Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 476 477 [478] 479 480 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2130855 times)

solarr

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #7155 on: November 03, 2012, 07:32:43 am »

Deciding to sell a captured Dragon (stored next to my booze stockpile) to the Elves for kicks.

Yeahh.
im new, dont get this

my WHYYY thread

Zaffre

• Bay Watcher
  • Thou hath uncivil weaponry and an unclean mind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7156 on: November 03, 2012, 07:43:48 am »

Deciding to sell a captured Dragon (stored next to my booze stockpile) to the Elves for kicks.

Yeahh.
im new, dont get this

my WHYYY thread
Elves are pro-animal.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7157 on: November 03, 2012, 08:28:26 am »

Yeahh.
im new, dont get this

my WHYYY thread
Elves are pro-animal.
I imagine the dragon wasn't tamed yet, with predictible result, to be poste din here

HiEv

• Bay Watcher
  • Denizen of Counter-Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #7158 on: November 03, 2012, 09:34:05 am »

Yeahh.
im new, dont get this

my WHYYY thread

I'm guessing the dragon was being held in a cage, and when he tried to bring the dragon to the trade depot, he accidentally told the dwarves to only bring the dragon, instead of the cage containing the dragon.  Thus the dwarf lets the dragon out of its cage, the dragon proceeds to set fire to everything in its vicinity, including the booze stockpile, which then proceeds to boil/burn away his entire alcohol supply (unfortunately, burning alcohol doesn't explode in DF, though some seem to think it does).
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 09:35:37 am by HiEv »
The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has its limits.

Zaffre

• Bay Watcher
  • Thou hath uncivil weaponry and an unclean mind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7159 on: November 03, 2012, 09:58:03 am »

Recently, I breached the cavern layer. At the time, I had no defense save for a bridge and some stone fall traps. A helmet snake came in from the caverns and killed my legendary Miner and master Mason. Why? They all used blunt attacks on the snake's head. Helmet snakes have armor on their heads, so they laugh at blunt attacks. It ended up getting killed by a child who was sober enough to hit it somewhere other than the head. Kid stomped on its body and crushed it to death.

By then though a tantrum spiral had begun anyway.

nuker1110

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7160 on: November 04, 2012, 12:44:08 pm »

Removing a ramp with a pre-existing digging designation, before figuring out that channeling UP with a ramp designation worked, thus trapping my only miner, and only pick, in a hole in the ground to starve, and haunt my fortress, killing all but the mason/engraver, who recorded everything on a wall prior to his death(again by starvation).

vanatteveldt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7161 on: November 05, 2012, 10:00:01 am »

Having two dwarfs working on a magma chamber for some forges. One dwarf digs the chamber, the other channels the entrance. The second should have waited for the first to finish his digging. And his cat should probably have stayed out in the first place...

Same fortress, digging a magma channel for a defensive moat. Put a green glass floodgate in to be able to drain it later. Didn't think that channeling from above creates a channel 2 levels high. And a floodgate is only one high. And the moat is only one deep. And it connects directly to my general storage area. Now where is that backup file....

Edit: And then after I restored the backup and quickly built a wall on the second level (I made the backup *after* breaching the magma /fp) I want to make a second bridge over the magma, on the same level as the first, and breach it *before* the wall... so the magma gets in anyway. /fp!
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 11:47:26 am by vanatteveldt »

jryan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7162 on: November 05, 2012, 04:20:03 pm »

I was blessed with the rarest of rare maps this weekend in thecurrent version: shallow AND deep metal, flux, clay, sand, cobaltite, aquifer, a long freeze season AND the most rare of them all - a non-conical volcano.  This volcano actually breached the surface at the bottom of a shallow ravine.  The rest of the map was mostly flat about 4 Z levels above the mouth.  moderately forested, lost of plants to be gathered for fermenting.  It was beautiful.  Dwarf heaven.

