Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 461 462 [463] 464 465 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2130629 times)

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #6930 on: August 25, 2012, 12:06:22 am »

Custom profession names to fix the plurals. I feel like I've started a trend because I've noticed a rise in people playing DF humans in the last month or two.

Same, i've been asked by several people for my modbolds so they can play as them.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6931 on: August 25, 2012, 12:07:41 am »

Custom profession names to fix the plurals. I feel like I've started a trend because I've noticed a rise in people playing DF humans in the last month or two.

Same, i've been asked by several people for my modbolds so they can play as them.

Why play as them when playing as humans/dorfs and FIGHTING them is more fun?

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm really too normal to play this game so much.`
    • View Profile
« Reply #6932 on: August 25, 2012, 09:45:18 am »

Play as giant sponges. Which of course requires giving them spongy hands and removing [IMMOBILE].

Then turn your fort into a food factory that exports only food made from tallow. Extra points if you Prepare Carefully and name your fort "Crustycrabs" and your legendary cook "Squarepants."
Children you rescue shouldn't behave like rabid beasts.  I guess your regular companions shouldn't act like rabid beasts either.
I think that's a little more impossible than I'm likely to have time for.

Argus_Mccray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6933 on: August 25, 2012, 11:43:18 am »

I nearly lost a fortress a few days back to a massive fire. I was playing on a high savagery biome, so I had all kinds of weird animal people wandering in and out all the time. I put up lines of cage traps to catch goblin ambushers that kept showing up, but one group of hamstermen decided they were going to make a mad dash into the cage traps en masse. I was annoyed enough that I decided to pit the hamstermen into the volcano on my fort. Well, I failed to notice that the volcano had a ramp on its edge (from where I channeled to get my magma forges working) and the !!hamstermen!! had just enough time to climb out of the magma before dying. I learned a valuable lesson there regarding ramps. I also learned another, equally important lesson: cave moss is flammable. The !!hamstermen!! that crawled out of the magma ignited the cave moss on the floor, causing a rapidly spreading fire that ended up killing 3 dwarves. Thankfully, Urist McCoolheaded was able to get a door to seal the burning section of the fortress before it spread too far. And that's how I nearly lost a fortress to a hamsterman fire.

Darkgamma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6934 on: August 26, 2012, 06:46:27 am »

I've technically lost a fortress due to the fact that the dead rose and the living thrallified, and I dumped corpses beside my bone carver workshop in the centre of the fort. I'm down to two dwarves walled off and surrounded by suppresed aquifer.
if it's a blob made of steel, don't fight it. it may not heal, but it probably doesn't need to.

Supersheepman

• Bay Watcher
  • Because ponies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6935 on: August 26, 2012, 02:31:07 pm »

I'm being attacked by some sort of water titan with a trunk and a poisonous sting. I'm not sure if I should be worried.

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
  • Time for Taako's opinion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6936 on: August 26, 2012, 02:33:46 pm »

I'm being attacked by some sort of water titan with a trunk and a poisonous sting. I'm not sure if I should be worried.

Not at all.

A baby's punch could kill that thing.
My tumblr.
Yeah no I don't haunt here anymore. Peace

Supersheepman

• Bay Watcher
  • Because ponies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6937 on: August 26, 2012, 02:46:27 pm »

Not at all.

A baby's punch could kill that thing.

Actually, it's just killed two of my soldiers, a baby, and an alpaca. Every time someone hits it, it sustains major injuries, but the stinger is a bitch. It breaks bones, and that's before the poison even gets into the bloodsteam. I think marksdwarves are needed.

Darkgamma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6938 on: August 26, 2012, 02:50:47 pm »

Or ballistas. Everything's better with ballistas.
if it's a blob made of steel, don't fight it. it may not heal, but it probably doesn't need to.

Supersheepman

• Bay Watcher
  • Because ponies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6939 on: August 26, 2012, 02:53:15 pm »

Or ballistas. Everything's better with ballistas.

Unfortunately, my uber-ballista battery that covers my entryway is under maintenance right now. The titan picked a fine time to attack, didn't it?

Darkgamma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6940 on: August 26, 2012, 03:26:57 pm »

Eh, that's horrible then. Wall off the ballistas and repair them, then carve out fortifications out of the wall. Ballista batteries hiding behind walls are always extra cool.

Scruffy

• Bay Watcher
  • !!DRUNK FORTRESS!! Come smell the ashes
    • View Profile
« Reply #6941 on: August 26, 2012, 08:17:10 pm »

Eh, that's horrible then. Wall off the ballistas and repair them, then carve out fortifications out of the wall. Ballista batteries hiding behind walls are always extra cool.
And try to get rid of the siege worker's eyes so they don't get scared and start screaming like little kobolds when they see an enemy moving towards the fortifications.
The weredwarf Urist McUrist has come! A bearded drunkard twisted into minute form. It is crazed for booze and socks. Its unwashed beard is tangled. It needs alcohol to get through the working day and has gone without a drink for far too long. Now you will know why you fear the mines.

Et tu, Urist

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #6942 on: August 26, 2012, 08:35:18 pm »

And try to get rid of the siege worker's eyes so they don't get scared and start screaming like little kobolds when they see an enemy moving towards the fortifications.
I never thought of that.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6943 on: August 26, 2012, 08:50:05 pm »

But that strategy has been around for ages, didn't you know? :P
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

Smashness

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS:SLEEP:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6944 on: August 26, 2012, 08:54:25 pm »

Someone should go ahead and change the title of the thread to "Ballista discussion".
Pages: 1 ... 461 462 [463] 464 465 ... 729