Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 380 381 [382] 383 384 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2117010 times)

NinjaBoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #5715 on: February 13, 2012, 06:26:58 am »

Just crushed two dwarves and a baby because they rushed under the for atomsmasher just after I'd ordered its lever pulled.  Really should've made sure the stones being destroyed were set as forbidden...>.>

I imagine when the atom smasher was pulled up it was something like the sticky-goo crap you seen when someone was crushed under a door in Duke3d ;)

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5716 on: February 13, 2012, 06:42:21 am »

It was to be a controlled demolition.

I was determined that my magma reservoir would claim no lives this time. Ten Urists by ten Urists by ten Urists deep, each level was mined out, and the walls carefully smoothed. A support was built for the top floor, and then the edges of each floor were channeled out, except for a connection at the 3x1 staircase to the north. Hatch covers sealed the upward entrance, and a door prevented cave-in dust from threatening the volcano entrance, where the pump would go. There would be no mistakes made.

When everything was set, I triple-checked my dwarves. No one was near the reservoir, and there were no possible jobs to do there. I added the Pull the Lever job, and waited. When a dwarf came near, I hit 'v' to check again. Everything was clear.

The cave-in itself was a thing of beauty. A cascade of collapses, forming a perfect cube of deadly dust, and not a dwarf to be seen. When the dust settled, it was exactly as I had planned. All that was left was to remove the tiny tabs of floor that had held up the lower levels, and smooth the bottom.

The cave-in that ensued when I removed the tab killed one dwarftwo dwarves, including a legendary miner, and put three more engravers in the hospital. I love this game.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 06:59:05 am by doublestrafe »

twilightdusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5717 on: February 13, 2012, 02:45:48 pm »

Embarking on a volcano in the middle of a tundra, and playing for 3 years, during which much of my time was building up in preparation for Goblins to come attack me...before I bothered to check and see that there are, in fact, no Goblin civilizations in this world, or at least not any near enough to bother me. So much work preparing for goblins to come...all for nothing.

war with humans and pointy-ears

It's just not the same....

The fortress itself is stable and prosperous in this peacetime setup though, I'll probably keep the fortress and ultimately the world around for when I want to experiment with stuff and don't want to be bothered by goblins.

The elves and humans are also at war with each other though, I kind of feel like trapping the elven caravan in my fort until the humans arrive one year...
A man would see that as a difficult challenge.
An elf would see that and despair.
A dwarf would see that and say, "Bring it on."

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5718 on: February 13, 2012, 09:29:48 pm »

Okay,m so I was digging out the pit under my entrance drawbridges where invaders go "splat!". Everything is going just peachy, until all of a sudden...
Urist McLegendaryMiner has died of thirst.

What the hey? ???
Stairs out of the pit and into escape tunnel, check. Escape tunnel, check. Stairs out of escape tunnel, ch... wait, what? 
The upward stairway out of the tunnel was all fine and dandy. The downward stairway connecting it with the great outdoors, however, was nowhere to be found.
Apparently, a patch of dense knotgrass grew on the square where the down stairway was to be dug, causing UristMcGoldfish to forget all about the "dig down stairs" order. "Because I was ordered to dig into sandy clay, not knotgrass, dammit!"  ::)

Sus slaps Sus on the forehead with the palm of his right hand, bruising the skin and bruising the skull. 
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #5719 on: February 13, 2012, 11:24:06 pm »

Sus slaps Sus on the forehead with the palm of his right hand, bruising the skin and bruising the skull. 

sigged
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5720 on: February 14, 2012, 02:04:59 am »

sigged
Mission accomplished! >:D
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Ascimator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5721 on: February 14, 2012, 08:27:40 am »

There comes Urist McMetalcrafter with one of the first wave of migrants, it is also revealed that he is Expert fighter and all relevant.
No Urist, your shop is right here. Yup, take this. Yes, you will need that silver axe for your work. Take the armor as well, no one knows what could happen.
There is a finely-engraved image of Ascimator on the wall. Ascimator is slapping himself in the face. The artwork relates to the loss of the only anvil in Perplextombs in the late winter of 6.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #5722 on: February 14, 2012, 08:57:15 am »

so first migrants come up.
five dorfs.
first is a child.
second is a child.
third is a child.
fourth is a child.
fifth is the father of them all.
did the giant mosquitoes eat your wife you damn useless peasant?! Oh well. Drowning pit first victims? Checked.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5723 on: February 14, 2012, 09:01:33 am »

This was mentioned as a side effect to the new migration settings somewhere in the log
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5724 on: February 14, 2012, 02:04:37 pm »

Channeling incident, legendary miner/expedition leader, one of only two miners, digging for magma for my smelters...

