Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 569 570 [571] 572 573 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2095708 times)

jcochran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #8550 on: May 29, 2014, 10:37:29 am »

This is one of them..
It is during a siege and that goblin just danced his way through the arrows(using a mod).

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Yup, the various weapon lords are very very hard to hit. You ought to see what the combat log looks like when one of 'em gets into the goblin grinder. They pretty much never get hit. In fact, they are the reason that my goblin grinders are now   hatch cover, pressure plate, weapon trap, weapon trap, ..., weapon trap, cage trap, pressure plate, hatch cover. The normal troops get diced and sliced fairly rapidly among the first few weapon traps and the weapon master dances and avoids all the weapon traps before being grabbed by the cage trap at the end of the line.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #8551 on: May 29, 2014, 02:50:25 pm »

Upon closer inspection, the typical angry honey badgers caused him to jump into the pond.

That idiot.

Also, the game gives you a notification when someone is stung by a bee.

This calls for a comic.

EDIT: Oh, lol. My dorfs kept engraving windows on the wall of the dining room.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 03:42:06 pm by Tawarochir »
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #8552 on: May 29, 2014, 04:27:56 pm »

That last one made me crack up.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #8553 on: May 29, 2014, 08:08:56 pm »

Yay, I finally made a funny comic.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8554 on: May 29, 2014, 10:09:54 pm »

That moment when you realize that your forgot to separate the were-elephant from the dining hall party before the full moon . . .
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #8555 on: May 30, 2014, 12:28:49 am »

That moment when you realize that your forgot to separate the were-elephant from the dining hall party before the full moon . . .
At least it wasn't a wedding.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #8556 on: May 30, 2014, 12:41:07 am »

Embarked on a volcano with a tiny bit of forest in the corner, set my dwarfs to build a bridge over the crater, carve a massive awesome entrance, only to realize the only soil is aaaaall the way over in that tiny corner. Had to dig all the way to the caverns, and thankfully got a large chunk that was easy to wall off, but now I'll have to build most of the fort far away from the awesome entrance hall, waaaaaaaay deep down.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8557 on: May 30, 2014, 01:10:47 am »

At least it wasn't a wedding.
Would certainly be an order of magnitude worse than having ol' uncle Urist get up on a table and give a sober toast to the couple.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 01:13:05 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Dampe

• Bay Watcher
  • Texan Gamer
    • View Profile
    • My brand-new YouTube channel!
« Reply #8558 on: May 30, 2014, 09:37:15 am »

Spending about 30 minutes carefully planning my embark, and then realizing I forgot to give any of my dwarves the "Miner" skill.
I didn't even make it to the first migrant wave, all seven dwarves were slaughtered in an alligator attack.  :-[
Regards,
Dampe

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8559 on: May 30, 2014, 09:40:50 am »

Cage traps.  So awesome.  A line of them by the river and a pastured animal.  Worth it if you have wood.

As an aside, am I the only one who notices that there is an awesome animal for taming/capture on the map (or one that shortly migrates onto the map) when the game starts and once it leaves it never shows up again?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

sal880612m

• Bay Watcher
  • [SANITY:OPTIONAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8560 on: May 30, 2014, 09:46:47 am »

That happens to me as well.
"I was chopping off little bits of 'im till he talked, startin' at the toes."
"You probably should have stopped sometime before his eyes."

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8561 on: May 30, 2014, 08:55:10 pm »

Spending about 30 minutes carefully planning my embark, and then realizing I forgot to give any of my dwarves the "Miner" skill.
I didn't even make it to the first migrant wave, all seven dwarves were slaughtered in an alligator attack.  :-[
Couldn't you have just assigned a dwarf to mining? Or did you and they were just too slow?
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8562 on: June 05, 2014, 09:07:59 am »

Embarked on a cold area. Dug a reservoir and began to fill it with water. One z-level lower than the river bed. It worked well. The next year, I decided to refill it when the water were all used to make a bathtub. And I opened the reservoir gate. However, water flooded from the well and four dwarves immediately drowned. It turns out that the downstream of the river is right on the edge of a colder area, and hasn't thawed yet, so the river was dammed, and water would rise to the same z-level as the river bed!
All of them are wearing copper and Iron masks saying "in a time before time somebody attacked somebody"

Show undead posts since last visit.

thefish1992

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8563 on: June 06, 2014, 12:04:59 pm »

When designing a gas chamber. in its first test i learned 4 things about these things.poison gas FB don't have much range. That FBs with poison in its description dose NOT guarantee it will be a lethal poison,(vomit but thats about it), that i did not plan it to keep archer from just killing (a fairly useless) FB, and finally that my water purge system i had originally planned to clean the goblinite makes for a really good drown trap.
Dwarven science. A logical solution, to a illogical problem.

firelord84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8564 on: June 06, 2014, 06:05:41 pm »

So, I finally negotiate peace with the elves and they give me a tree-cutting quota because, honestly, I don't have time to deal with them and my ranged defenses are currently imperfect.  The elf diplomat proceeds to leave via the main entryway and gets slaughtered by my civ's dwarven caravan which is currently trading there and, apparently, still at war *facepalm*
Pages: 1 ... 569 570 [571] 572 573 ... 729