I spent a year working with the freeze cycle to get a nice shaft through the aquifer, built a wonderful sleeping area, and the room that would be my much loved magma forge room.  Channels dug, everything in place, all that was left was to tunnel to the magma and then channel the last tile from above.

But I was clumsy and tunneled in to the chamber through a diagonal hole, and to make matters worse, my dwarves with nothing to do were all gathering the gems and ore I had just dug out.  Of all the 9 dwarves in my fort, only 1 wasn't in that tunnel when the lava came.  It was the cook who was in my wonderful kitchen making lavish meals to celebrate the grand opening of our forge.

He was so sad... he was probably eating while crying for days.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 04:23:56 pm by jryan »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7163 on: November 05, 2012, 09:06:53 pm »

I prevented a very serious facepalm, when I had a moment of insight, just before a dwarf arrived to channel out a tile. Over my main water line. Which is 5 z-levels over pressure from the point where I was about to channel over it. That would have kinda drowned 90% of my fort. I did facepalm, but it could have been a lot harder.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

djsmiley2k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Milk Me
« Reply #7164 on: November 07, 2012, 08:17:55 am »

Over the last two months or so, during free time at work...... I've read this whole thread.

<facepalm>.

Nothing like coming prepared for failure eh? ;)

I have many facepalms, and now I've read all these, I'm sure I can come up with some more interesting ones to add to the tales of glory..... such as the first time I ever got someone to axe lord status, then I had build some "towers" with bridges to move dwarfs from some really high point on my map down a stairwell to a lower part, and the axe lord was fighting a gobbo at the top for ages.

I presumed he was going to be awhile, they didn't move very much at all - Pull the leaver - Pulled.....

Suddenly the gobbo legs it to the bridge, he is launched directly up and then down, comes down splattered over the floor. At the same moment my axelord dodged something - an stray arrow from a gobbo hidden in the bushes maybe...... yes, he dodged straight off the edge of the now lowered again bridge, to his doom :(
This is Dwarf Fortress, everything has a fetish for socks.

Klitri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7165 on: November 07, 2012, 10:36:02 am »

When teh dorfs went wandering through the newly dug sewer system (For my execution trap...). Shame on them.
"A giant cave bat, a giant cave swallow, and a troll wander into my fort's cagetraps..."

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7166 on: November 07, 2012, 02:56:35 pm »

my last four metal artifacts were two bluemetal crossbows, a splint, and a hammer, also bluemetal.

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #7167 on: November 08, 2012, 12:06:41 am »

Linking levers and bridges for enemy repulsion, I tested the lever without checking to see if the bridges were clear.

One dwarf was in the wrong place and got flung like, 20 tiles back, up some stairs, and a few more tiles. Hit the ground hard enough to bruise his -heart-.

Needless to say, never made THAT mistake again.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

Knick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7168 on: November 08, 2012, 09:01:03 am »

Just had to abandon my fort in the first year.  I wrongly assumed there was sufficient soil to plant underground, failed to set up an irrigation system, and ran out of food.  I might try to reclaim.  It was a really good spot.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day.  Light a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
The great Dwarfen Philosopher Urist McConfused said it best:  "Light a kitten on fire and it will run screaming into the booze stockpile and catch the whole fort up.  I know, we tested it in twelve different forts and it always happened."

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7169 on: November 08, 2012, 10:14:52 pm »

Soldier: Is this cauliflower ear?
Doc: Ya, this is how we fix cauliflower ear around here. 
Doc helps Soldier onto table.  Straps him down, cranks a few levers, pulls him out in traction. 
Soldier: My spine never felt so good.  Hows this going to fix my ear?
Doc: You'll be right as rain.  Gotta run, bye.
18 days passes.
Soldier: Help! Someone get me off this torture table.
Hauler trips over lever, releasing Soldier.  Oops, the Hauler scurries off down the hall, trying not to look too guilty.
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.
Pages: 1 ... 476 477 [478] 479 480 ... 729