Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 546 547 [548] 549 550 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2126446 times)

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #8205 on: December 30, 2013, 08:57:03 pm »

So, I tapped the volcano edge, at a diag. In the interest of flow, I cut out an adjoining chunk, and opened up a steady lava flow streaming down the side of the mountain, incinerating the miner and a caravan guard.

Thankfully, no other casualties, though there's  now a shallow lava flow running to the edge of the map on one side.

I thought, without checking the wiki, that if I could stage a cave in to block the spot, it would work, but it wasn't until I'd spent some considerable effort on this project and executed that I learned that constructions deconstruct on impact. Now there are a few stray blocks and a mechanism buried in the lava.

Obviously, what I need is water, but the only sizable water source on the map is a good 20 z levels down on the remote end of the map. Well, I was thinking it was time I set up a well...

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8206 on: December 31, 2013, 02:45:01 am »

I started out in a terrifying biome, and before I even had time to cut into the mountain a thralling cloud hit the wagon and got everyone.
I'm picturing the wagon included, even though I'm pretty sure embark wagons are buildings and can't be thralled.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Proto105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8207 on: December 31, 2013, 05:02:55 am »

I started out in a terrifying biome, and before I even had time to cut into the mountain a thralling cloud hit the wagon and got everyone.
I'm picturing the wagon included, even though I'm pretty sure embark wagons are buildings and can't be thralled.
That's what they want you to think...
 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=128593.0

Getix Kain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8208 on: December 31, 2013, 05:48:02 am »

I just forgot to link (most of) the levers to raising bridges on the surface.

Siege, around 80 goblin + 20 Trolls.

10 Swordmasters + 8 Basic Markdwarves..

"We will make a last stand on the southern bridge! We will die for ROOMEAR!"

(10 minutes later)

"Erhm, sorry.. what happened to the goblins?"
"YOU! PEASANT! START DUMPING ALL THOSE BODIES IN THE DUMP!"  ;D

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8209 on: December 31, 2013, 08:40:31 am »

No, bridges are _not_ constructions. If they're made from a non-magmasafe material, they'll break apart if covered in magma. Fortunately, i was prepared for the magma flood on the level below - just needed to declare a pitchblende door locked. The resultant cave-ins in the casting process caused splashing and enclosed magma pockets in the obsidian layer, though, and my foolish attempt to just channel them out lost me 5,5% of my adult population - my broker/miner/gemcutter: she was washed into the magma by dropping water and made into a statue of herself. Damn. I nuked the other two pockets via cave-in. And now the casting pan has a nice solid obsidian floor instead of the crummy Gneiß bridge.

Eidre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8210 on: December 31, 2013, 10:42:16 am »

Just decided on a (minor) challenge and embarked on a volcano.  Despite there being a perfectly serviceable plateau on the top level (61 z-levels up), Armok decided to dump my dwarves and all of their stuff on the *extreme cliffs* half-way up the side of the mountain...with no wagon...and it's a very tree-poor site.

KingBacon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8211 on: December 31, 2013, 12:24:01 pm »

So I just tapped a magma tube and a fisherdorf has caught fire. Except none of his clothes are burning and he isn't taking damage.... temp is on. Gonna dig down to the caverns and find some water for the poor sod. Hope this doesn't end badly.
    e    e   e    U   U     
, , , . , , , , , , , ; , , , , , ; , , , , , 
. . . . . . . e U e   . . 0╬0 
###x##############
###x .  . ☼ ☼####£####
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

wer6

• Bay Watcher
  • SCOUT DOESNT WANNA GIVE A KISS
    • View Profile
    • Pirate baaaayyyy!~
« Reply #8212 on: December 31, 2013, 05:09:40 pm »

So I just tapped a magma tube and a fisherdorf has caught fire. Except none of his clothes are burning and he isn't taking damage.... temp is on. Gonna dig down to the caverns and find some water for the poor sod. Hope this doesn't end badly.
He probably has no fat on him.
Just before leaving, Psysquid quickly summons a Burrito in his mouth.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8213 on: January 01, 2014, 04:56:12 pm »

I'd been wondering why my marksdwarves hadn't been using any of the hundreds of bolts I had made for them.

I issued them to the wrong fucking squad. The Hammerheads are a hammerdwarf squad. As in not marksdwarves. I haven't been able to deploy the marksdwarf squad (the Wolverines) because I had derped and not noticed their ammo was ear marked for guys who wouldn't even use it. Been a while since I facepalmed over military management.

Doktoro Reichard

• Bay Watcher
  • Lunatic formerly known as Escaped
    • View Profile
« Reply #8214 on: January 04, 2014, 08:41:48 pm »

A Possessed Ranger created an Artifact gabbro puzzlebox, that's worth nearly as much as my whole fortress combined.

What's puzzling is why is this artifact worth so much. Maybe Armok will send a !!FUN!! test down the road.
I have to write something... well here goes:
"A dwarf isn't a dwarf unless he dies the most !!FUN!! of ways", Quote unknown, possibly Armok.

Doktoro Reichard is quite pleased with making a Great Carbonite Trap

Why shouldn't you write with a broken pencil? Because it's pointless!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8215 on: January 04, 2014, 09:08:40 pm »

Not seeing the facepalm, also, I notice that your booze supplies are dangerously low.

Doktoro Reichard

• Bay Watcher
  • Lunatic formerly known as Escaped
    • View Profile
« Reply #8216 on: January 04, 2014, 09:24:47 pm »

Not seeing the facepalm, also, I notice that your booze supplies are dangerously low.

I'm somewhat new to the game, so the definition of facepalm may differ from perspective. The booze supplies got that low because I've ordered my dwarves to fetch about 800 single stone mugs to a trader and forgot to relieve the "master" Brewer of his hauling duties.
I have to write something... well here goes:
"A dwarf isn't a dwarf unless he dies the most !!FUN!! of ways", Quote unknown, possibly Armok.

Doktoro Reichard is quite pleased with making a Great Carbonite Trap

Why shouldn't you write with a broken pencil? Because it's pointless!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8217 on: January 04, 2014, 09:57:37 pm »

You should invest in bins and I generally make my farmers the brewer as well and turn off hauling duties for all of them. Except for the first few seasons until the workforce builds up enough to take up the slack.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8218 on: January 04, 2014, 09:59:05 pm »

A Possessed Ranger created an Artifact gabbro puzzlebox, that's worth nearly as much as my whole fortress combined.

What's puzzling is why is this artifact worth so much. Maybe Armok will send a !!FUN!! test down the road.

Simple: native gold and almandine decorations. A decoration has a base value of 10, artefact quality has a value multiplier of 120, native gold has a value multiplier of 30 and almandine one of 20. It all multiplies up, so you get 2x native gold decoration for 2x36.000☼ and 2x almandine for 24.000☼ each, sum 120.000. And right enough, there's only the puzzlebox itself and two more mundane-material decos left, giving a further 3600, so it works out to the correct value.

Bummer that it was a possession, a legendary stonecrafter is quite useful for easy trade crafts and rock pots.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8219 on: January 05, 2014, 10:26:36 am »

The booze supplies got that low because I've ordered my dwarves to fetch about 800 single stone mugs to a trader and forgot to relieve the "master" Brewer of his hauling duties.
If you've got open water, it's fine. Multiple dwarves can drink from water that's right at their feet.

It's a bit of a pain when you get low enough on booze that dwarves start to fill their waterskins with water, because they'll be drinking that water for a while.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.
Pages: 1 ... 546 547 [548] 549 550 ... 729