Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 595 596 [597] 598 599 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2115058 times)

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #8940 on: October 25, 2014, 03:39:54 pm »

Wonder, speaking of nestboxes, if The Toad has plans to let wild birds use tree twig tiles/pebble tiles as wild next boxes.

wild next boxes

wild next boxes

wild next boxes

you mean ... nests?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8941 on: October 25, 2014, 03:41:01 pm »

Wonder, speaking of nestboxes, if The Toad has plans to let wild birds use tree twig tiles/pebble tiles as wild next boxes.

wild next boxes

wild next boxes

wild next boxes

you mean ... nests?
I believe the proper term for them is 'grown nest box' :P
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8942 on: October 25, 2014, 10:34:16 pm »

The end of the second year of Hallbeards, and not a single migrant has arrived. No message, just nothing. The first year I thought "Maybe they just didn't come in autumn because I arrived in early autumn, and they don't arrive in the winter, do they?" By spring, I was expecting an extra large migrant wave due to the wealth the starting seven had generated, but still nobody came. Summer came and went as well, and only the human caravan came to Hallbeards. By autumn, I was starting to worry. On a whim, I looked at d_init, and saw that...

I hadn't set my population cap back up from 4, from my last fort. In that time, the carpenter and mason had built a small town between them, and the miner had excavated an entire magnetite cluster, most of which was turned into gear for the two soldiers I took along, and the squads they will be in command of. I set the cap back up after smashing my desk with my forehead, and Hallbeards is looking forward to lots and lots of migrants, come spring.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Kuikka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8943 on: October 26, 2014, 08:24:31 am »

Reclaiming Rivertrapped, human town. Day one, dangerous water animals. Sea lamprey dragged my armoured axeman from a bridge into depths. It also harassed carps and pikes and otters like a boss, until my liaison Innu (the grandson of current Empress) came, jumped into the moat and killed the beast... and then he went to conduct a meeting like nothing special happened.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8944 on: October 27, 2014, 09:56:40 am »

I dropped a "bridge" (few floor tiles) into cavern lake instead of deconstructing them one by one - forgetting that I was already preparing drainage right below - now I have a flooded underground construction site.

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8945 on: October 27, 2014, 10:59:21 am »

Play the game for several years, just now realize that starting with 7 dwarves is a Snow White reference.

*Facepalm*

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #8946 on: October 27, 2014, 03:14:25 pm »

Play the game for several years, just now realize that starting with 7 dwarves is a Snow White reference.

*Facepalm*
If it is, I'm standing there facepalming too.

Ancalagon_TB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8947 on: October 27, 2014, 08:43:49 pm »

I realized the Snow White reference last week and thought it was hilarious - and yeah, was groaning a bit for not getting it right away.

Mine:  I pierced the first and second layer of the cavern at almost the same time.  I walled in the tunnel leading to the stairwell going to the second level - one level is enough mkay?

... several months later, I get a warning that one of my dwarves is throwing a tantrum.  Why?  My fort is well stocked and comfortable, but he's apparently eating vermin, sleeping in the mud etc... Turns out he walled himself out, and then had to go down to the second cavern level to survive.  Somehow made it for a long time too, no monsters etc got him.  When we freed the mason, he rand upstairs, started dozens of fist fights, smashed things for a while and... well now he's over it it seems.  Next time I'll build a floor instead of a wall!
hamster cheese supplies are low

the1337doofus

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8948 on: October 27, 2014, 10:06:25 pm »

I decided to embark on an ocean, and, of course, an aquifer. I spent at least 200 points on screw pump components.

Then I found out that apparently there was no aquifer. So when I could have packed extra food/picks/etc, I wasted it on unnecessary stuff.

*facepalm*
*facepalm*
*facepalm*
the1337doofus has been struck down.
Quote from: /k/
Multiple babies means that the force is distributed per baby, so less force total per baby.
burning dwarves is a sign of productivity

Eisenritter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8949 on: October 28, 2014, 12:14:09 am »

*Facepalm*

You mean it's not The Lord of the Rings:(

Ancalagon_TB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8950 on: October 28, 2014, 12:32:35 am »

*Facepalm*

That would be 13 dwarves wouldn't it be?  Bilbo made it 14, so not unlucky
hamster cheese supplies are low

warwizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8951 on: October 28, 2014, 08:01:01 am »

Oh Dear I'm afraid I'm going to get to see what passes for a tantrum in 40.14 shortly:
'22' Etostetur, Dwarven Baby Deceased  crushed by a falling marble boulder.
Momma was patched up and grabbed her other 4 babies and continued working...
we are trying to pierce an aquifer and went to install a wall in flowing water, momma has carpentry labor enabled and shortly:
'19' Konostirist, Dwarven Baby Deceased  Drowned
'18' Idashustuth, Dwarven Baby Deceased  Drowned
'17' Uristimush, Dwarven Baby Deceased  Drowned

Momma is afraid from trauma, has three horrifieds from watching her babies drown and is drowing herself, so we may not see the tantrum from her...
her 5th baby is in 7/7 water the next tile over, so we have another horrified coming shortly.
The expedition leader is also there with the baby, so we may be seeing a bit of a problem soon, though not from daddy quite yet 12 blue words , 6 green ones and one red one from 19's death, so 4 more dead babies and possibly a dead spouse may take him from happy to miserable in short order.

The moral of the story turn off the masonry/carpentry skills on the momma carrying babies before asking dwarves to build walls in rushing water.

The name of the fort: Submergedbolts

« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 08:03:30 am by warwizard »

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #8952 on: October 28, 2014, 10:44:00 am »

Just unleashed my dragonfire trap on a goblin siege.  Which had the unfortunate side effect of melting my 3 supposedly dragonfire-proof dolomite bridge controlling the trap.  Im guessing the reason here is that continuous dragonfire is just too much for any sort of material :/

Luckily my 4th bridge is okay though, because it's the only thing between the dragon and a fort full of drunken dwarves atm.

morlicar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8953 on: October 28, 2014, 12:11:19 pm »

*Facepalm*

That would be 13 dwarves wouldn't it be?  Bilbo made it 14, so not unlucky

LOTR: there were 7 dwarf kings decended from the 7 Fathers that Aule created and Eru adopted.  It come into play in the Sauron's final spell over the One Ring
3 rings for the elven kings under the sky
7 for the dwarf lords in their halls of stone
9 for the mortal men doomed to die
1 for the dark lord on his dark throne
in the land of Mordor where the shadows lie
One ring to rule them all
One ring to find them
One ring to bring them all
and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor where the shadows lie.

(Poem by memory, so could have some details off)

The Bard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8954 on: October 28, 2014, 04:33:29 pm »

40.14 tantrum: it was inevitable.

Legendary Weaver went nuts, smashed her loom, then ran to the other side of the fort to punch a random woodworker in the guy 'til she threw up.

Said weaver is from an entire family of jerks who all miss this one nephew they left behind and NOTHING seems to cancel missing him out. This one alone has a screen full of blissful thoughts and she still went ballistic over her stupid jerk nephew. If I ever get him in a migrant wave, I'm going to burrow him on a platform above out caldera, surrounded by cage traps for Magma crab capture duty.
Pages: 1 ... 595 596 [597] 598 599 ... 729