Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 381 382 [383] 384 385 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2096038 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #5730 on: February 14, 2012, 11:37:57 pm »

First fort on new release. Face palmed because it's appearently forwned upon to want to figure out wtf does what now in a semi-survivable place teeming with giant pissed off versions of many a harmless critter than in a zombie infested pit on day one.

Although tales of undead horse hair are hilarious.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5731 on: February 15, 2012, 01:12:06 am »

Apparently, a patch of dense knotgrass grew on the square where the down stairway was to be dug, causing UristMcGoldfish to forget all about the "dig down stairs" order. "Because I was ordered to dig into sandy clay, not knotgrass, dammit!"
Are you sure it wasn't Urist McGoldfish cancels Dig Downward Stair: Interrupted by Badger Sow or something like that?
Nah, the only reason for a channel/down stair designation to vanish completely is that the tile in question changes from grass to soil or vice versa, AFAIK.

Got another one while trying out DF 2012:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=100321.msg2988683#2988683
My Miner caused a cave-in beneath himself,  broke both of his legs and dehydrated to death when digging out the sunroof for my "outdoors" farm.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 01:16:53 am by Sus »
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

KoffeeKup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5732 on: February 15, 2012, 04:15:59 am »

Figure new update is a month off, Downloaded LNP, Painstakingly edit advanced world parameters, Started new world, deleted, kept going til found ideal world generation, played adventurer mode a few times to enrich history, made new fortress, survive longer than usual, generally waste time

Check Bay12games...

New Updated (34.01)!

:(

Don't feel like playing anymore. Mixed emotions at expedient release.

I think I'll still wait for lazy newb pack though, I love that thing, and there are still bug fixes to worry about as well.
...and as all life ends
As elves and trees burn,As goblins are butchered
As humans are slaughtered,As the legions of hell lay waste to the world
Knock back a few drinks and tell yourself:T'was fun while it lasted-The writing on the Adamantine hatch to hell in Gemclod, Armok rest their valiant souls.

Ascimator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5733 on: February 15, 2012, 04:40:13 am »

When I decided to set up the magma forge, had no fuel at the moment and needed another anvil for it. I gave an order and then for some reason instead of waiting for some logs to get hauled in deconstructed the smithery.
The anvil is still to be found. I do not know where that Urist McHauler took it.
There is a finely-engraved image of Ascimator on the wall. Ascimator is slapping himself in the face. The artwork relates to the loss of the only anvil in Perplextombs in the late winter of 6.

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5734 on: February 15, 2012, 05:14:19 am »

Figure new update is a month off, Downloaded LNP, Painstakingly edit advanced world parameters, Started new world, deleted, kept going til found ideal world generation, played adventurer mode a few times to enrich history, made new fortress, survive longer than usual, generally waste time

Check Bay12games...

New Updated (34.01)!
 :(
Don't feel like playing anymore. Mixed emotions at expedient release.
Losing is fun. You're just funny loser.  ;D
Finis sanctificat media.

Ascimator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5735 on: February 15, 2012, 07:04:33 am »

Damn it.
My blacksmith went possessed while I still had no forge. He had just stayed near his bed until going stark raving mad without claiming another shop. Guess that's where fun is going to find my secret noob lair.
There is a finely-engraved image of Ascimator on the wall. Ascimator is slapping himself in the face. The artwork relates to the loss of the only anvil in Perplextombs in the late winter of 6.

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #5736 on: February 15, 2012, 12:45:39 pm »

I butchered yak in evil biome and it came alive and killed me dorves.
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5737 on: February 15, 2012, 02:16:43 pm »

Ohfck! Is it real?!
Finis sanctificat media.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5738 on: February 15, 2012, 04:33:55 pm »

Ohfck! Is it real?!

Indeed.
Teeth, hair, untanned hides, bones brobably.
Damn near everything will reanimate if it isn't precessed fast enough.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5739 on: February 15, 2012, 07:11:23 pm »

Ohfck! Is it real?!

Indeed.

So... Dwarves in terrifying zones are all vegetarians?
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

Glanzor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5740 on: February 15, 2012, 07:16:49 pm »

My ... dwarves just elected a vampire into the mayor's office. Several weeks after she was found out and convicted for two murders.

I don't know anymore.  :-[

Yakko

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5741 on: February 15, 2012, 07:28:37 pm »

Had this glass worker imigrant I think he was, some sort of crafter anyway, he was complaining about not enough seats and flies which I ignored. He eventually went insane so I trapped him in his room to avoid him attacking other dwarves, he of course dies of thirst eventually so I dump him in a garbage pile and think nothing of it and give his room to one of my fisher dwarves.

My fisherdwarf gets possesed like a season later I figured it was a mood or something, he went back to his room and stayed there didn't really know what I could do about it so I just left him to it. Next thing I knew the ghost of the dwarf who's room it used to be shows up in the room and attacks the fisherdwarf and chops his left leg off xD

I then made a memorial stone for the ghost and he left. The fisher went to the dining hall and blead to death then a few dwarves had tantrums because of miasma because none would take the corpse to a refuse pile and started attacking others and the fort kinda went downhill from there, was all quite amusing to see it play out  :D

I always make sure to make memorial stones when dwarves die now, still learning the game but it's fun, I'm useless when it comes to military I can never find metal to get a metal industry going, goblins have killed a few of my other forts due to it.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5742 on: February 15, 2012, 07:45:24 pm »

Ohfck! Is it real?!

Indeed.

So... Dwarves in terrifying zones are all vegetarians?

I would imagine all thier meat is imported...

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5743 on: February 15, 2012, 07:56:44 pm »

Had a dwarf be possessed. I realized he wanted metal, so I forbid everything except platinum.

Hung out.

Checking jobs list, realized that a some dwarves were finally carrying out my dump orders for some stuff cluttering up the butcher shop. Sweet! But wait, they're not carrying anything. Huh. And they're heading down to the magma zone. Where I store my bars. The bars are literally 2 tiles away from the dump zone. Chuck, chuck, chuck. OOOPS. I hit D, not F...  Luckily the few that were lost were brass. Nice to remember that this game is so complex.
: Miner dwarves? In my volcano?

:I put childs into danger room...
They die, and their parents care nothing because legendary dining room.

Ascimator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5744 on: February 15, 2012, 10:00:56 pm »

When I decided to set up the magma forge, had no fuel at the moment and needed another anvil for it. I gave an order and then for some reason instead of waiting for some logs to get hauled in deconstructed the smithery.
The anvil is still to be found. I do not know where that Urist McHauler took it.
I found that thing in the dump.LATE FACEPALM COMBO!
Pages: 1 ... 381 382 [383] 384 385 ... 729