Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 372 373 [374] 375 376 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2114279 times)

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #5595 on: January 15, 2012, 09:58:33 pm »

Dug a new channel for water for a new well for the hospital...   Figured "Oh, I can close this off later."

An alligator got in and my mayor just got his arm ripped off.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5596 on: January 16, 2012, 03:17:54 am »

Dug a new channel for water for a new well for the hospital...   Figured "Oh, I can close this off later."

An alligator got in and my mayor just got his arm ripped off.

at least the hospital has water for him now
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

mdqp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5597 on: January 16, 2012, 04:39:16 am »

I had just finished preparing my reservoire, and I just needed to pull the lever, lower the floodgate and let the water flow. Of course, as soon as I pull the lever, my expedition leader decides to take a stroll to the the reservoire, and gets stuck by the water. I could have stopped the flow by pulling the lever again, but I said to myself: "let's see what he can accomplish under pressure". I order him to destroy a wall at the end of the reservoire, while I place two doors in the corridor connected to said wall, so that he can escape and water won't come in following him. He fails, but a miner from the other side takes down the wall for him, and he decide to learn swimming fast enough to reach safety to the other side. Then I build another wall (just in case) and feel that, overall, he showed to have the stuborness needed to survive, so I am pretty happy now. So happy, in fact, that I forgot to worry about the WATER pressure, and a little side project I was running to create mud... The floodgate that stayed open to test my leader remained open until it reached an open channel, the water overflowed, and I ruined my fortress. I was so mad that I abandoned it, despite it being still salvageable... Apparently, I am the one that doesn't work well under pressure...  :P
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 05:37:39 am by mdqp »

TomIrony

• Bay Watcher
  • Blood, Stone and Ash
    • View Profile
« Reply #5598 on: January 16, 2012, 03:15:06 pm »

Nothing big, but my first casualty in this fort was our Animal Caretaker, killed by a Horse.
Quote from: KodKod
Quote from: enizer
"unit list other: 248, all kobolds"
"Hunt them for sport.

The Least Dangerous Game."

MrCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Because I can
    • View Profile
« Reply #5599 on: January 16, 2012, 07:08:56 pm »

So, I embarked into the perfect location. There's iron everywhere, platinum, gold, silver, the works. The only slight problem I had was that it was cold, and the brook would freeze over in the winter. As a side note, my fledgling fortress was located in the bottom of a canyon, between three largish hills. So, thinking about how smart I am, I dig a channel from the brook into the canyon, where it hopefully wouldn't freeze. The only problem was that I neglected to remember to build walls on the z-level changes, and an enormous flood of water promptly begins making its way down the canyon into my fortress. Panicked, I give all my dwarves the masonry job, and frantically build walls around my fortress hole. And, lo and behold, they actually finished it before the water flooded the entire thing. Feeling proud of myself, I secure a pathway into the fortress from the walls, and resume mining/tree cutting/normal operations. And then I notice that the water around my fortress is still rising, because it's coming from an endless pressurized water source. The water overtook the walls, and I hastily secured my entrance before the whole place flooded. A few weeks later and every dwarf has died due to, of all things, a lack of a water source.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5600 on: January 18, 2012, 07:11:54 pm »

So, I embarked into the perfect location. There's iron everywhere, platinum, gold, silver, the works. The only slight problem I had was that it was cold, and the brook would freeze over in the winter. As a side note, my fledgling fortress was located in the bottom of a canyon, between three largish hills. So, thinking about how smart I am, I dig a channel from the brook into the canyon, where it hopefully wouldn't freeze. The only problem was that I neglected to remember to build walls on the z-level changes, and an enormous flood of water promptly begins making its way down the canyon into my fortress. Panicked, I give all my dwarves the masonry job, and frantically build walls around my fortress hole. And, lo and behold, they actually finished it before the water flooded the entire thing. Feeling proud of myself, I secure a pathway into the fortress from the walls, and resume mining/tree cutting/normal operations. And then I notice that the water around my fortress is still rising, because it's coming from an endless pressurized water source. The water overtook the walls, and I hastily secured my entrance before the whole place flooded. A few weeks later and every dwarf has died due to, of all things, a lack of a water source.