He found magma, all right.
: Miner dwarves? In my volcano?

:I put childs into danger room...
They die, and their parents care nothing because legendary dining room.

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5725 on: February 14, 2012, 03:22:13 pm »

So last night I took a fortress from about  20 to 142 dwarves, and realized I had the Best. Noble. Ever. She likes four things. Four things. Silver, amulets, alexandrites, and some stone or other that I can't remember. And she hardly ever asks for anything--this may be because she has "Never feels tempted to overindulge in anything," I'm not sure. This is a noble who will never cause me any trouble with unreasonable requests. At last.

And then somebody went and released a version where the requests aren't unreasonable anymore.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5726 on: February 14, 2012, 05:04:11 pm »

Channeling incident, legendary miner/expedition leader, one of only two miners, digging for magma for my smelters...

He found magma, all right.

Show of hands, who else had this happen the first few time they did this with any of thier better miners?

TheWetSheep

• Bay Watcher
  • water covering (entire sheep)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5727 on: February 14, 2012, 07:46:59 pm »

When you read this, don't call me an idiot, please. Even though I was.

One of my fortresses had some very funny, face-palm-worthy moments in it. I was still quite an inexperienced player, and my fort had about fifty dwarves in it. I had caught some goblins in my cage traps, and was attempting to execute them. Two would be my prototypes. One I tried to drown, the other to dwarven atom smash. I did not know how to do either. I also did not know how to take away the goblin's weapons and armour. To drown the goblin I chained him up by a lake, then tried to dig the block next to him, leading into the lake. Of course, my miner became scared and refused to dig it. I couldn't remove him either, and, since I did not know how to use military well either, I couldn't kill it. The other goblin I had put in a room that looked like this:

WTTTW
WTTTW
WOOLW                  W= Wall, O= nOthing, C= Chain, G= Goblin, T= cage Trap, B= Bridge, L= Lever attached to Bridge.
WOOOW
WOOOW
WOOOW
WCGOW
WOOOW
WOOOW
WOOOW
WOOOW
WWWW

When the lever is pulled, it turns into this:

WTTTW
WTTTW
WOOLW         
WOBOW
WOBOW
WOBOW
WCBOW
WOBOW
WOBOW
WOBOW
WOBOW
WWWW

Of course, the person who pulls the lever gets scared and runs away when he sees the goblin too. This was made expecially annoying by the fact that the goblins were in full view of my main workshop area, so all my dwarves were too scared of them to do any work. I figured that I had to do something about this. So I sent part of my military, which, unbeknownst to me, consisted of 1 speardwarf, to attack the one by the lake. Very surprisingly, he killed it. I looked in his inventory. He was armed with a... pickaxe.
He did the job, though. Next, I sent the rest of my military to kill the other one. This did not work so well. The goblin took all six of them out. Two fell intro traps, and the rest were knocked out. Apparently, the goblin did not feel like killing them. So I send my speardwarf over to attack the the goblin. HE KILLS IT. I am very happy with this, until this happens:

The lever had been set on "Pull the lever: repeat for the last couple of years, and nobody could do it. Now, they could! The first good little dwarf comes along, pulls the lever, the bridge comes down and....

crushes two unconcious military dwarves, and my speardwarf.

FACEPALM!

Made even worse by the fact that a siege comes along. All my traps were full from the last siege, and all my military is in the hospital or in cages. Every last dwarf was killed.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5728 on: February 14, 2012, 09:16:17 pm »

So last night I took a fortress from about  20 to 142 dwarves, and realized I had the Best. Noble. Ever. She likes four things. Four things. Silver, amulets, alexandrites, and some stone or other that I can't remember. And she hardly ever asks for anything--this may be because she has "Never feels tempted to overindulge in anything," I'm not sure. This is a noble who will never cause me any trouble with unreasonable requests. At last.

And then somebody went and released a version where the requests aren't unreasonable anymore.

naturally, Toady hacked your computer than memory hacked DF, edited that noble so it would be in your next game, than used his secret doomsday mind control device to make you want to play DF. and timed it so that you would be playing when the new release came out, DUH!!

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
« Reply #5729 on: February 14, 2012, 11:33:54 pm »

Apparently, a patch of dense knotgrass grew on the square where the down stairway was to be dug, causing UristMcGoldfish to forget all about the "dig down stairs" order. "Because I was ordered to dig into sandy clay, not knotgrass, dammit!"
Are you sure it wasn't Urist McGoldfish cancels Dig Downward Stair: Interrupted by Badger Sow or something like that?
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.
Pages: 1 ... 380 381 [382] 383 384 ... 729