Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 405 406 [407] 408 409 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2126615 times)

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #6090 on: April 05, 2012, 02:29:58 pm »

booze! booze! BOOZE! Don't let them drink water untill the fish get out to piss first.Shame on you.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6091 on: April 05, 2012, 04:11:29 pm »

My very first fort embarked in a location where water froze in the winter.  I had no idea how to find water, and I watched helplessly as my dwarves died of thirst one by one.  The last to go was a child, scared and alone.  :'(
As a general tip, you should never have so little booze that your dwarves need water to survive.

mrhanman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6092 on: April 05, 2012, 04:57:15 pm »

booze! booze! BOOZE! Don't let them drink water untill the fish get out to piss first.Shame on you.
My very first fort embarked in a location where water froze in the winter.  I had no idea how to find water, and I watched helplessly as my dwarves died of thirst one by one.  The last to go was a child, scared and alone.  :'(
As a general tip, you should never have so little booze that your dwarves need water to survive.

Of course, I realize this now, but as I said - this was my first fort.  But it still got me hooked!  :D

Goodguy3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6093 on: April 05, 2012, 09:47:08 pm »

When I found out Dwarves automatically claimed bedrooms. So much time wasted painstakingly assigning each dwarf to a bedroom. . .
It was a few moments later that my brain supplied the information that it might actually be the name for a male Ostrich..

SRD

• Bay Watcher
  • Who the hell do you think I think you are?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6094 on: April 06, 2012, 02:14:11 am »

Wait... they automatically claim bedrooms? WHAT?
Quote from: LoneTophat
EDIT: HOW DO I STOP THE BLEEDING!
SUPEREDIT: Nevermind. Bled to death ._.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6095 on: April 06, 2012, 02:17:36 am »

They do, as long as the room is available and defined as a room.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6096 on: April 06, 2012, 04:51:17 am »

When I found out Dwarves automatically claimed bedrooms. So much time wasted painstakingly assigning each dwarf to a bedroom. . .
And it if free vampire detection system! (bug #0005642: vampires never claim bedrooms)
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #6097 on: April 06, 2012, 06:10:37 am »

don't think that is a bug... "hey, Urist McNotavamp, don't you ever sleep?"
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6098 on: April 06, 2012, 10:40:23 am »

don't think that is a bug... "hey, Urist McNotavamp, don't you ever sleep?"

See http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=5642

predicted in this post ("it is possible to find vampires by creating bedrooms, without assigning. Wait. Dwarves without claimed ones are vampires")

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=84398.msg2822541#msg2822541 [^]

reply from Toady ( http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=84398.msg2922258#msg2922258 [^] ):

"I don't think I handled that. Keep 'em coming, he he he. It'll be an arms race for a while as we patch up stuff I didn't cover."
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

McFlow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6099 on: April 06, 2012, 12:59:39 pm »

After a goblin ambush, I decided to let my group of marksdwarves go out and hunt. When another ambush appeared, I ordered my dwarves upon the battlements, ready to strike the goblins from afar. But... Because I forgot to disable the hunting labor for them, they only stood there to charge at the goblins and swing at them with their crossbows. This changed the battle from a sure win into a "lose half your fortress and try to stabilise afte the resulting tantrum spiral". Luckily, when I set all of my dwarves to engraving/food/booze/coffin production, everything stabilized... I have yet to reassign the labors of my 40 dwarves though. The horror!
I embarked on an island, saw the ocean was frozen, and decided to dig a fort in there. I forgot that it wasn't a freezing biome...

stormyseasons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6100 on: April 06, 2012, 07:56:10 pm »

When I realised the werebadger affliction was spreading through my fort because the marksdwarf squad was meleeing the afflicted when they transformed. >.<

Fortunately, somehow the fortress inhabitants e.g. wardogs, pets, tame animals, fellow citizens.... can determine who is afflicted or not. Cue a spam of interrupted messages...
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 08:01:48 pm by stormyseasons »
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper GOLD - 475+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Funiculus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6101 on: April 06, 2012, 08:03:12 pm »

I had a run-in with the most ferocious dwarf-eating monster I've ever seen in the game.  Yes, I've held off forgotten beasts, dragons, hydras, creatures too horrible (or typo'd) to describe!

But this...this was a new horror beyond words.  I lost 38 dwarves, 2 caravans; and it ate the better part of 2 goblin sieges.

I speak of course, of the dreaded Dire Waterfall!

I had built my settlement into a mountain side along where two rivers joined into one.  One winded through a valley, the other formed a tall tall waterfall and cut a picturesque canyon.  For some reason, shortly after my first siege; despite six wells supplied by water in their dining rooms and a plethora of booze, both foreign and domestic; it became the "in" thing to race across the map and try to drink water from a particular square of the waterfall; the last one before the edge, of course!

Invariably, this lead to the dwarf being pushed over the edge, and falling to a horrible drowning death.  Imagine my horror as I saw a near continuous line of dwarves; some carrying their infants, racing to try some of that fresh mountain waterfall water!

Burrows, designated drinking areas, strict adherence to zones; no sir!  Nothing was going to keep these dwarves from getting a drink or dying trying...well, all died trying.  Before this silly internet fad could empty my fortress, I managed to lock my dwarves and that seemed to break the cycle.  I sent builders to wall off the waterfall.  I lost 6 builders as they'd go try to drink after placing their stones, but it was enough.  I left a door on the far side locked.

Like clockwork, the trolls smash that door and the goblins all run to that same square; pitching them off to their deaths.  So I guess it's not all bad.  I'm in the middle of engineering a way to get to the sweet sweet supply of bodies and loot at the base of the waterfall.

Besides fortress-killing waterfalls; this has been one of the most vicious monsters I've encountered yet.

Easily on par with the Dread Gazeebo...

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #6102 on: April 06, 2012, 09:36:32 pm »

They're not trying to drink, they're trying to cross at the shallowest point. That's dwarf logic for you.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Funiculus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6103 on: April 06, 2012, 10:17:02 pm »

All of them had the "Drink" status thing; but you're probably right; that was the shallowest point.  Sometimes I hate dwarves.  And cats.  Actually, I always hate cats.

xdarkcodex

• Bay Watcher
  • Watch in awe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6104 on: April 07, 2012, 04:11:22 am »

All of them had the "Drink" status thing; but you're probably right; that was the shallowest point.  Sometimes I hate dwarves.  And cats.  Actually, I always hate cats.
Umm yer
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
It seems they hate you too haha.
the statement below is true
the statement above is false
Pages: 1 ... 405 406 [407] 408 409 ... 729