Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 574 575 [576] 577 578 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2095496 times)

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
  • Content lion is content
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #8625 on: July 09, 2014, 06:28:08 pm »

First goblin siege of the new version, my waterfall fortress was fully prepared. A force of eight untrained goblin kidnapees versus a force of five well-armed dwarves (three of which were well trained) who had the advantage of defending. My militia commander ran up to the invading hammerdorf and caved his skull in after dodging an attack. The goblin force was routed immediately, but continued to be slaughtered by the three well-trained militia dwarves. Without sustaining more than a minor injury (which was only worth mentioning because it exacerbated a training wound) the militia dwarves triumphantly marched back in to regroup with their rookie comrades and their loved ones and families... only to come back to an empty town.

It turns out that the townsfolk were so sure that the goblins would be triumphant that they threw themselves off the cliffs and into the churning waters below. The two rookies followed suit, perhaps when their comrade sustained the slight wound, or perhaps at the mere sight of the outnumbering force. Needless to say, Momuz is more than a little peeved that he has to take up civilian duties as a reward for his rousing defeat of the goblins, but those slabs won't carve themselves.
Quote from: EvilTim
"You shouldn't anthropomorphize vehicles. They hate it"

MrsStick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8626 on: July 10, 2014, 03:37:24 am »

I'm trying to finish out my fort in v.0.34 before I try the new game. I just replaced my dead broker with a new one whose right upper leg is missing. His lower leg is somehow still attached though...
My hubby got me into DF...then abandoned his for MineCraft.
Husband has been possessed!
I'm sorry your husband had a strange mood and ended up making a useless trinket out of useless materials without gaining any experience in the process.

Zarathustra30

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8627 on: July 10, 2014, 03:11:27 pm »

Just about shat myself when huge clouds the color of blood started appearing all across my map. They were leaves falling in autumn.
How did we pass from inns with merry songs and happy music to temples of doom and medieval torture with so much easiness and eagerness??

ArmokGoB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8628 on: July 10, 2014, 06:03:22 pm »

Just about shat myself when huge clouds the color of blood started appearing all across my map. They were leaves falling in autumn.

The seasons are conspiring against you.
Cyclopes, prepare to meet your demise at the metaphorical hands of my cushion ruby cabochons.

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #8629 on: July 10, 2014, 09:22:24 pm »

The seasons are conspiring against you.

it was bound to happen.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8630 on: July 11, 2014, 12:35:58 am »

Same happened to me, except with persimmons. It was terrifying. It was inevitable.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #8631 on: July 11, 2014, 12:11:10 pm »

Forgot that slabs require engraving and spent hours wondering why the hell no one would slab the damn miner.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #8632 on: July 11, 2014, 12:35:57 pm »

First goblin siege of the new version, my waterfall fortress was fully prepared. A force of eight untrained goblin kidnapees versus a force of five well-armed dwarves (three of which were well trained) who had the advantage of defending. My militia commander ran up to the invading hammerdorf and caved his skull in after dodging an attack. The goblin force was routed immediately, but continued to be slaughtered by the three well-trained militia dwarves. Without sustaining more than a minor injury (which was only worth mentioning because it exacerbated a training wound) the militia dwarves triumphantly marched back in to regroup with their rookie comrades and their loved ones and families... only to come back to an empty town.

It turns out that the townsfolk were so sure that the goblins would be triumphant that they threw themselves off the cliffs and into the churning waters below. The two rookies followed suit, perhaps when their comrade sustained the slight wound, or perhaps at the mere sight of the outnumbering force. Needless to say, Momuz is more than a little peeved that he has to take up civilian duties as a reward for his rousing defeat of the goblins, but those slabs won't carve themselves.

So the dwarves got so terrified they jumped off the cliffs? Amazing. This update is amazing.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8633 on: July 11, 2014, 03:05:24 pm »

The wagon broke down on the top of the mountain. So I made a stockpile for everything at the base. Started doing stuff, including forging armor for the soon to be milita. Then it dawned on me, that "everything" includes refuse.
Now I have some XXbismuth bronze greavesXX. Basically 3 whole seta of armor wasted.
Oh well, the magmaforges are online and I will be melting the stuff.

FaultyLogic

• Bay Watcher
  • [EDIBLE_RAW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8634 on: July 11, 2014, 09:58:34 pm »

Started a new fort, with focus on quickly preparing for the inevitable. So I built a small wooden surface fort around the entrance to the real fort below. I kept some workshops and stockpiles in the yard, as well as a pasture while things got sorted out underneath.

In the first winter a band of goblins and humans attacked. I felt well prepared, I ordered the drawbridge to be raised and the marksdwarves to man the battlements. They did as they were told, very briefly, because as soon as they reached their position they climbed on top of the fortification and fell down over on the other side, quickly forming a neat pile of unconscious recruits in front of the
gate. Needless to say, the invaders were horrified and turned and ran.

Later in the following spring a were-ant eater arrived. We raised the drawbridge once more, only to realize we had left one poor soul outside who was fetching water from the river (our cistern was not yet finished). The were-beast quickly pounced upon him and tore him to pieces in an instant. Then it transformed into a friendly, female human who proceeded to climb our walls to hang from the outside of the battlements. Just hanging there until I finally ordered her to be shot, and she just dropped down and ran off.
"It's unpossible!"

Moltar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8635 on: July 13, 2014, 06:03:32 pm »

Just embarked on a nice magma tube situated just next to a nice waterfall. The waterfall drops about 10z levels and the magma tube starts there too. Started to dig out a fortress on the surface, and within a couple of minutes my mason and planter decided to fight each other (I think). They repeatedly threw each other into the surrounding trees. The planter broke both of her arms and is now completely useless, and the mason shambled around near the waterfall and magma tube. He, of course, fell off the cliff overlooking the magma tube and discovered a vast underground lake of magma 100+z levels below.
After that, my woodcutter got bored after killing a cougar, and thought it might be a good idea to drown himself. My nearby fisherman was overwhelmed with horror and was bit apart by a snapping turtle.

What the hell is wrong with these people?

Kishmond

• Bay Watcher
  • What the pfargtl?
    • View Profile
    • My DF Stories blog.
« Reply #8636 on: July 14, 2014, 02:19:31 am »

Spent a while grinding throwing from dabbling to legendary, than traveled to a town.
Crash.

Sigh.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8637 on: July 14, 2014, 02:45:13 pm »

Had some dwarves chop down a couple of willow trees, then saw the amount of wood that produced.
Black lives matter.

HawaiianJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Hawaiian Shirts are amazing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8638 on: July 14, 2014, 05:02:34 pm »

I started up Dwarf Mode, got to siege time and forgot the crucial fact of the update...
One layer walls can be climbed...

oh and all my dwarves hadn't been trained in any militant force... because I forgot all about the training factor as I was more amazed with cutting down ALL THE TREES.
Flaming Baby Catapult

Wumpi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8639 on: July 15, 2014, 01:48:44 am »

I started up Dwarf Mode, got to siege time and forgot the crucial fact of the update...
One layer walls can be climbed...

oh and all my dwarves hadn't been trained in any militant force... because I forgot all about the training factor as I was more amazed with cutting down ALL THE TREES.
Save the trees! The minotaur that had my people cowering in fear behind their walls slipped out of one while goofing around, and broke a leg. This occurrence was obviously the point where my dozen-and-a-half unarmed military dwarfs swarmed out and kicked him to death.
Pages: 1 ... 574 575 [576] 577 578 ... 729