Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 536 537 [538] 539 540 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2130924 times)

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #8055 on: October 18, 2013, 05:31:56 pm »

Can... Can I have that dwarf?

TheKaspa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8056 on: October 19, 2013, 09:17:39 am »

Dwarf is take by fey mood
I checked showmood: good, I have enough copper bars.
A few months later, he dies. I spent a few days to understand why and then I realized I didn't built a forge...
Tai'shar DwarfFortress

I've heard Minecart Airlines Express offers nice trips to nobility. Alternative trips include a voyage over the volcano. Call 1-800-I-THE-GUINEAPIG-VOLUNTEER and book now!
My fucking armok, you broke the game.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8057 on: October 19, 2013, 09:30:30 am »

Dwarf is take by fey mood
I checked showmood: good, I have enough copper bars.
A few months later, he dies. I spent a few days to understand why and then I realized I didn't built a forge...

I had that happen twice in the same fort with a pair of jewelers. I thought "I should build a jeweler's shop so this doesn't happen again." Then I got distracted equipping my soldiers and dark stranglers attacked and I forgot about it completely because I thought I'd had it built. A year later I end up minus another gemworker. Because I forgot to build the workshop I thought I built.

Erils

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8058 on: October 19, 2013, 09:41:11 am »

I had a dwarf in a fey mood. He had everything he needed except one piece of cloth. I had no way of producing said cloth at the time, but it was almost time for a trade caravan to arrive. I waited and hoped but nothing came.

My dwarf went insane and became melancholy.

The caravan arrived moments later.

TheKaspa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8059 on: October 19, 2013, 10:49:29 am »

I had a dwarf in a fey mood. He had everything he needed except one piece of cloth. I had no way of producing said cloth at the time, but it was almost time for a trade caravan to arrive. I waited and hoped but nothing came.

The second death on GloryAnvils was due to a fey idiotdwarf that wanted leather. Problem was, I had embarked with only ducks and chickenks, dogs hadn't breed yet.
Elves arrived, without leather, of course. He died.
Tai'shar DwarfFortress

I've heard Minecart Airlines Express offers nice trips to nobility. Alternative trips include a voyage over the volcano. Call 1-800-I-THE-GUINEAPIG-VOLUNTEER and book now!
My fucking armok, you broke the game.

turrin

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8060 on: October 19, 2013, 05:42:57 pm »

I just prepared everything for a Siege : Bridge, fortifications, etc. But after retracting my Bridge, I just realize there were still space on the sides of my bridge, just when the first lasher arrived   :o

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8061 on: October 19, 2013, 07:34:25 pm »

The second death on GloryAnvils was due to a fey idiotdwarf that wanted leather. Problem was, I had embarked with only ducks and chickenks, dogs hadn't breed yet.
Did the elves not have animals you could butcher?

draemmli

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Has gone stark raving mad!
    • View Profile
A moat should keep us safe.
« Reply #8062 on: October 20, 2013, 04:29:05 pm »

My current fort is enclosed by two rivers which lead to a 9 Z-levels deep waterfall.
Only one side is open to the map borders.

"Perfect!", I thought, "I should build a moat to keep the (earthbound) nasties out."
And so I did.

Lesson learned: Be careful with water or you'll end up with two drowned miners and a head-shaped dent in your table.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8063 on: October 21, 2013, 09:13:59 am »

Did the elves not have animals you could butcher?

You could have sent your miners or military after some wild animals.

shrike.ex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8064 on: October 21, 2013, 01:45:31 pm »

I had prepared my fortress with an exterior drawbridge and courtyard, with a neighboring training area and barracks. Though the rest of the fortress was only separated from the courtyard by doors, my intent was to include a second drawbridge and moat, so that I could send out my military without endangering my fort itself.

Lucky for my, I got an early titan attack. Whee! Well, I've got lots of marksdwarfs who are just itching for some target practice. The problem is that I haven't installed bait outside the front door, so unless the bridge is down, Mr. Titan doesn't feel like pathing into my firing arcs. "No matter" I think, I'll just let down the bridge. Then I get a great idea. I'll launch the thing. See if I can break its legs or whatever. Brilliant.

I wait for the metal monstrosity to get on the bridge, flip the lever, and watch it go flying. . . right into my courtyard. O.O  See, the courtyard has 2 z-level empty moat, but I hadn't finished the walls yet. The briefly-aerial-and-now-intensely-irritated titan proceeds to utterly wreck my marksdwarves, tear down the door, and mulch what remains of my sad little fort.

Lesson learned. Never teach titans to fly.

Togre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8065 on: October 21, 2013, 02:31:40 pm »

I somehow :'( squandered my plump helmet spawn and am unable to plant anymore.  I don't know how.  But now my noble dwarfs are reduced to surface farmning to obtain adequate booze.
"Hey guys, you know how I've been repeatedly injuring you over and over again for the purpose of training up a team of high skilled doctors? Yeah well we didn't actually need to do that."

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8066 on: October 21, 2013, 02:45:43 pm »

Your dwarves probably cooked all your plump helmets. Unlike brewing, cooking doesn't give you any seeds.

By the way, you can make surface farming plenty dwarven if you do it underground. Turns out a tile which has seen the sunlight once is permanently considered to be outdoors for farming purposes. Just dig an open pit, build a roof over it, and you can farm everything there.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8067 on: October 21, 2013, 04:39:21 pm »

Chickens can give leather, though an individual may be too small to do so. You could also have butchered the male dog, since any females would already be pregnant. Did you butcher the wagon pullers already and turn their leather into a finished item?

I don't think elves bring leather anyway.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

gunpowdertea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8068 on: October 22, 2013, 06:43:27 am »

By the way, you can make surface farming plenty dwarven if you do it underground. Turns out a tile which has seen the sunlight once is permanently considered to be outdoors for farming purposes. Just dig an open pit, build a roof over it, and you can farm everything there.

I like to roof it with glass - preferrably not green glass, as this is too cheap to make ;) if "Dorfs All Harvest" this also reduces cave adaption.
I don't care. I have discovered that if you spawn elves this way, cats will chase them down and eat them.

DwarvesAtWork

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8069 on: October 22, 2013, 11:53:11 am »

I just lost a fort to a severed undead hand!! Somehow it was flung on top of the walls around my main gate. It proceeded to scare everyone that got near the main gate. I mass designated ramps all around the walls, but my masons could not get close enough to build. My marksdwarves refused to shoot at it too. Eventually those trapped outside died of thirst and started a tantrum spiral.
Indie Games to check out:
Dwelvers - Dungeon Management game with 3D digging and economic focus
War for the Overworld - Dungeon Keeper 2 spiritual successor
Dwarf Fortress - the ultimate dwarven simulation engine
Isomer - Mine, Build, and Explore as a squad of aliens crash landed on a foreign world
Pages: 1 ... 536 537 [538] 539 540 ... 729