Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 368 369 [370] 371 372 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2110874 times)

MagmaSolutionsInc

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes elves for their screaming, bubbling noises.
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #5535 on: January 02, 2012, 01:26:40 am »

Same fort ... lolwhut

This was after a tantrum spiral caused by the only brewer in the fort deciding to jump into the same deep pit as the forgotten beast. And I forgot to appoint a new brewer ...
stopped zombie cats from adopting dwarves

... with magma.

MagmaSolutionsInc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5536 on: January 02, 2012, 01:30:27 am »

Damn, it doesn't show it.  The Dwarven Baby was also a ghost, but died of thirst.

... with magma.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5537 on: January 02, 2012, 02:44:30 am »

What's next, ortholase? :P
From another thread:
An ambush squad of goblin bowmen appeared. The military ran out with the militia commander in front. Then he got hit by some arrows and decided to retreat back into the fortress. He gave in to pain RIGHT on top of the weapon trap with 10 picks in it. As you might know, picks are extremely effective at removing limbs. Almost immediately, he lost all his arms and legs. He woke up, crawled out of the trap, and then crawled back in and got hit again. He kept doing this until he bled to death, after taking a LOT of hits to the upper body, destroying almost all his organs.
Not only was this the first time one of my own guys tripped one of my own traps, he was wearing full armor and got hit by a copper arrow in the finger or something similarly stupid.

Which reminds me, I don't think gauntlets cover the fingers... do they?
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
  • thats not a red mage...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5538 on: January 03, 2012, 03:02:01 am »

well i dug out a z level...

I've decided to say "fuck it" and will just implode my fort.

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5539 on: January 03, 2012, 04:37:50 am »

I set up my training fortress very carefully INDEED. An island with a nice tropical forest, no nasty goblins or elves or evil places of evil or elves.....
Looking around after embark, the badgers went away after 10-15 of them showed up 2 minutes after embarking, there's gypsum, bauxite, flux, and a nice looking cluster of rubies on the floor of the sea I'm trying to work out a way to reach, preferably in a way that teaches me how to use lava (keeping in mind I have a *wooden* perimeter wall in the middle of a *highly flammable* forest)...

Going well then?

Sadly, the stupid dorfs decided to beach their highly advanced (and very dwarvenly) amphibious Boatwagon on a small and narrow beach. On the rocks. In the surf zone. Right next to a very steep drop into deep ocean. Cue the entire wagon getting flooded every few seconds. Cue an elaborate 'Operation "Store Item in Stockpile"' using the small percentage of successful attempts to recover supplies to slowly empty the wreck of HMS Wagon. And then the badgers came.......and while my dwarves all escaped their notice, it was obvious then...this wasn't some mere "accident", or "dwarven stupidity". This was an AMBUSH!

They've been plotting for years. YEARS! They must have lured THOUSANDS of dwarves to their deaths on this island. A perfect place for an outpost. Warm, mineral-rich, with everything that's needed for life.....and a perfect place to lie in wait for the next lot of migrants. But by the same measure....this perfect trap is an island. Therefore there must be a finite number of badgers around to carry out this dastardly plan. They will die. All of them.

But yeah. Epic facepalm when I noticed the dwarves beached the Boatmobile in the breakers and just left it there. And then those badgers turning up RIGHT when I was having them ALL busy wading through the surf outside the fort walls.....it was potentially a very Fun embark indeed.

bukitodinos

• Bay Watcher
  • IM FUCKING DEAD WOOOOO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5540 on: January 03, 2012, 10:03:16 am »

i forgot i embarked at a volcaneo and i dug too deep into the mountain :'(
I mean for the love of god! There's hair trying to kill a dog!
back to professional martinis with bukitodinos!
---
Put the flag in the martini and were done!
siggy!

MystRunner

• Bay Watcher
  • Idiots Roam Free! Beware all ye who enter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5541 on: January 03, 2012, 11:44:02 pm »

I was once so busy in setting up my fortress and managing wave after wave of migrants that I forgot to set up defense or military. Many fun times where had when the gobbo force showed up.
I don't know what is more impressive, that dwarves can skip salting and curing meat opting for zombiefication, or that the dark art of necromancy has been twisted to the cause of curing meats.

Dwarf Fortress : Crimes Against Nature Simulator.

MagmaSolutionsInc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5542 on: January 04, 2012, 08:31:37 am »

Ah, this fort is the gift that just keeps giving. Relicbowels is by far my favourite yet.

I finally found magma way, way, way down, and inadvertently unleashed HFS. I'll admit that I wasn't prepared for it, so I did a quick DFHack to fill in the tube. I'll get back to them later on.

Then I inadvertently flooded my graveyard and had to frantically build a wall to stop the fort being submerged.

So many forgotten beasts have come along now that I fear my militia commander - now mayor in lieu of the deceased baron (even though the land is now a duchy) - is damn near invulnerable.

I've decided to go with the flow. I have temporarily turned off invasions, built a 16 z-level tower (1 stair + 1 wall per level, with a massive upper level for kicks  .. looks hilarious in overseer) with diving board that opens out to a 15 z-level pit (from ground level). Pitting troll and goblin prisoners has never been so fun. I also designed an artificial island style defence to allow me to segment the various parts. Once I've finished my new tower completely (the meeting room and barracks levels still to be added), I'll re-enable invasions and laugh at the vile forces as they come out on the wrong side of my artificial rivers. Now I just need to start a megaproject to kill them  :D

... with magma.

shadowzfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5543 on: January 04, 2012, 10:17:52 am »

So I just came back to Dwarf Fort after not playing for a bit over 6 months, needless to say I had forgotten a many things and I wanted to relearn them the old fashioned way - Doing em. So I set up base in a small valley with a few hills. I slowly remember how to make farms, refuse stockpiles, essential needs of a starting fort. Eventually I expanded and started setting up my military the moment migrants came. Soon after, I breached a underground caverns and then adamantine. Out of greed I dug further and found a lava lake below. I also accidently designated the adamantine for digging more than twice, almost digging it out afraid of what would come. Eventually even without a decent military I dug out some of the adamantine and found it safe.

