Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 491 492 [493] 494 495 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2095972 times)

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
  • Time for Taako's opinion.
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #7380 on: February 02, 2013, 12:09:15 am »

Well, now i know :)

The loss of my first fort ever was also self-inflicted: I was still trying to get the military working, so I relied on a bridge to seal my fortress against intruders. Only a bridge covering the 3 tiles wide entrance, no moat underneath it.
When the first ambush came , I restricted movement of all my dwarfs to the inside of my fortress, waited until the last one crossed the bridge and ordered the Lever pulled...
Which then retracted,leaving my entrance wide open. I only read about raising bridges in the wiki so far, so I didn't know they can do that. I must have somehow hit "x" while figuring out how to build the bridge. So I and my Dwarves learned the hard way...also about the advantages of internal doors, which my fortress totally lacked at this point.

They automatically start retracting. You have to tell the bridge which way to rise while making it.
My tumblr.
Yeah no I don't haunt here anymore. Peace

Insanity X

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7381 on: February 03, 2013, 12:41:27 am »

I order my dwarves to start channeling a hill that's only 1 z-level high, with everything supported. One of them, the expedition leader/broker, somehow skids his head along the ground and kills himself.

Tie your shoelaces, people.
And the lord said unto John, "Come forth, and receive eternal life." but, John came fifth and received a toaster
Urist McMason, Mason cancels Build Important Wall: Making rock mugs.
It was inevitable.
My succession world turn.

thburns

• Bay Watcher
  • I came, I saw..... It sucked!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7382 on: February 05, 2013, 12:25:55 am »

I hurt my palm pretty good today!
After about 8 months of playing this game... And managing stocks the long hard way. I finnaly noticed the [tab] mode button in the stocks screen.
Oh the time saver this will be!

If only life and parenting were as easy as "Dwarf Fortress"

Scorch

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7383 on: February 06, 2013, 05:22:51 pm »

I didn't know this, but it turns out that necromancers can raise the dead who are buried in coffins.
Orbtalon fell to an undead swarm raised from its very own dead. More than four hundred undead present when my fortress finally crumbled.
...and have a fortress protected by weaponized killer trousers. No need for an army. When goblins arrive, just deploy the pants.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #7384 on: February 07, 2013, 02:36:48 am »

My fort just fell to retired, legendary badass adventurers who immigrated in and, incidentally, are werebeasts.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Poncheis

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7385 on: February 07, 2013, 02:58:14 am »

My fort just fell to retired, legendary badass adventurers who immigrated in and, incidentally, are werebeasts.

Now I learned an important lesson: NEVER retire night creatures adventurers.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #7386 on: February 07, 2013, 03:01:34 am »

Now I learned an important lesson: NEVER retire night creatures adventurers.
Well, never retire them on sites of the civ you're going to play as at least.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

terko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7387 on: February 07, 2013, 07:00:24 am »

Whenever I read about 'flooded my fortress' here I snicker and think: 'What were doors invented for again?' ... and then, well, I lost my last fort to a water leak.
... what is a drop of rain, compared to the storm? ... what is a thought, compared to the mind? ... our unity is full of wonder which your tiny individualism cannot even conceive ... I've heard it all before ... you're saying nothing new ... I thought I saw a rainbow ... but I guess it wasn't true ... you cannot make me listen ... I cannot make you hear ... you find your way to heaven ... I'll meet you when you're there ...

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7388 on: February 07, 2013, 07:14:06 am »

You'd be surprised how often I savescum from a flooded fort through an airlock.

MattStriker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7389 on: February 07, 2013, 08:15:46 am »

Experiments with magma, part 47: Trying to build a magma forge closer to the surface I built a pump stack, following the wiki's instructions. I made sure to build the components only of magma-safe materials.

But I didn't make sure to only use magma-safe components in construction. In fact, it turns out I accidentally used a decidedly unsafe mudstone piece left over from an earlier water-pumping effort in a key location.

Which ended up killing the pump stack project...and incidentally flooding my existing deep-down magma forge when I tried to salvage the whole mess. Miraculously I lost no dorfs to the entire incident...just an extremely stupid chicken (seriously. What was that thing even doing down at the magma forge level?).

gunpowdertea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7390 on: February 07, 2013, 09:22:34 am »

As a Dwarven comedian would put it:

Q: Why did the chicken cross the road go down to the magma forge?
A: To die a horrible !!Death!!

But, hey, that was close... I just got my (expected) SIEGE without preparing for it. *sigh* I guess I'll never learn. Let's see how they'll deal with it.
I could lock the fort, but what's the point... oh, actually: I dug a fast access tunnel. Forget about the "locking down". The blood! The Horror! Gotta fetch some popcorn to enjoy the show!
I don't care. I have discovered that if you spawn elves this way, cats will chase them down and eat them.

Aviator CJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7391 on: February 07, 2013, 11:06:46 am »

But I didn't make sure to only use magma-safe components in construction. In fact, it turns out I accidentally used a decidedly unsafe mudstone piece left over from an earlier water-pumping effort in a key location.

I've always been careful not to make this mistake - my last pump stack used only pitchblende blocks. The idea of radioactivated magma brought me much joy...

My own most recent facepalm came from marksdwarf training. I use captured necromancers to raise zombies as live targets (unlive targets?) But I forgot that my dwarfs considered the necromancer an enemy, and put about 8 iron bolts into him.
!!Science!!: Knowledge through magma

There's safe. Then there's unsafe. And then there's the average dwarf fort, which remains unrated because the OSHA inspector flatly refused to go anywhere within a dozen miles of the place.

Kpn.Kardif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7392 on: February 07, 2013, 04:50:15 pm »

I had been quite please lately at how my goblinite separating system has been working.  Two stockpiles set up near the entrance of my fort, one for crappy metal items, the other for crappy cloth items, each set up with a minecart that dumps down a chute when full.  The chute from the crappy cloth stockpile leads to the magma sea, the chute from the metal stockpile drops into a quantum stockpile in my magma smelter complex some 120 z-levels below, where it gets melted down.  This system has been working quite splendidly for several years now, and has become quite important seeing as how the only metal ore available at Glowhalls is tetrahedrite. 

So I polished off the latest siege and was in the process of cleaning up the remains when I get a get an alert in big purple letters: Urist McFurnaceOperator has bled to death.  What?!  I zoom to the location to see my legendary furnace operator lying dead in the middle of my smelter complex.  I thought maybe an imp or something had managed to get in from the magma sea, so I checked combat logs.  The top of the list was "The furnace operator is fighting!" Hmm, probably an imp.

The flying small cobalt boot hits the furnace operator in the upper body, shattering the left true rib
The flying iron warhammer hits the furnace operator in the leg, bruising the muscle
The flying silver arrow (24) hits the furnace operator in the throat, tearing the muscle
    a major artery has been opened!

And about 20 other similar entries.  Definitely not an imp, unless it figured out how to throw random metal objects.  It took me a minute to figure out what must have happened...  He must have been at the quantum stockpile picking up an item to melt at exactly same moment that the minecart above dumped a load of fresh goblinite.  Right onto his head.  From 120+ z levels up. 

Note to self: suspend melt metal object jobs while collecting goblinite.

MattStriker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7393 on: February 07, 2013, 05:14:16 pm »

There's safe. Then there's unsafe. And then there's the average dwarf fort, which remains unrated because the OSHA inspector flatly refused to go anywhere within a dozen miles of the place.

Aviator CJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7394 on: February 07, 2013, 08:24:29 pm »

Sigging that.
!!Science!!: Knowledge through magma

Pages: 1 ... 491 492 [493] 494 495 ... 729