Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 534 535 [536] 537 538 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2130970 times)

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #8025 on: September 24, 2013, 02:46:54 pm »

(not quoting 'cos it takes up too much space)
I believe any constructed stairs override carved ones, but may be mistaken as I don't use up/down but rather adjacent up & down (that way if Urist McDoesntBounce gets knocked down them somehow, he only falls 1 level, & yes this does make paths that little bit longer).

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8026 on: September 26, 2013, 07:31:12 pm »

I pitted a semi-wild dragon into the cavern layer to have it fight a FB and to test out what syndrome it gave (apparently just nausea), then it reverted to wild state and expecting it to trigger the cage traps I had placed in the entrance to the cavern level, I had a dwarf remove the wall blocking the entrance.

As expected, it pathed into the fortress, but what I did not expect was for it to suddendly gain trapavoid somehow. Anyway, I sent my military after it and they quickly killed it.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #8027 on: September 26, 2013, 07:39:36 pm »

Any creature that has at one point been part of your faction remembers where all the traps are.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8028 on: September 26, 2013, 07:59:42 pm »

Any creature that has at one point been part of your faction remembers where all the traps are.

Oh that would explain it.

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8029 on: September 26, 2013, 08:19:42 pm »

Cunning beastie.

Icefire2314

• Bay Watcher
  • Programmer and Space Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #8030 on: September 28, 2013, 03:39:50 pm »

Very nearly going to the circus with only 13 dwarves on reclaim.
"ERUTH PULL THE DAMN LEVER THE ZOMBIES ARE ABOUT TO GET INSIDE!"
"zzz"
BAY 12 MINI CITY: http://bay-12.myminicity.com/

Tarqiup Inua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8031 on: September 28, 2013, 05:50:49 pm »

...new Fortress site (somehow I seldom rule one place for too long)...

...first year, everything is going fine, I started making some wooden shields and told my smith to make several copper picks...

...then the Giant Kea came.

So - first I told my military dwarf to grab equipment (masterwork wooden shield and copper helmet and spear)... the Giant Kea decided to be bit more bold after I did that and got closer to my dwarves - it killed one dwarf... what a coincidence! It was my military dwarf running for gear!

Then I decided to draft another dwarf. He grabbed a shield and decided rest of equipment can wait - and started hauling a barrel somewhere. Then the kea stole another masterwork shield, my carpenter got angry because his masterpiece was lost and killed mayor in subsequent meeting, which started a tantrum spiral... seriously... 10 dwarves and I abandon it because tantrum spiral, that's surreal. :-\
Nuri al-Gnat - dwarven apidologist
notable works: al-Gnat's test (for determining the child snatcher's ability to pass undetected while getting stung by bees... or at least look human while at it)

Icefire2314

• Bay Watcher
  • Programmer and Space Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #8032 on: September 28, 2013, 07:11:25 pm »

...new Fortress site (somehow I seldom rule one place for too long)...

...first year, everything is going fine, I started making some wooden shields and told my smith to make several copper picks...

...then the Giant Kea came.

So - first I told my military dwarf to grab equipment (masterwork wooden shield and copper helmet and spear)... the Giant Kea decided to be bit more bold after I did that and got closer to my dwarves - it killed one dwarf... what a coincidence! It was my military dwarf running for gear!

Then I decided to draft another dwarf. He grabbed a shield and decided rest of equipment can wait - and started hauling a barrel somewhere. Then the kea stole another masterwork shield, my carpenter got angry because his masterpiece was lost and killed mayor in subsequent meeting, which started a tantrum spiral... seriously... 10 dwarves and I abandon it because tantrum spiral, that's surreal. :-\

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:King_of_beasts

Second one down, will answer all your questions :P
"ERUTH PULL THE DAMN LEVER THE ZOMBIES ARE ABOUT TO GET INSIDE!"
"zzz"
BAY 12 MINI CITY: http://bay-12.myminicity.com/

LoneChipmunk

• Bay Watcher
  • Chip Chip
    • View Profile
« Reply #8033 on: September 28, 2013, 07:51:42 pm »

Built a bridge to what will be my barracks and training room.
Set up lever, and link it to said bridge.
To test it, I have someone pull it.
Mechanic pulls lever, turns the corner, steps on the bridge, and POOF. Bridge raises, and now I need a new mechanic.

Later on, I pull the lever again, lowering the drawbrige. I didn't know a DAS worked when raising as well as lowering. I expected that guy to go flying, not poof.

