Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 359 360 [361] 362 363 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2095709 times)

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #5400 on: December 07, 2011, 12:46:22 am »

some giant badgers appeared and i tought they would be a good target for my military to train. one dwarf was killed 3 dwarfs drowned in a murky pool....

Replace "badger" with "capybara" and the exact same thing happened to me. An entire squad drowned in a puddle, and the little rat just meandered off the map.

Note to self: Build a highly elaborate, automated, and preferably catastrophe-prone system for training the recruits in swimming.

Wow, I had the exact opposite problem with my squads. They kept killing capybara, going back towards the fortress and aggroing more along the way.
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
But the sad truth charlie?
It was inevitable.

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5401 on: December 07, 2011, 01:35:40 am »

some giant badgers appeared and i tought they would be a good target for my military to train. one dwarf was killed 3 dwarfs drowned in a murky pool....

Replace "badger" with "capybara" and the exact same thing happened to me. An entire squad drowned in a puddle, and the little rat just meandered off the map.

Note to self: Build a highly elaborate, automated, and preferably catastrophe-prone system for training the recruits in swimming.

Wow, I had the exact opposite problem with my squads. They kept killing capybara, going back towards the fortress and aggroing more along the way.

The problem with capy is not that they will kill your soldiers through brute strength, but that your soldiers will attempt to attack them when the capy decides to hide in water. I swear one of my soldiers literally jumped in after one once...
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5402 on: December 07, 2011, 12:04:11 pm »

The problem with capy is not that they will kill your soldiers through brute strength, but that your soldiers will attempt to attack them when the capy decides to hide in water. I swear one of my soldiers literally jumped in after one once...

Which is easy enough to prevent if you dig ramps into all the murky pools.  My most recent death to drowning was because someone decided to wrestle a cave crocodile in 2 or 3 z-levels of water and then could not figure out how to path out.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #5403 on: December 07, 2011, 03:06:34 pm »

Recently I carved a large room for housing some of the population. While at it, I thought a good and nice party room would be great too that far down into the fort. So, I put up some cages. Right now we have a giant magma crab in display, along with an obsidian siren, fire imp and a tame bat.

Soon after the first party was thrown, a thresher bleeds to death. Zoom in, it's right on the obsidian siren cage. I can only conclude that heat is generated from the creature, enough to melt your fat and kill you, but not enough to set the cage on fire. Regardless, cage was ordered for destruction to prevent further stupid deaths.

At least they weren't THAT known around the fort.

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
  • Content lion is content
    • View Profile
« Reply #5404 on: December 07, 2011, 03:19:38 pm »

Recently I carved a large room for housing some of the population. While at it, I thought a good and nice party room would be great too that far down into the fort. So, I put up some cages. Right now we have a giant magma crab in display, along with an obsidian siren, fire imp and a tame bat.

Soon after the first party was thrown, a thresher bleeds to death. Zoom in, it's right on the obsidian siren cage. I can only conclude that heat is generated from the creature, enough to melt your fat and kill you, but not enough to set the cage on fire. Regardless, cage was ordered for destruction to prevent further stupid deaths.

At least they weren't THAT known around the fort.

Put the cage in a pit. Toss your foes into the pit. Alternatively you could build it in an area that's traveled every now and again but not too terribly often to melt the fat off your dwarves and make them fireproof. Though every attempt I've seen at fireproofing has ended terribly you'd be almost guarenteed to have legendary doctors before long.
Quote from: EvilTim
"You shouldn't anthropomorphize vehicles. They hate it"

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #5405 on: December 07, 2011, 06:20:35 pm »

I'd rather not risk my skilled workers to the mercy of the elder RNG gods.
That and I already disposed of the siren.

My enemies are disposed of in the good old way, by lots and lots of adamantine weaponry and face-to-face combat.

Except for that god damn crossbower who has shot 4 FB's this year, 3 of them during one week(it was one HELL of a week).

Serrational

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentlemen prefer magma.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5406 on: December 08, 2011, 05:18:15 am »

The kitchens must have been going "Best. Week. EVER."

Anyone up for a FB tallow biscuit?
I figured the guy was a goner too when a noseless bat from hell flew right over the fortifications and attacked.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #5407 on: December 08, 2011, 06:27:16 am »

I'll say. Two of the FB's were inorganic though. One made of salt, other from ash. But yeah, there's a whole god damn pile of FB meat to process now and add to the larders.

I figured the guy was a goner too when a noseless bat from hell flew right over the fortifications and attacked. By the time backup arrived, the guy finally levels his crossbow and shoots the bat right through the head, tearing the brain.

To balance out the stroke of good luck, the militia commander had drowned a few weeks earlier. Chased after a bunch of gobbos, dodged into the river and drowned.

He was also a legendary armorer. Luckily there's like 45 sets of armor made solely by him so it's not like I'm running out of gear, and there are other armorers too.  But still.

God damn dodging. We need an AI upgrade on that so soldiers try to dodge in directions that don't have 'em falling down a z-level.

Serrational

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentlemen prefer magma.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5408 on: December 08, 2011, 08:41:42 am »

I figured the guy was a goner too when a noseless bat from hell flew right over the fortifications and attacked.

Sigged like HELL.

Stivsko

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5409 on: December 08, 2011, 09:47:09 am »

First time trying to do the "make your own tools" thing.
I go with 10 copper bars, 1 unit of coke and 1 anvil. I spent half an hour fine-tuning my expedition.
I got an axe to chop down trees if needed.

I get to the site and immediately want to set the forge and get the "No fire-safe materials available" XD

AiresPenlaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5410 on: December 08, 2011, 12:12:38 pm »

I've just discovered how to use a Civilian Alert. Previously, I'd manually assigned every single Dwarf to an "emergency" burrow, thinking "There's got to be a quicker way". I've been playing for over a year now.

*facepalm*
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 12:21:21 pm by AiresPenlaw »

Fishbulb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5411 on: December 08, 2011, 12:54:08 pm »

…thinking "There's got to be a quicker way".

Don't feel bad about that one. This is Dwarf Fortress. There doesn't, and there often isn't. Whenever I find I've been doing something the hard way when there's an easy way ("auto loom dyed thread") I'm pleasantly surprised. My moans and groans are moans and groans of … pleasant surprise. Yes.

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5412 on: December 08, 2011, 01:09:09 pm »

First time trying to do the "make your own tools" thing.
I go with 10 copper bars, 1 unit of coke and 1 anvil. I spent half an hour fine-tuning my expedition.
I got an axe to chop down trees if needed.

I get to the site and immediately want to set the forge and get the "No fire-safe materials available" XD

Um, isn't copper fire safe?
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5413 on: December 09, 2011, 02:39:46 am »

You have to go into the Z-menu/stone area to make it available to build with.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Eoganachta

• Bay Watcher
  • The Second Mouse Gets The Cheese
    • View Profile
« Reply #5414 on: December 09, 2011, 05:46:33 am »

My smith went into a mood and started gathering items. Iron bars. Good, I could get a weapon from this! She started working and I get Bluntglistens, a iron toy axe. Now Armok is mocking me.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Giant Cave Spider Wagons. Where are your Gods now Goblins?
This minecart has more kills then every other weapon in the mountainhomes.
Quote from: Broken
every place i go ends covered in vomit
Quote from: Karnewarrior
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.
Pages: 1 ... 359 360 [361] 362 363 ... 729