Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 422 423 [424] 425 426 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2126458 times)

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #6345 on: May 24, 2012, 08:18:59 pm »

well done!
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

DTF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6346 on: May 25, 2012, 03:41:05 am »

Wow, this fort is cursed... must have been the 6th or 7th miner that died due to a cave in. The last one broke the record of falling 10z levels, crashing through the bottom most floor and then falling further into the caverns - forgotten beast must think its feeding time.
In all the games I've played (for ~2 years now) I lost at most 2 or 3 miners in accidents. I am running out of legendary miners...
Must stop mass designating areas to be channeled... must stop digging deep chasms

No wait, I must make DEEPER chasms so their bodies can never be found if they do fall down! Just tell everyone that some dark creature lives in it and everybody will be happy.
(a>b) ? false : true

pivole

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:gut-rotting brews]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6347 on: May 25, 2012, 04:14:40 am »

I disassembled part of my curtain wall, to untrap one of my dwarves from between it and a river. I didn't rebuild it, the river provided an effective moat. It wasn't until the siege that I remembered that a river that freezes for half a year does not provide an effective moat. That was particularly painful.
For glory, Godde and gold in the Virginia Company!

azrael300

• Bay Watcher
  • WERE GOING TO LIVE :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6348 on: May 25, 2012, 08:22:33 am »

i finish my ultamate construction i was about to save but then i pressed the disk eject button and theen my laptop crashed... it did not save it..... facepalm always look at what your pressing in df
Edit. Oh Jesus Christ, Necro would be proud. The second horse in the caravan came in and immediately caught on fire. I looked into his inventory and found a burning pig tail fiber bag. Curious, I looked inside.
quote above is by yuriruler90

DTF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6349 on: May 25, 2012, 10:08:22 am »

"Urist, the enemy is entering our deathtrap airlock pillbox in huge numbers! Get ready to raise the bridge at my command!"
"...raise?"

The subtle disbelief and growing rage you get when you pull the all-or-nothing lever and see the bridge, that your entire strategy is hinging on, vanishing instead or raising.

Dear god. I tried to build walls everywhere to contain the 50 or so goblins as well as possible and channel them through my barracks first. They werent quite in yet, not even in the airlock, but there was so little time left. And soldiers heading off 100 z-levels down to the adamantine facility to drink something didnt help either.
Total chaos ensued. I work with quite restrict burrow assignments (also why do not activate burrow alerts), so that people do not enter certain areas where they have no business. In order to build walls in the barracks I had to adjust the civilian burrow - which, combined with my sudden lack of oversight due to me following the actual combat, led all kinds of people try to fetch some thing or other. Hauling new cages for the traps that approx. 10 more enemies are standing on, eating at the soldier's dinner tables, retrieving x(socks)x.
Out of my  marksdwarves, 2 showed up on the battlements. Thankfully, there were still my adamantine clad (although not terribly experienced) melees. I couldnt really follow what was happening what with all the body parts flying around, but in the end I lost only 3 soldiers and several are wounded although probably not badly.
At least I've found the gaps in my defenses... of which there are quite a few.

Kids, always double check you build the right thing. And always try pulling levers to see they are connected properly before you enter a serious situation...
(a>b) ? false : true

spkarrer

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6350 on: May 25, 2012, 02:06:45 pm »

I like to play chicken with sieges. They spend some time hanging around at the edge of the map, so I like go about my business and wait to seal in my dorfs. Unfortunately, and despite the "SIEGE" warning up top, I forgot about it.... at least until the siege was in the meeting hall.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6351 on: May 25, 2012, 10:43:27 pm »

i finish my ultamate construction i was about to save but then i pressed the disk eject button and theen my laptop crashed... it did not save it..... facepalm always look at what your pressing in df

Disk eject button?

DF on CD? :O
« Reply #6352 on: May 26, 2012, 12:09:58 am »

Elf merchants showed up to trade.

I was bored so I told my military to attack all the "Trader" marked people on the list of targets.

Didn't realize I had exactly the same number of Trader dwarves as the Elves brought merchants. I ended up slaughtering a good 6 of my own dwarves. One of the Speardwarves, gladly murdered his own brother because Armok commanded it.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6353 on: May 26, 2012, 02:49:35 am »

"Oh goddammit it miners, Y U no dig?! >:( "

"Oh, right, burrow...  :-[ "
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #6354 on: May 26, 2012, 12:06:31 pm »

"Oh goddammit it miners, Y U no dig?! >:( "

"Oh, right, burrow...  :-[ "

even then, Yaks and hUmans don't dig
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6355 on: May 26, 2012, 05:37:02 pm »

I was making a ramp. Caravan was leaving.

I look away for a minute. Wall suspended. Okay.

Caravan stuck.

On the ramp. Right in the middle of the newly constructed ramp. The damn thing was finished at exactly the right moment.
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6356 on: May 26, 2012, 06:50:23 pm »

A forgotten beast made of fire in the water caverns, Set military on station above the entrance to the water in-case he decided on saying "hi"...
 Steamed dwarf anyone?

floundericiousWA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6357 on: May 26, 2012, 06:53:10 pm »

Briefly...

Needing a good amount of soap for injuries...

Have lots of buckets
Have lots of ash
Have lots of lye
Have lots of tallow

CanNOT make soap.  For five in game years. At. All.

Discover that all of the buckets of lye are being put in rock pots in food stockpiles.

...face palm ...

Bartinyou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6358 on: May 28, 2012, 12:16:33 am »

Briefly...

Have lots of buckets
Have lots of ash
Have lots of lye
Have lots of tallow

Discover that all of the buckets of lye are being put in rock pots in food stockpiles.

...face palm ...
What version are you running?  This was fixed recently.

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6359 on: May 28, 2012, 02:34:23 am »

Briefly...

Have lots of buckets
Have lots of ash
Have lots of lye
Have lots of tallow

...face palm ...
What version are you running?  This was fixed recently.
Eh.. lye falls under "Misc. Liquid" in 0.34.10 food stockpiles.
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."
Pages: 1 ... 422 423 [424] 425 426 ... 729