Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 403 404 [405] 406 407 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2126709 times)

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #6060 on: March 31, 2012, 05:32:56 pm »

3rd migrant wave is always huge compared to the first two
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #6061 on: March 31, 2012, 05:41:51 pm »

Decided to flood world with magma, when suddenly a wild High Master weaponsmith appears!
FFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUU
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6062 on: March 31, 2012, 05:43:48 pm »

Decided to flood world with magma, when suddenly a wild High Master weaponsmith appears!
FFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUU
ouch.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6063 on: April 01, 2012, 04:59:02 am »

High master carpenter weregoated. Now he is sitting walled off and is screwing my idle counter.
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6064 on: April 01, 2012, 05:10:36 am »

a child got a mood. So what does he want? shell
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

MenacesWithSpikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6065 on: April 01, 2012, 09:44:28 am »

"The Forgotten Beast Arak has come!  A huge beakless swan.  It has a long, straight horn and it is slavering.  Its light blue feathers are fluffed-out.  Beware its poisonous vapors!"

It doesn't matter how many legendary military dwarves you have, complete with exceptional steel armor and named/masterwork/artifact steel weapons, if they have Advanced Rot and Extreme Swelling all over their bodies.  And track the syndrome all over the fort.

Lessons learned:

Put in a heck of a lot more work on being able to quarantine the caverns, or parts of the caverns, from the rest of the fort.

At this point, my forts really don't do much with either water or magma.  This needs to be fixed.  Need to work on building airlocks/decontamination chambers.  Would also like to learn how to obsidianize a critter like this one.

Need to learn how to make traps other than the traditional kind (i.e. traps that actually work on trapavoid creatures, like creating a cave-in, or giving a creature a magma bath).

Have more beds in the hospital.  Try and locate the hospital somewhere that "forgotten beast extract" won't end up all over the most heavily used corridors in the fort.  I don't really need a hospital near the surface; so far, the really nasty FBs come from deep below, and I laugh at goblin sieges at this point.  Have a hospital for the cavern levels.

Learn more about how to actually get tiles clean.  I read something that suggested that constructing a floor over a contaminated tile will clean that tile.  Gotta try that out.

Pay more attention to my medical dwarves in general.  Train them more before half the fort is spreading miasma everywhere.

In the case of this FB, I'm tempted to say "use marksdwarves only," but it took 40+ pages of combat text by legendary military dwarves to kill this thing in the first place, and it was a fast-moving flyer.  I don't think the marksdwarves would have been able to take it out before it started feasting on my civilians on higher layers of the fort.  Plus the vapors had enough range that SOMEONE was going to get infected regardless.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Leave anything to chance, eventually the RNG will roll a 1 and everything will erupt in a fountain of magma and vomit.

Count Dorku

• Bay Watcher
  • Sounds Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #6066 on: April 01, 2012, 02:49:31 pm »

Latest lesson: giant wolverines are horrible deathforged abominations that mug dwarves for no reason and murderise them. I lost three dwarves to the first one to charge onto my map, before my next conscript (chosen by the rigorous "you'll be next anyway" system) turned out to be a miner as well as carpenter and stuck a pick through its head. Cue frantic construction of copper* weaponry.

*Metal-wise, I don't think my map has anything but tetrahedrite on it; I certainly can't find anything else. Will have to buy tin or iron at the next opportunity.
"when in doubt, Magma"

Miners are diggin out nicely, everything will go right, i hope. hell, what am i even saying? this is dwarf fortress. it wont go right.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6067 on: April 01, 2012, 03:53:11 pm »

Latest lesson: giant wolverines are horrible deathforged abominations that mug dwarves for no reason and murderise them.

you do know that badgers and wolverines are part of the same animal subtypre right? they just live in different regions. So just think of them as giant badgers in a new biome and you'll see they acted as expected.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6068 on: April 01, 2012, 07:55:10 pm »

If I had never heard of this game or knew nothing about the community, I would still expect giant wolverines to be mass murderators.

Count Dorku

• Bay Watcher
  • Sounds Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #6069 on: April 01, 2012, 08:42:27 pm »

If I had never heard of this game or knew nothing about the community, I would still expect giant wolverines to be mass murderators.

Let me put it another way: I was expecting "will ruthlessly maim any dwarves who come too close".

I wasn't expecting "will define 'too close' as 'anywhere that exists'".
"when in doubt, Magma"

Miners are diggin out nicely, everything will go right, i hope. hell, what am i even saying? this is dwarf fortress. it wont go right.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6070 on: April 01, 2012, 08:50:24 pm »

Finally modded Daleks in, decide to play nice game of Adventure. Que murderous ambush.

Digging through aquifer, set up channel designation. Forgot to undesignate center, que very lethal cave in.

MenacesWithSpikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6071 on: April 01, 2012, 09:18:53 pm »

Finally modded Daleks in

Are Stairs > Daleks in your world?   8)
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Leave anything to chance, eventually the RNG will roll a 1 and everything will erupt in a fountain of magma and vomit.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6072 on: April 01, 2012, 09:26:35 pm »

Finally modded Daleks in

Are Stairs > Daleks in your world?   8)

Unfortunately, there's no way to add it. And daleks have [FLIER]. EL-E-VATE

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6073 on: April 02, 2012, 08:10:21 am »

Let me put it another way: I was expecting "will ruthlessly maim any dwarves who come too close".

I wasn't expecting "will define 'too close' as 'anywhere that exists'".

I'mma sigging this.

God I love this game.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6074 on: April 02, 2012, 12:52:46 pm »

Latest lesson: giant wolverines are horrible deathforged abominations that mug dwarves for no reason and murderise them. I lost three dwarves to the first one to charge onto my map, before my next conscript (chosen by the rigorous "you'll be next anyway" system) turned out to be a miner as well as carpenter and stuck a pick through its head. Cue frantic construction of copper* weaponry.

*Metal-wise, I don't think my map has anything but tetrahedrite on it; I certainly can't find anything else. Will have to buy tin or iron at the next opportunity.

As memory serves, silver is currently the gog weapon of hammers (except for artifact gold and platinum hammers).  Think about outfitting soldiers with the silver your tetrahedrite inevitably produces.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.
Pages: 1 ... 403 404 [405] 406 407 ... 729