fucking. great. why didn't you dig a passage underneath with a diagonal passage that led to a grate protected drinking area?

zacty

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5601 on: January 18, 2012, 08:38:02 pm »

recently had a goblin siege come in, i don't have much of a military but i have a massive number of cage traps guarding the entirety of my fort, they brought a squad of trolls in and there were far more than i thought there would be, there were enough for 2 to not get caught by my cage traps and managed to destroy my doors, not too worried though, i have lots more traps inside. except they were totally useless, since half my dwarves ran outside into  he swirling mass of goblins to pick equipment up, lost a 4th of my dwarves before i could get them back inside and rebuild the door.

dwarves are kinda stupid
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 08:39:50 pm by zacty »

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
  • thats not a red mage...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5602 on: January 18, 2012, 09:38:40 pm »

forgot to connect a lever to my fall trap...
I've decided to say "fuck it" and will just implode my fort.

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5603 on: January 19, 2012, 05:48:18 am »

dragons are hard to weaponize. It's been tamed and follows it's tamer everywhere even if it's chained (metal chain) and pastured. Problem: it follows behind and spots goblins BEFORE it's tamer and it breathes fire. Result, crispy tamer

on another note, a marksdwarf just shot a goblin in the mouth! I expected epic pain, but the goblin pretty much caught it with his teeth and suffered only a minor scratch. Don't Try This At Home!
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 07:27:29 am by Garath »
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5604 on: January 19, 2012, 04:37:50 pm »

You got a dragon with no civ emnity for dwarves  :o

Last time I tamed a dragon he'd fry his tamer and any other dwarves, but remain "tame" all the same
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #5605 on: January 19, 2012, 09:08:49 pm »

The recent "improvements" I'd made to my drowning trap/entrance hall have apparently made it such that there's no functional distinction between "empty the water into the caverns, allowing my dwarves to safely access the trade depot" and "open the safety hatch which prevents water from entering the fortress proper, causing everything to be soaked in a massive deluge and the entire lower section of my fort to be rendered unusable".
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5606 on: January 20, 2012, 08:13:41 am »

happens quite often to me too. You can try to channel and dig the lower floors to spread the water so it becomes low enough to evaporate. Alternatively, open a fortification to the caverns and claim you always intended to make a shower for your dwarfs, complete with a drain

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5607 on: January 20, 2012, 09:42:39 am »

my plan to tunnel into the side of a volcano to power magma forges has hit the problem that my miner may not survive.... lets' wait for Urist McCheesemakerImmigrant to show up

zach123b

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5608 on: January 21, 2012, 12:20:31 am »

playing with the masterwork mod i started in a desert with a cave, on 1 of the challenges, no items from embark
trees were scarce but there were none, few plants but i head for the cave for hope.  inside were a pack of trogdalytes 20 spots from the entrance(constant cancellations). i get a working fortress waiting for the caravan with little to worry about and few deaths from animal/human things, i think 3 total. had a titan attack, air man i think, killed 2 guys >>
caravan came, failed getting a pick(2.5k cost somehow) then forgot i should get an anvil but i was drained buying some random oddities with overstock of food so i steal from them, more animal/human guys and my dwarfs were going meloncholy from death and miasma being so far down in a cave... so i charge the trogdalytes with stolen stuff and somehow we won with 2 people alive, 1 meloncholy and 1 woodcutter, hard time salvaging the fortress thinking 'i got this' killing reptile people with 1 i survived mainly from a hellfire turret a immigrant brought and a slade turret i stole but im running low on supplies but the fortress was a wreck.. with 1 sane dwarf, fought off a troll but soon after a seige hit me of undead.  the turrets were winning even though they were half broken... my last dwarf died of thirst cuz the hellfire turret burnt it up
"IT'S WORLDGEN TIME!"
"No, Meph, No!"

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5609 on: January 21, 2012, 12:34:29 am »

A Forgotten Beast approached my fortress. I thought, "Oh crap!" until I noticed it was made of salt. I thought to myself, "Hey, don't salt-based forgotten beasts fall apart really easily?"

I sent my militia out and was rewarded with all my dead dwarves. Hurrah.
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.
Pages: 1 ... 372 373 [374] 375 376 ... 729