Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2095642 times)

Retales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2009, 06:44:41 am »

First, discovering that Spirits of Fire don't trigger traps... *facepalm*
Second, discovering that Spirits of Fire destroy doors... *facepalm*
Finally, discovering that Spirits of Fire vapourize water near them and set dwarves on fire... *facepalming spree!*

Like you might figure out, all three of those happened within a rather small timespan.
Quote from: roundedge link=topic=27527.msg362681#msg362681
And so, little dwarfling if to mayor you rise
never forget to heed this advice
when it's items outdoors, no matter how small
remember remember to forbid them all.
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2009, 08:04:16 am »

Facepalm moments? I tend to make some serious errors occasionally...Example: Flooding my fortress accidentally, after 2+ years of playing with DF? Now that is a facepalm moment. Thankfully I don't make serious errors on a daily basis, but it happens sometimes.  ;D
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 08:06:59 am by Tormy »

Hydra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2009, 08:06:10 am »

discovering the d->b menu.

oh god, the finger-destroying ages spent with the k tool manually dumping individual stones

Same :)

Paranatural

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2009, 08:20:51 am »

For awhile I was oblivious to the mass forbid/dump/melt features; I spent more time with the game paused after a siege marking stuff than the siege lasted.

Wait, do what now? How the hell do you do that? Man, I've wasted forever after all these orc sieges melting crap!

When I figured out that I could use my mouse for designating things...

Wait, you can use the mouse with DF?

oh god, the finger-destroying ages spent with the k tool manually dumping individual stones
Dumping stones? What's that mean?
The corpses appear to be primarily concentrated under the dead cat.  - Untelligent
Mental Health 6/6. You easily comfort yourself knowing that Paranatural's Hot Stubble And Deliciously Unwashed Armpits will be  waiting for you whatever happens.

salttotart

• Bay Watcher
  • Ackbar is always right!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2009, 08:29:16 am »

For awhile I was oblivious to the mass forbid/dump/melt features; I spent more time with the game paused after a siege marking stuff than the siege lasted.

Wait, do what now? How the hell do you do that? Man, I've wasted forever after all these orc sieges melting crap!

Wow, either you are the most clueless person here or a sarcastic idiot for trying to make people feel even more stupid.
If this all doesn't fix it, your dwarfs are lazy. Apply magma.
"And thereafter, all dwarven children were taught to mind their stools, lest the toilet-fiends snatch their souls from their bottoms"
Try rubbing a cat on it, that seems to help.

Lesconrads

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2009, 08:32:25 am »

I now know about mass-forbidding items... I kinda have the urge to raise my hand and accelerate it towards my forehead

I did know about mouse-designation, but i don't use it at all... it's just not working well enough

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2009, 09:19:04 am »

Evry time it is possible for a dwarf to build himself behind a wall I have reason to facepalm.

nirodragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Nirodragon cancels sleep: Interrupted by DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2009, 10:42:27 am »

Having caves revealed and embarking with one in the corner of the embark zone, only to have my dwarves spawn right by the entrance while all FIVE legendary giant inhabitants are out for sun.

I think it took about 10 seconds, but
Code: [Select]
Your fort has crumbled to its end.
Urist McMiner cancels Mine: Taking a dump
Urist McMiner was disgusted by a miasma lately

I can't believe I just went there...

kefkakrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2009, 10:55:11 am »

When I build towers, I generally build with up/down staircases on all four corners, inside and outside, with squares of floors that have each staircase as a corner. This is scaffolding for the walls. It makes it much easier to, for example, go in later and add pipes for the magma to come out and visit justice upon the heathen.

After building a magma tower, which took years and this building method probably tripled the work involved, I decided to use bridges instead of floors for the water tower. Which involves about a quarter the work, even considering the time factor for building the bridges. So yeah.

Better ones: Sparring accidents (DAMN YOU CHAMPIONS!), flooding (DAMN YOU DIAGONAL FLOWS!), and for some reason, the mayor position in my current fort is cursed such that the mayor always seems to lose his wife and kids shortly after being elected.
This is a Dwarven corpse. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encircled with bands of pathetic and menaces with spikes of fail.

dood_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2009, 11:15:31 am »

Pulling the wrong lever, and the subsequent drowning of everyone. Bar two fishermen.
It seems very dwarven to use the hell itself as a garbage disposal. I can just see this isolated pile of goblin clothing, rotten food, and chunks of animals sitting there in a featureless plain, slowly cooking in the heat as demons pick at it.

highholyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2009, 11:18:10 am »

Using stone stockpiles to clear out my other stockpiles before I  was informed of the dumping menu. <facepalm>

Losing my entire fort to one GCS due to not understanding the forbid menu. <facepalm>

And recently I mined out a small bit of a frozen river then backtracked to put in floodgates and controls... while I was waiting for the dorfs to put in the gates the river started to thaw... Needless to say it didn't turn out well. <facepalm>

Teferi

• Bay Watcher
  • Planeswalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2009, 12:31:13 pm »

discovering that wells could be more than one z-level deep. had one fort with a rather nice aqueduct system in one fort going up three z-levels
I think it'd be better to just throw him in a pit.
By pit I mean "ledge designated as pit some 30 levels above the ground water magma" and that would,as they say be the end of that.
Unless a sword/axedwarf gets to 'em.. then it's rhesus pieces...

Moron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2009, 12:54:19 pm »

Just had a face palm moment when testing a mod I'm working on: I realised that no matter how big and bronze-colossus-like you make your invaders, an ordinary goblin with a bow is more dangerous.

azazel

• Bay Watcher
  • Department of Redundancy Department
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2009, 01:01:55 pm »

d->b->m lets you designate an area where all meltable objects will be designated for melting.
likewise, d->b->d will dump all objects in a garbage dump

Yes, but I find it rather useless myself, since you can't click-and-drag an area.
Press i, designate an area (end with enter), then you can choose what the area is. g selects garbage dump, and if you select stones for dumping, they will get moved to that area instead of litter your stockpile rooms and whatnot.
マグマキッド

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2009, 01:04:24 pm »

Playing, embarking, my cats explode. Whoooooooooooooooops forgot that one....
Same fort, a year later, Orcs come on the map... and explode.

I guess I was a bit overexicted with hometherm...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 729