Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2095690 times)

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2009, 01:07:41 pm »

Mass designations.

Mass constructions.

Mass stone selections for constructions.

Realising I had a horrendously complex water-powered system for pumping water and magma with lots of levers and pumps and no idea what did what.

When I discovered I could colour-code workshops.

Miasma avoidance through OUTDOOR BUTCHERY.

That my current fort was running out of booze because I just wasn't making enough plants.
Running out of barrels because I was making too many plants and prepared meals.

Making soap and realising that it's virtually useless.

Realising that playing DF was painful because I'd dislocated a finger at karate training.
(This usually happens every few weeks. I've discovered I can knock them back into joint by holding them right and flexing the finger. It goes crunch quietly and it suddenly moves easier and less painfully.)
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Benitosimies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2009, 01:32:09 pm »

A siege occurs; I decree that only soldiers can go outside.

Every plebe dwarf three squares from the entrance runs further outside and has their legs broken and dogs murdered by hammergoblins.

I guess if dwarves are already outside they don't think to run inside past all the cage traps they put in for just this purpose.

It is for this reason that I read 'Fisherdwarf' as 'Lone Victim'.
Something really needs to be done about ice. At the moment it's like some kind of Pitch Black threat where everyone dies at sunset. Feel free to substitute that film reference with one without Vin Diesel.
--Skizelo

Marko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Roomies
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2009, 01:42:18 pm »

discovering the d->b menu.

oh god, the finger-destroying ages spent with the k tool manually dumping individual stones

Same :)

just had a face-palm moment after finding that out right now! :o
Hm.
WHERE IS THE SAVE?
AN HOUR LATE?
OFF WITH HIS HEAD

wigwam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a wigwam! I'm a teepee!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2009, 01:46:50 pm »

Digging into a river during the winter (THROUGH my fortress), then forgetting to build a wall again to keep the water in the brook. I didn't notice until I got spammed the "Urist McHauler cancels (whatever): Dangerous terrain." Of course, at the same time, I also figured out that bauxite floodgates with rhyolite mechanisms work great! Until you open them, that is. At that point, my fortress was getting flooded with two liquids from opposite ends. I thought that deserved a facepalm with both hands at once.

TheDJ17

• Bay Watcher
  • [SWAG]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2009, 02:53:18 pm »

That Tower Caps only grow when you have a river.
The spinning =<*Free Form Jazz*>= strikes the Poster in all the senses, ya' dig, utterly blowing the mind!
The Status Quo has been struck down!

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2009, 03:03:43 pm »

Shift+Move on a designation cursor must take into account the tile the cursor is already on.

A good 300+ stone wall had to be moved after THAT mistake.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Paranatural

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2009, 03:38:00 pm »

d->b->m lets you designate an area where all meltable objects will be designated for melting. likewise, d->b->d will dump all objects in a garbage dump

When I figured out that I could use my mouse for designating things...
Wait, you can use the mouse with DF?
Yes, but I find it rather useless myself, since you can't click-and-drag an area.
oh god, the finger-destroying ages spent with the k tool manually dumping individual stones
Dumping stones? What's that mean?
Press i, designate an area (end with enter), then you can choose what the area is. g selects garbage dump, and if you select stones for dumping, they will get moved to that area instead of litter your stockpile rooms and whatnot.
[/quote]

Thanks!
The corpses appear to be primarily concentrated under the dead cat.  - Untelligent
Mental Health 6/6. You easily comfort yourself knowing that Paranatural's Hot Stubble And Deliciously Unwashed Armpits will be  waiting for you whatever happens.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2009, 03:50:56 pm »

I lost my 2nd fortress due to dehydration because I didn't know about designating drinking zones.

It was a pretty good start too. :(

EDIT:
I also felt really dumb when I had very little food and drink in my fortress, but could easily see a ton that was unclaimed. Turns out I forgot to reset (O)rders back to picking them up again.

My stocks tripled after the facepalming.

BTW- there was an incident that required me to forbid or something, or it auto-forbade things once made or something. My head was buried in my desk in shame.

(And please, don't ask about my first fort.)
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 03:55:57 pm by Itnetlolor »

Zona

• Bay Watcher
  • SEE YOU SOON
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2009, 04:17:19 pm »

discovering that wells could be more than one z-level deep. had one fort with a rather nice aqueduct system in one fort going up three z-levels

Wait... What?

*Facepalm*
Those lucky dwarves, despite the risk of being stabbed, shots, poisoned, eaten, mauled, enslaved, eviscerated or involved in accidents... at least they don’t have to worry about immediate dangers like the heat death of the universe.

kalida99

• Bay Watcher
  • ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2009, 04:24:24 pm »

When i realized booze exploded...
Let's see how those degenerate sophisticates handle a healthy dose of pure unreasoning violence.
— Commander Fleyitch

Livonya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2009, 05:29:07 pm »

Here is my most recent face plant moment.

I have made 5 attempts at building a 35 to 40 level obsidian tower that is about 40x40 squares per level.  They always end with some disaster. 

My strategy is to hollow out my tower, and then fill one level at a time with lava, slowly building up a solid tower of obsidian that can then be dug out.

During my 4th attempt I decided that it would be easier to pump water from the bottom level of my fortress because the water pressure will keep the area under the pump filled so that the water pumps faster.

So I dig 23 levels down (23 40x40 levels!).  I build the infrastructure to re-route the river, and the pump house.  This takes about 2 years in game time.  I am essentially doing nothing else.

I then release the river only to realize that the water pressure which I was thinking would help me pump faster also fills my tower with water. 

So now I have 23 levels dug out, but 14 of them are filled with water.

Duh.

I am now on my 5th attempt.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2009, 05:37:11 pm »

you can built constructions more than one tile at a time.

What?  HOW?  o_o

Impending facepalm...
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 21, 2009, 07:03:13 pm »

Finding out just what those items in purple are on the trade screen.

Figuring out why I was losing masterpiece wood items when all my stockpiles were next to a magma pool.

Combating giant bats by stationing champion wrestlers adjacent to the chasm.

Using ramps to dig out a frozen aquifer.

you can built constructions more than one tile at a time.

What?  HOW?  o_o

When building walls and floors and the like, use uhkm to change dimensions.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Icarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 21, 2009, 07:38:20 pm »

First: Not reading up on water pressure. My well flooded all my sleeping dwarves.
Second: Giving Champion an Artifact Adamantine Axe and setting him to spar with a peasant
Third: Realizing Floodgates don't stop HFS
Fourth: Setting the order "Dwarves gather outside Refuse" when there were dozens of corpses near 2 GCS

salttotart

• Bay Watcher
  • Ackbar is always right!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 21, 2009, 07:41:04 pm »

d->b->m lets you designate an area where all meltable objects will be designated for melting. likewise, d->b->d will dump all objects in a garbage dump

When I figured out that I could use my mouse for designating things...
Wait, you can use the mouse with DF?
Yes, but I find it rather useless myself, since you can't click-and-drag an area.
Dumping stones? What's that mean?
Press i, designate an area (end with enter), then you can choose what the area is. g selects garbage dump, and if you select stones for dumping, they will get moved to that area instead of litter your stockpile rooms and whatnot.

Thanks!
[/quote]

And now I feel like an idiot myself.  I really thought you were trying to poke fun at the earlier posters.  My extreme apologizes.
If this all doesn't fix it, your dwarfs are lazy. Apply magma.
"And thereafter, all dwarven children were taught to mind their stools, lest the toilet-fiends snatch their souls from their bottoms"
Try rubbing a cat on it, that seems to help.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 729