Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 573 574 [575] 576 577 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2095925 times)

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #8610 on: July 02, 2014, 08:14:36 pm »

Maybe you could buy a spare and leave it in the kitchen ready?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

MrsStick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8611 on: July 03, 2014, 05:41:21 am »

I just looked at my stills and saw tons of finished goods on them. So I check, and they're tattered clothes. Apparently dwarven rum makes my dwarves' clothes fall off...

*facepalm*
My hubby got me into DF...then abandoned his for MineCraft.
Husband has been possessed!
I'm sorry your husband had a strange mood and ended up making a useless trinket out of useless materials without gaining any experience in the process.

StumpytheOzzie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8612 on: July 05, 2014, 05:42:35 am »

I tried one of those "min/max" builds so I wouldn't waste 44 embark points on a copper pick and I'll take the cassiterite and copper nuggets instead.

Forget to bring anything fireproof, so I can't make a wood burner.

Try again... forget the anvil.

Try again and pack a million units of metal ores but forget booze.

4th time seems lucky so far.
Jesus doesn't embark in terrifying biomes, and these forums certainly count.

jcochran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8613 on: July 05, 2014, 09:22:48 am »

I tried one of those "min/max" builds so I wouldn't waste 44 embark points on a copper pick and I'll take the cassiterite and copper nuggets instead.

Forget to bring anything fireproof, so I can't make a wood burner.

Try again... forget the anvil.

Try again and pack a million units of metal ores but forget booze.

4th time seems lucky so far.

Time to add another face palm. You can start off with a single ore and an anvil.
1. Deconstruct the wagon to get 3 logs.
2. Build a wood furnace using the ore.
3. Burn the wood to make 2 charcoal, and 1 ash.
4. Use the ash to make a smelter.
5. Deconstruct the wood furnace to get the ore back.
6. Smelt the ore.
7. Deconstruct the smelter.
8. Build a forge using the ash bar and anvil.
9. Use the forge to create an axe (you could instead create a pick, but you'll want the axe to get more wood to convert to charcoal)
10. Chop some wood.
Deconstruct the forge, build another wood furnace using the ash, convert a few logs to charcoal, deconstruct the wood furnace, build another forge, make a pick, continue on until you're a mountain home.....

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8614 on: July 05, 2014, 12:04:40 pm »

You'll need to release the ore for general-purpose use first. Go into the Stones menu, and set the appropriate ore stone to green. Change it back to red as soon as you order the building.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

StumpytheOzzie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8615 on: July 05, 2014, 07:25:20 pm »

Time to add another face palm. You can start off with a single ore and an anvil.
1. Deconstruct the wagon to get 3 logs.
2. Build a wood furnace using the ore.
3. Burn the wood to make 2 charcoal, and 1 ash.
4. Use the ash to make a smelter.
5. Deconstruct the wood furnace to get the ore back.
6. Smelt the ore.
7. Deconstruct the smelter.
8. Build a forge using the ash bar and anvil.
9. Use the forge to create an axe (you could instead create a pick, but you'll want the axe to get more wood to convert to charcoal)
10. Chop some wood.
Deconstruct the forge, build another wood furnace using the ash, convert a few logs to charcoal, deconstruct the wood furnace, build another forge, make a pick, continue on until you're a mountain home.....

1. Yep, I knew that.
2. Couldn't do that because I didn't know how to use cassiterite ore to build a wood furnace, or if cassiterite and copper nuggets would even be acceptable.
3+ Irrelevant because of 2, but I knew all that too.

So it's not really "facepalm" in my opinion, more like learning:

You'll need to release the ore for general-purpose use first. Go into the Stones menu, and set the appropriate ore stone to green. Change it back to red as soon as you order the building.

See, now if I do this again... NOW it's a facepalm moment to not use cassiterite to build a wood burner.

The facepalm is for obvious dumb shit like forgetting an anvil. Or forgetting booze. (and seeds and barrels. I know it's doable, but not by me... not yet)
« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 07:27:31 pm by StumpytheOzzie »
Jesus doesn't embark in terrifying biomes, and these forums certainly count.

@

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8616 on: July 05, 2014, 07:43:19 pm »

Used to dig the aquifer out for fish.. And then my whole fortress was filled with water..

