Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 377 378 [379] 380 381 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2130782 times)

erissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #5670 on: February 04, 2012, 05:40:48 am »

I start an adventurer on a world that didn't generate my vampires  :'(

Vampires aren't out yet. You'll have to wait for 31.26, which is coming soon.

http://C:/Users/Your Real Name/Desktop/Dont mind me/DF/killer_left_hook.png

That is not how URLs work. You'll have to upload that to some image hosting site and then use that URL to include it here.

(Also, edit your post to remove the URL you have, because your real name is in it, assuming that matters to you.)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 05:49:04 am by erissian »

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5671 on: February 04, 2012, 05:44:15 am »

Could be a mod he's using.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5672 on: February 04, 2012, 04:17:53 pm »

UristMcMood cancels mood:  Went insane.

The magma level in the magma forge dropped too low.  I'm still trying to figure out why.

Also, can you deconstruct workshops being used for a mood?
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5673 on: February 04, 2012, 06:28:49 pm »

I am trying to mod vampires in as human-looking creatures with wings and that are carnivorous. Their word for 'destroyer' is 'Flandre'. Points if you get the reference!
And that's not my name, my name is Connor.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5674 on: February 04, 2012, 08:36:19 pm »

UristMcMood cancels mood:  Went insane.

The magma level in the magma forge dropped too low.  I'm still trying to figure out why.

Also, can you deconstruct workshops being used for a mood?

I don't know, sounds like someone needs to experiment!  I suspect if you can do this, it'll drive the dwarf insane like a failing magma workshop.

Had a minor facepalm moment: built a moat and started filling it with water.  Of course I didn't seal up the end of the pump completely, so it starts spewing water everywhere.  Thankfully it's an aboveground fort, so not too much Fun was had.  Plugged it up, and will know better next time.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5675 on: February 05, 2012, 02:13:15 am »

I am trying to mod vampires in as human-looking creatures with wings and that are carnivorous. Their word for 'destroyer' is 'Flandre'. Points if you get the reference!
And that's not my name, my name is Connor.
No points get awarded for that. There are lots of toohoos on this board. To the point that I got that reference, and I am no toohoo.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

PhantomXD

• Bay Watcher
  • Digging designation cancelled: warm stone located
    • View Profile
« Reply #5676 on: February 05, 2012, 02:48:17 am »

http://C:/Users/Your Real Name/Desktop/Dont mind me/DF/killer_left_hook.png

this made my day ^^
Ironhand's Graphics Set

Bottom line is, the wiki is your friend, and error is your teacher.

Clutzy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5677 on: February 05, 2012, 11:46:15 am »

Irongift had been getting along just swell until a sudden siege that had triple the force of my military. I was getting a lil bored, had them decked out in steel, and figured, "Eh, why not? Should be !!!FUN!!!". Proceed to get towards the end after three one-right-after-the-other sieges that causes the remaining eight (out of the 151 starting at the first siege) to kill the trolls that were blocking the entryway to safety, freedom, and more importantly, food and booze. This caused me to discover my miner baron was awesome at this task, gaining a name by almost singlehandedly killing all four (he had killed a named toad earlier). That's what caused the true demise of Irongift. See, he was pretty miserable already from the death, decay, and hunger/thirst. It actually "allowed" him to throw a tanterum and kill the one dwarf who had a better dining room than him. I swear he sought her out to strike down, knowing she couldn't do anything while laid up in the hospital. Jealousy changes people into killing machines sometimes. Well, after that I thought things would start picking up. Nope. Remember how I said I had drafted him? Well I forgot to undraft my baron and then military training came up. Proceed to have one berserker, named, baron reeking havoc throughout Irongift to indicate failure. The cherry on top? Another siege had shown up just after he had settled outside.

/FACEPALM

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5678 on: February 05, 2012, 07:28:14 pm »

Every time I try to dig through an aquifer on a freezing embark, my miners all do their damnedest to get frozen solid. I don't know WHY.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5679 on: February 05, 2012, 07:34:19 pm »

Every time I try to dig through an aquifer on a freezing embark, my miners all do their damnedest to get frozen solid. I don't know WHY.

As tedious as it is, designate channels one tile at a time.  Ensure that the dwarf will leave moving away from the channel.  Do this by having mining on just one dwarf, designating the channel, when the start to dig pause and designate a dig where you want them to move safely to.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 07:36:30 pm by Vehudur »
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Knick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5680 on: February 06, 2012, 09:11:37 am »

As it turns out, doors do NOT necessarily keep goblins out of the above-ground portion of my fort.  Funny thing about the centralized stairway design that I favour:  it allows a goblin siege to very quickly wreak havoc in a fort. 

Got lucky, though--my military, consisting of nothing but marksdwarves, was able to soften up the invaders.  Although there were numerous casualties, my miners actually  broke the siege by walloping goblins with their picks.

So, no problem, right?  I started to inter the dead, building a warren of catacombs and tombs.  Only about 14 dwarves were killed, leaving around 70 or so.

That's when winter hit.  It was a temperate climate so the ponds and river froze (already had problems with some dwarves breaking through the ice in the spring).  I had not yet built a functioning cistern (although it was almost ready to go).  Of course, I could not fill the cistern while the river was frozen.

Around mid-winter, I has a long series of "Urist McDwarf cancels give water:  no water source".  I assumed there were some dwarves who were injured and took to their beds.  I was pleased with how diligent the dwarves were in caring for the injured.

That's when the great die-off started.  One after another, my little dwarves succumbed to thirst.  Checking the stocks screen, I realized--my booze stocks were gone.  i've always had some difficulty in managing booze, but the presence of water has usually been an adequate cushion.

By the time I was able to rebuild my booze stockpile, I was down to five remaining dwarves, one of whom, thank God, was my mayor and broker.

Come the spring, migrants arrives.  Putting them to work on the clean up, particularly the dessicated corpses lying everywhere, the elves arrived.  At the same time, the ice started to break up, allowing me to build that cistern.

That's when the goblin ambush struck.  In the race for survival, I had not replaced the doors with something more secure.  No problem, right?  The elves were there.  Elven arrows would discourage the goblins.  Right?  Right?

The goblins raced inside the fortress, hunting down every dwarf they could find.

The last dwarf standing was my mayor.  Chased into a dead end tunnel, with five goblins in hot pursuit, he was quickly surrounded.  Thus ended my fortress.

The elves never moved from the Trade Depot.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day.  Light a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
The great Dwarfen Philosopher Urist McConfused said it best:  "Light a kitten on fire and it will run screaming into the booze stockpile and catch the whole fort up.  I know, we tested it in twelve different forts and it always happened."

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5681 on: February 06, 2012, 10:33:10 am »

Elven caravans are unarmed anyway... But did the goblins not attack them?
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

Flodeklojo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5682 on: February 06, 2012, 11:06:07 am »

currently working on a circular, from the magma sea to the sky kinda pipe-looking fort. I decided i would make a 10z high dining hall somewhere. Couldn't use cave in to make it, so i designated channeling piece by piece....i missed a spot :)
A 1 tile cave-in fell 40z levels through my fort, destroying 12 stockpiles and 6 bedrooms in the process...could've been worse :p

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5683 on: February 06, 2012, 11:47:02 am »

Urist McBedtime cancels sleep: Sky is falling.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5684 on: February 06, 2012, 04:26:35 pm »

Urist McBedtime cancels sleep: Sky is falling.

This.  So much.

Pages: 1 ... 377 378 [379] 380 381 ... 729