanings. Urrrrgh.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 10:20:52 pm by Mr Frog »
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5396 on: December 06, 2011, 06:19:59 pm »

You could have saved yourself the trouble of writing the program too. There's a name generator here that can be used to produce consistent names / words. I just fed it several instances of the North American Spanish scrabble set and sifted through the results, but you can generate a pageful of letter combinations pronounceable by human tongues.

I used that and then took the results to Notepad so I could reuse the same stems for words that were considered symbolically important (I think the words for 'soul' and 'spider' were almost the same), but I got fed up with the typing. If I were to go back to that race and finish it off I'd use DFLang, feed it what I'd done so far, and then alter the important words myself...
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #5397 on: December 06, 2011, 09:14:53 pm »

On those above, I'd really think we now need a compilation thread in the Modding board of links to those programs or such.

Eidolon

• Bay Watcher
  • Floating weightless in a cavern.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5398 on: December 06, 2011, 09:34:17 pm »

First migrant wave in a new fortress.

"You're a jeweler now."
"But my life's passion is dissecting fish, you monster!"
In ancient times, men built wonders, laid claim to the stars, and sought to better themselves for the good of all.
But we are much wiser now.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #5399 on: December 06, 2011, 10:14:59 pm »

[Horrifying revelation]

AAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRThanks a bunch for the tip, I'll check it outRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHH *

Not Really An Edit: Well, actually, the program I wrote generates strings of phonemes (i.e. a bunch of symbols showing how the "word" is pronounced) instead of actual, writable words (like what I'm pretty sure the program you linked to does), which I thought was a better approach. Admittedly, that's not much of a distinction and one could probably get that program you linked to to do the same exact thing with minimal effort, but if it lets me pretend that I didn't just blithely waste 10 hours of my life then I'll take it.

(Seriously, though, thanks for the link. I'll keep messing around with it.)

* A post in a thread about facepalms has caused me to facepalm. Huh.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies
Pages: 1 ... 358 359 [360] 361 362 ... 729