Some days later by purposeful designation, with a slightly better military force I dug through and found a hole - shoot, whatever you call it to the underworld and all hell broke loose. I struggled to block it but I regret playing with 150 fps as they broke through far too fast. I facepalmed.

How the hell does a wraith of soot - SOOT EXIST? Some other things made out of smoke and salt also came and ravaged my people. My Military of course were the ones to die first. I facepalmed and watched after what happened to the rest of my dwarves. Oh the horror.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5544 on: January 04, 2012, 07:39:16 pm »

I was once so busy in setting up my fortress and managing wave after wave of migrants that I forgot to set up defense or military. Many fun times where had when the gobbo force showed up.

That happens to me a lot.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

CaptainBadwheel

• Bay Watcher
  • Either a Doomsday Device or an Ice Cream maker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5545 on: January 04, 2012, 09:48:41 pm »

I have a history of over engineering my water systems so much that its almost the top cause of fatalities. Just recently I just lost an engraver while running water from the fortress cistern to the hospital wells. He drowned while carving a fortification at the bottom of the 2zlvl cistern because he didn't move when the high pressure water washed over him, blocking the floodgate I put in just for the purpose of saving him from drowning. Fortunately I also installed a fortified drain to the 1st cavern level so I could at least retrieve the body.

uglyboy

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5546 on: January 05, 2012, 08:34:05 am »

Built the entrance to the fortress on top of a hill, with the possibility to isolate it and build a drawbridge to the other hilltop very close to this one, the best natural defensive setup i've ever had, my explorative mining team revealed the presence of limonite, native silver, native platinum, marble, and some other goodies i'll need for my dwarf economy and military power. With the first migrant came a natural born fighter, he is very strong, agile, very slow to tire, likes steel, and most of all, he's a expert swordsdwarf/armor user/dodger/fighter/shield user, i was so happy about him, i had my talented weaponsmith make him a full steel set, sword, shield and heavy armor... Few seconds after he picked up the last piece of equipment "Urist McSlaughterer has been possessed".... Now he's there in his little workshop asking for stone and bones and it seems i don't have the ones he wants. So here i am, good initial fortress setup is now waiting for this fully able, willing, armored time bomb to explode go mad and kill everybody... Stay tuned...

dragginmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5547 on: January 05, 2012, 11:56:47 am »

playing DF in the passenger seat of a big rig rollin down Interstate 40 in Arkansas...

Find a volcano on the embark, was looking for a major river but they are not common on this world... So I think, volcano...

in a terrifying area... I have never done a terrifying biome but I have read on here they are not that terrifying yet...

play now! or plan carefully? ... i always plan carefully... moving fingers to the down arrow... pot hole...

play now! it is...

Awessum Possum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5548 on: January 05, 2012, 12:39:17 pm »

So, I was playing a succession fort with friends and family. I got the second year, things were going well and the fortress prospered under my rule. Then the gobbos ambushed all archers and crossbows except for one lasher. Well we had a semi competent squad of dwarves including two marksdwarfs so I send them out, however it is to lat for Urist McFisherdwarf who was only a few tiles from the Gobbos. So the military arrives but suddenly "An Ambush! Curse Them! :o. This was bad news, a second ambush appears not far from the first, some of my dwarves engage the Goblins but a few more hang back and the marksdwafs do nothing (turns out I forgot to assign ammunition), the first recruits get slaughtered. Then the rest of my military finally engages instead of spectating, and the lasher wipes them out. I lost something like 20 dwarfs before I got everyone inside and closed the bridge. :'(
because everyone here is OCD and ADHD, and then complain when their dwarfs act similarly in game.
@I used to be an axelord like you, until I took a (+bronze bolt+) to the upper leg, chipping the bone through the *copper leggings*!@

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
  • thats not a red mage...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5549 on: January 05, 2012, 04:26:48 pm »

So, I was playing a succession fort with friends and family. I got the second year, things were going well and the fortress prospered under my rule. Then the gobbos ambushed all archers and crossbows except for one lasher. Well we had a semi competent squad of dwarves including two marksdwarfs so I send them out, however it is to lat for Urist McFisherdwarf who was only a few tiles from the Gobbos. So the military arrives but suddenly "An Ambush! Curse Them! :o. This was bad news, a second ambush appears not far from the first, some of my dwarves engage the Goblins but a few more hang back and the marksdwafs do nothing (turns out I forgot to assign ammunition), the first recruits get slaughtered. Then the rest of my military finally engages instead of spectating, and the lasher wipes them out. I lost something like 20 dwarfs before I got everyone inside and closed the bridge. :'(

If they are wearing anything less than iron then the militia is basically a "supar dorfz ultamet suicide mckillz derp squwad" (I fudged the spelling on purpose) and should be used for operations like:

slowing down the circus, slowing down the fun-gotten beasts, slowing down gobbos, slowing down humans, slowing down elf’s, slowing down kobolds, slowing down titans, slowing down minotaur, slowing down giants, slowing down etins, slowing down badgers, slowing down dragons (not for long, just long enough to wall up the place), slowing down cave dragons, slowing down the undead, slowing down roc, slowing down Cyclops, slowing down crundles, slowing down ogres, slowing down cave things, slowing down your med. dwarves
I've decided to say "fuck it" and will just implode my fort.

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms
Pages: 1 ... 368 369 [370] 371 372 ... 729