Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 530 531 [532] 533 534 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2126717 times)

Merendel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #7965 on: September 03, 2013, 08:20:13 pm »

Sigh got a new one.  During the year 255 of armok the brave dwarven group "The Tender Sacks" set off from the mountain homes of "Thin ashen rags" to found the fortress of "Pantcrabs".  These truely brave, or crazy, souls set out with naught but a single pick to carve a fortress out of the terifying glacier in the far north.

Agianst all odds they survived the first year, first by butchering their pack animals, they took a couple killings before they stayed dead long enough to wall off their remains.  Finaly they breached the aquifer and managed to get down to the caverns to forage for much needed supplies.  Over time more migrants arrived, and a busteling underground farm was established.  A caravan brought a much needed anvil and a metal industry was beging to be carved out of the deep earth.  Then disaster struck.  Our brave founders of the fort, who had somehow still survived had the last scraps of their clothing rot away.  Because the ever bumbeling oversear neglected to setup a textiles industry, instead alocating all the pigtails to booze production, much junk was on display and a tantrum spiral to end all spirals kicked off.

Note I didnt fiddle with the names on that fort at all.  That was all the name generator.  I swear the game must have known exactly how I was going to screw up that fort.  with so much else that could go wrong on a single pick challange and I forgot to take care of keeping clothing on the dwarves :P

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #7966 on: September 03, 2013, 09:25:32 pm »

"The ashen rags" were probably the cause of "the tender sacks" getting "pantcrabs." That was doomed from the start man.

wer6

• Bay Watcher
  • SCOUT DOESNT WANNA GIVE A KISS
    • View Profile
    • Pirate baaaayyyy!~
« Reply #7967 on: September 04, 2013, 05:41:19 pm »

My squad of hammerpeeps and macepeeps charged into the gobies, only to get turned into pulp by the warlocks behind them, It was so bullshit that three warlocks were behind them at that exact moment, one necromated them and now i have A army of the back door and I have nothing to repel them, Fuuuu....
Just before leaving, Psysquid quickly summons a Burrito in his mouth.

Xcano

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7968 on: September 04, 2013, 07:52:39 pm »

Oh crap! A Forgotten Beast? Better send all my wrestlers after it.

Pinstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7969 on: September 05, 2013, 04:48:07 pm »

This is a self-inflicted one.

Embark in a cold climate, ground is snowy. Build a few outdoor workshops to get some early goods made while my miners dig out a proper fortress. I just let the finished goods pile up at the workshops, while I waited for the future location of my finished goods stockpile to be dug out. (Yeah I know that slows them down, but I wasn't cranking out a ton of goods, just some early beds, doors, tables chairs etc)

It finally hits late summer and the snow begins to melt and I realize to my horror that I've built half of my outdoor workshops on top of frozen murkey pools. I don't get a chance to deconstruct them and move the finished goods off before they all get dumped into the drink.

oldark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7970 on: September 06, 2013, 09:47:18 am »

Was running out of harddrive space so my solution was to disable automatic backups of my fortress.  Crashed within a year.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #7971 on: September 06, 2013, 10:00:31 am »

just had a Migrant wave.

Went from 20 dwarfs to 79.
30 of the arrivals were children.

GAH
I've gotten migrant tsunamis tipping the scales at 90 dwarves. Don't feel bad.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7972 on: September 06, 2013, 10:06:00 am »

Minor facepalm. After I embarked on a new fort, I realized i had allocated novice organizer, appraiser, and recordkeeper to two dwarves by accident. Oh well, I selected the one that I actually wanted and the other guy can be the backup in case one dies or something.

just had a Migrant wave.

Went from 20 dwarfs to 79.
30 of the arrivals were children.

GAH
I've gotten migrant tsunamis tipping the scales at 90 dwarves. Don't feel bad.

90!? Ouch, and even just saying ouch is probably understating it.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #7973 on: September 06, 2013, 01:51:29 pm »

amateurs.

Get really unlucky, and you can go from 26 to 157 in one. single. freaking. wave. Their children, their brothers, their sisters...damn, it's like a tsunami of kids.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

jcochran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7974 on: September 06, 2013, 03:24:30 pm »

amateurs.

Get really unlucky, and you can go from 26 to 157 in one. single. freaking. wave. Their children, their brothers, their sisters...damn, it's like a tsunami of kids.
Sounds like an ideal time for an unfortunate accident....

ranger22550

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7975 on: September 06, 2013, 04:35:34 pm »

sending the untrained new recruits after a fb while the axe lords went to train. found out when my dwarfs training were breaking bones and my fb squad vanished. messed up the orders so my injured axe lords went to kill the fb without further scratches. there just now pissed their kids got om-nommed
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 04:37:29 pm by ranger22550 »

RLS0812

• Bay Watcher
  • ~ Cancels Everything ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #7976 on: September 07, 2013, 06:53:33 am »

I was digging a large tunnel to divert the nearby river, and accidentally ran into the tunnels I had going down into the cave systems I had discovered.
 Now I am flooding the caves with no way to stop the water  :-[
Have you experienced the joys of a dwarven tantrum chain yet ?

jcochran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7977 on: September 07, 2013, 03:37:52 pm »

I was digging a large tunnel to divert the nearby river, and accidentally ran into the tunnels I had going down into the cave systems I had discovered.
 Now I am flooding the caves with no way to stop the water  :-[
If you have access under the river upstream of the breach, just did a tunnel a few zlevels below the river to the map edge, smooth and carve into fortification, then put in some flood gates. Once all that's done, open the flood gates and tap into the river with your new drain. Should be able to handle enough water to lower the level low enough for you patch your accidental breach. When finished, close the floodgates and abandon in place. Not as pretty as not having made a mistake, but it works.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7978 on: September 07, 2013, 10:12:39 pm »

Kind of both a facepalm and a wtf moment. I was trying to kind of reset the military by having them drop their armor by removing it from uniform for whatever reason, then suddenly two dwarves started sparring in what seems to have been an attempted wrestling session when one of them bit the other guys hand as the first move and then throws him so hard with his teeth that the other dwarf's ribs break and shred his heart and bled to death right there.

uhhh..... *savescums back 3 days to the beginning of summer* lol

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7979 on: September 07, 2013, 10:33:20 pm »

There's no such thing as a sparring throw in DF.

Edit: Did you get the 'killed somebody by accident while sparring recently' thought from it?
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 10:34:59 pm by Sutremaine »
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.
Pages: 1 ... 530 531 [532] 533 534 ... 729