RIP 'Mechanic' Udisterib, Farmer
ZombieChicken on #dwarffortress on irc.freenode.net

jonanlsh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8034 on: September 29, 2013, 07:07:51 am »

Built a bridge to what will be my barracks and training room.
Set up lever, and link it to said bridge.
To test it, I have someone pull it.
Mechanic pulls lever, turns the corner, steps on the bridge, and POOF. Bridge raises, and now I need a new mechanic.

Later on, I pull the lever again, lowering the drawbrige. I didn't know a DAS worked when raising as well as lowering. I expected that guy to go flying, not poof.

RIP 'Mechanic' Udisterib, Farmer

if i had a penny for every time someone facepalmed due to a DAS incident, i'd be able to fund Toady for an entire year.

Ticky

• Bay Watcher
  • Polygamist Foul Orgy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8035 on: September 29, 2013, 12:08:19 pm »

Oh, I've had so many, since I'm new to this game, but one that happened recently was funny.

I was trying to make a graveyard outside my fort, and I was wondering why my dwarves were not hauling corpses to it. The burial labor was checked, all was well. I was starting to get very frustrated. Then I realized that the area I was trying to haul the corpses from was my graveyard....

Literally face palmed myself.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8036 on: September 30, 2013, 02:59:43 am »

Found me a nice spot where two rivers met, with moderate cliffs shown pre-embark, with lots of metals, clay, warm-to-hot climate. While painting the restricted traffic zones around the lip of the waterfall (and onto the riverbed), i spied a dark green "A" in the river. Checked the relation to the wagon and yes, the alligator started out practically underneath it.

I tried to get the party away from the wagon double quick by specifying jobs for absolutely everyone before unpausing, but the damn beast still shot out of the water like a jack-in-the box and slaughtered two of my dwarfs (and a dog, too). I would have loved to take revenge, but didn't trust my ability to get miners and woodcutters to use weapons instead of wrestling...

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8037 on: September 30, 2013, 08:59:30 am »

Can't you achieve that by building an up stair instead? I could've sworn they blocked off access from below.
problem is I don't have any miners below, just a mason. so there's just an empty floor and a dead mason after a little while.
As mentioned, up stairs come with an in-built floor.

Not sure if it would have helped with that situation, but you can build your way through a floor. A dwarf trapped underneath can build an up stair, and one of the dwarves above can build a down stair on the floor above the constructed up stair. Once the dwarf below has rejoined the fortress, you can deconstruct the down stair to restore the tile to rock floor.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Pinstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8038 on: October 05, 2013, 10:04:29 am »

Found me a nice spot where two rivers met, with moderate cliffs shown pre-embark, with lots of metals, clay, warm-to-hot climate. While painting the restricted traffic zones around the lip of the waterfall (and onto the riverbed), i spied a dark green "A" in the river. Checked the relation to the wagon and yes, the alligator started out practically underneath it.

I tried to get the party away from the wagon double quick by specifying jobs for absolutely everyone before unpausing, but the damn beast still shot out of the water like a jack-in-the box and slaughtered two of my dwarfs (and a dog, too). I would have loved to take revenge, but didn't trust my ability to get miners and woodcutters to use weapons instead of wrestling...

This wouldn't have been useful right at embark, but having twice as many axes/picks as you intend to have warrior-miners and warrior-woodcutters seems to get around the problem as long as you make them a squad and set picks/axes as their set weapon.

My current favorite embark strategy (the MMMM squad) involves bringing enough ore to smelt 10 bronze picks and having a team of 5/7 of my founders be miners to carve the whole fort out while the other two do economic stuff. Any early threats are delt with by my MMMM squad as bronze picks in the hands of skilled miners are absolutly disgusting against just about anything the game will throw at you early on (Evil biomes notwithstanding)

My current facepalm is that I got a double ambush that hit me and killed 4 dwarfs and injured 4 more RIGHT before i was done setting up my trap defenses (and the nature of the defense meant it didn't work at all until it was 100% complete)

So I finally get the defenses finished and dry-tested (IE no living test subjects) when I'm hit with a siege....that bugs out. Any dwarf I try to send to bait them into coming to my fort proper (and my trap) just gets killed. Here I am wanting to know if my elaborate trap actually works or not!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8039 on: October 06, 2013, 09:30:07 am »

*sacrificial miner opens up HFS*

*miner dies in flames*

*HFS goes into the dwarven checkerboard*

*pulls magma lever*

*sees magma not doing what it should and realizes that the grates got obsidian floored after the dryrun, dangit! XD *

*hits the die command in DFhack*
Pages: 1 ... 534 535 [536] 537 538 ... 729