Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 566 567 [568] 569 570 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2095504 times)

Abadayos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #8505 on: May 07, 2014, 08:27:27 am »

Everything was going fine in my first year, 2 small migrant waves taking my fort to 20 dwarves. After getting a load of traps set up and other little projects started I get my first big migration wave...35 or so. I was expecting a large wave as my fortress worth had jumped to almost half a million in the first year (some expensive artifacts got made and trap components are not cheap).

Now that I have a large influx of fresh meat, I guess it's time to get the military set up because I now expect a decent sized invasion. Also just had a werebeast show up, my makeshift squad mobbed it and beat it to death with the butts of their crossbows. Was quite funny to watch as now I have a 10x10 area just outside the fort covered in blood. Only lost 1 dwarf but no-one knew them (new migrant) so not too bad.

Fun times ahead.

MerkerBenson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8506 on: May 07, 2014, 04:03:24 pm »

Legendary lumberjack, had arrived in 2nd year of the fort, wife of the bookeeper, survivor of countless sieges in the 8 year history of the fort, has a lumberjack JOB to do near the guarded entrance of the fort. What does she do? For no reason AT ALL, ignores her jobs, rational thought, food and water locations, anything useful to do and wanders off to the OTHER SIDE of the fort, at the EXACT SAME time as a goblin ambush. The dwarfette survives the archers, dodges them, then decides it's time to tempt fate again and stumbles upon another ambushing squad of lashers. But she's agile, she outruns them repeatedly...except she keeps running in circles. By the time the squad gets to her she's toast!!!
Why?! Oh why?! She had a job, nothing to do in that part of the map....sigh...I hate dwarfs!

Cheers

Kreydurst

• Bay Watcher
  • Is insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #8507 on: May 07, 2014, 08:53:09 pm »

Left food supplies atop of river on accident on embark. River melted. Dwarves went insane soon after due to my lack of giving a damn.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #8508 on: May 08, 2014, 11:10:58 am »

When the embark started and my fisher just walked up to a creek and got torn apart by lamprey and carp
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #8509 on: May 10, 2014, 07:37:54 am »

I was tidying up a fort entryway by removing all the excess dirt in front of the entrance when I realized I had left the above floor. I designated my miners to go channel it out with the power of saidin, when one of them makes the famous decision to channel the spot he was standing on.

He landed, of all places, on his head.

Seeing the fort's lack of minepower, I abandoned.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • Obey the Fist!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8510 on: May 10, 2014, 07:01:44 pm »

Rerouted a river underground, creating a lovely waterfall in the process. Migration wave comes, they have no better idea than cross the river through the waterfall. Now their corpses are stinking the new dining room, i wanted them to have good thoughts from the WF but now they have miasma as well.

Argus_Mccray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8511 on: May 11, 2014, 08:17:56 pm »

I just had a hunter lose a fight... to a cavy sow. Apparently guinea pigs can cave in your skull.

Krawdad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8512 on: May 11, 2014, 10:06:19 pm »

I've been playing for about two years now and I never figured out why some dwarves would get the happiness modifier, "Has complained about the draft recently" when they had plenty of clothes equipped, often even armor, and it wasn't cold out or winter time. I facepalmed yesterday when I realized it was referring to being drafted into the military.

joeymax23

• Bay Watcher
  • How can you stop hue/When hue is already hue?!
    • View Profile
    • Land of Knowledge and Answers
« Reply #8513 on: May 14, 2014, 09:50:01 pm »

tfw

I realized that it's MUSICALITY and not MUSCICALITY
So when I thought I had been dumping all my points into buffed up superhuman adventurers, I was just making ones that are okay with a lut
When we are born, we cry
When we die, we understand why.

Mr.Mountain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8514 on: May 14, 2014, 11:28:30 pm »

First forgotten beast came along. Landed one kick on my militia commander. The kick was deflected. Wrestler proceeds to bash FB's skull in. Perfect on my part, facepalm for the most pathetic FB ever.
no one could have anticipated this

indyofcomo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8515 on: May 16, 2014, 09:55:41 am »

Oh, so dwarves won't get babies and children food and water like they will animals and dwarves too busy to leave their workshop?  Ah, so my first nursery attempt was worthy of criminal charges....

Urist McShire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8516 on: May 16, 2014, 12:14:10 pm »

I embarked yesterday for a new fortress with no tools, but the ores needed to smelt and make them. Everything was going along fine until I tried to build a wood furnace.

Needs fire-safe stone.

I forgot to bring any with me. Now I can't even made a pick to dig with. *EPIC FACEPALM*

WoobMonkey

• Bay Watcher
  • High Lobster of Fluffy Wamblers
    • View Profile
« Reply #8517 on: May 16, 2014, 12:23:13 pm »

You can allow one of your ores to be used in construction, through <z> ---> Stones.  Just remember to disallow it, once you have a piece of charcoal to build a new wood furnace.
Edangzak Utharsanad Gedor - think you have what it takes?
CharmCrafted

The dog misses the ball!
The ball softly hits Urist McTrainer in the head, breaking the paper-thin skull and denting the non-existent brain!

indyofcomo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8518 on: May 16, 2014, 01:08:01 pm »

I embarked yesterday for a new fortress with no tools, but the ores needed to smelt and make them. Everything was going along fine until I tried to build a wood furnace.
Needs fire-safe stone.
I forgot to bring any with me. Now I can't even made a pick to dig with. *EPIC FACEPALM*
Steal from the first caravan?  ;)

sal880612m

• Bay Watcher
  • [SANITY:OPTIONAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8519 on: May 16, 2014, 01:28:22 pm »

You can allow one of your ores to be used in construction, through <z> ---> Stones.  Just remember to disallow it, once you have a piece of charcoal to build a new wood furnace.

I did basically the same thing as Urist McShire except I instead I took one of the stones you can't use for furnaces. I ended up using the iron bar I brought to build a kiln to collect some clay. Wish I had thought of the above.
"I was chopping off little bits of 'im till he talked, startin' at the toes."
"You probably should have stopped sometime before his eyes."
Pages: 1 ... 566 567 [568] 569 570 ... 729