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8617 on: July 05, 2014, 07:59:49 pm »

Oh no, my mayor was instantly killed. :(

By what? How? Really, the way you put it now, Its like saying "oh, no, it rains!"

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #8618 on: July 06, 2014, 03:03:53 pm »

There aren't a lot of ways to instantly kill someone.

The only ways that I can think of are decapitation, bisection, freezing, obsidianizing, cave ins, atomsmashing, headshots that damage the brain and VERY specific syndromes.

out of the eight, two are extremely rare (freezing, obsidianizing), two are easily controllable (cave-ins and atomsmashing), leaving only the four which could happen in combat.

the most likely out of the four is probably a headshot. decapitiation and bisection don't happen that often and if an instant death evil cloud/forgotten beast showed up, it's probably too !!FUN!! not to mention.

my guess is that a random asshole dwarf punched the mayor in the face and the punch killed him instantly.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

Walrusking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8619 on: July 06, 2014, 06:22:27 pm »

Hmm:
- A hunter becoming "attached" to his crossbow (considering a dwarf was in the hospital, it may have been attatched to a broken leg)

- Forgetting to set up a military before a siege.

- Having dwarves eat all the plump helmets so quickly that there was no way to make alcohol.

- A goblin breaking the bones of THREE dwarves with metal armor before dying.

- The "incredible" medical staff forgetting that injured dwarves drink and finding them dead from dehydration.

TheHossofMoss

• Bay Watcher
  • "Man muss Heu machen, solange die Sonne scheint."
    • View Profile
« Reply #8620 on: July 07, 2014, 12:10:46 am »

Hmm:
- A hunter becoming "attached" to his crossbow (considering a dwarf was in the hospital, it may have been attatched to a broken leg)

- Forgetting to set up a military before a siege.

- Having dwarves eat all the plump helmets so quickly that there was no way to make alcohol.

- A goblin breaking the bones of THREE dwarves with metal armor before dying.

- The "incredible" medical staff forgetting that injured dwarves drink and finding them dead from dehydration.

I know that feel. ;_;
On the Fifth Day of Axemas, my love saved the fort from...
Five sieging Werebeasts, four Giant Dingoes, three sneaky Thieves, two drunken Black bears, and a Titan killing spree!

WalkerRiley

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8621 on: July 07, 2014, 01:02:10 am »

A weregopher, bronze colossus, and a UFB all attacked my site within minutes of each other.  My dwarves fought the good fight, and their families were drafted when they fell, until I had but 10 dwarves remaining and a severely dented colossus deciding if it wanted to burst through the only door between it and the rest.  It did.  And that human caravan?  Never stood a chance.

imlovinit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8622 on: July 07, 2014, 08:28:47 pm »

Toady misspelling the release date for the new version. But despite that he remains a god among men.
I mean you can today reasonably expect a dwarf not to put themselves on the wrong side of a flood-gate, or run through fire. That's progress.

reality.auditor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8623 on: July 08, 2014, 05:00:08 am »

Toady misspelling the release date for the new version. But despite that he remains a god among men.
Copy&paste - bane of programmers everywhere.
Are weapons like the least lethal thing in DF?

Romesaria

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8624 on: July 08, 2014, 03:23:49 pm »

I did this one yesterday afternoon.

I started a new fortress in a ruined world gen of mine.  I start by digging down a few z-levels and accidentally hitting a cavern.

In an interest to not deal with the cavern nasties just yet, I channeled out the stairs leading down and built a floor over it.

It was a set of up-down stairs, and I didn't realize what I had done until I killed on my miners on the embark.

I hope my next migrant wave has at least one miner in it, to rescue all the dead bodies... :o

P.S. my only carpenter just fell off a construction I was trying to build and offed himself.  I don't even.

And now, that fort has fallen.  It was looking up for a while, but a tantrum spiral started... some child went beserk, so one of my military dwarves offed him, that caused his mother to go beserk...

I pretty much abandoned the fortress once I was down to 1 Dwarf and 5 children.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 05:02:58 pm by Romesaria »
Pages: 1 ... 573 574 [575] 576 577 ... 729