Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 596 597 [598] 599 600 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2095507 times)

Chimerat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #8955 on: October 28, 2014, 05:08:50 pm »

If I ever get him in a migrant wave, I'm going to burrow him on a platform above out caldera, surrounded by cage traps for Magma crab capture duty.
Well... It's nice he has job security! :P

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8956 on: October 28, 2014, 09:14:36 pm »

40.14 tantrum: it was inevitable.

Legendary Weaver went nuts, smashed her loom, then ran to the other side of the fort to punch a random woodworker in the guy 'til she threw up.

Said weaver is from an entire family of jerks who all miss this one nephew they left behind and NOTHING seems to cancel missing him out. This one alone has a screen full of blissful thoughts and she still went ballistic over her stupid jerk nephew. If I ever get him in a migrant wave, I'm going to burrow him on a platform above out caldera, surrounded by cage traps for Magma crab capture duty.

I wonder if it is possible to have that nephew in next migrant wave, by chance.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

The Bard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8957 on: October 28, 2014, 10:34:00 pm »

He wasn't in the next wave BUT MORE OF HIS FAMILY WAS! >_<

Zarathustra30

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8958 on: October 28, 2014, 11:04:07 pm »

I embarked on top of a congregation of alligators. Six of my dwarves (somehow) immediately jumped into action kicking the thing into submission. Including the miner with the big pointy pick. My dwarves have now passed out because the stupid miner can't perform a simple lobotomy.
How did we pass from inns with merry songs and happy music to temples of doom and medieval torture with so much easiness and eagerness??

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8959 on: October 28, 2014, 11:06:33 pm »

Was using a bunch of dogs as bait for a cave in trap, in cages hooked up to a lever, with them near a support for the cave in. Pull the lever, AAAAAAAND, it's the same lever for the cave in trap's support. Mérde.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

gunpowdertea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8960 on: October 29, 2014, 01:47:08 am »

Play the game for several years, just now realize that starting with 7 dwarves is a Snow White reference.

*Facepalm*

You mean it's not The Lord of the Rings:(

That would be 13 dwarves wouldn't it be?  Bilbo made it 14, so not unlucky

LOTR: there were 7 dwarf kings decended from the 7 Fathers that Aule created and Eru adopted.  It come into play in the Sauron's final spell over the One Ring
[...]

[ nitpick ]
The 7 dwarves would be more of a Silmarillion reference actually. However, having seven of something is quite "natural", in many fairy tales we encouter the seven. Seven sisters / ravens / dead flies / dwarves / ...
The 13 dorfs would be in "The Hobbit", which is not LOTR, but related.
[/ nitpick ]

I opened my gates to a zombie siege, 'cause I was bored and had screwed up food supplies, so most dorfs were "hunting for vermin". I actually managed to secure one (who was not hungry nor miserable at that moment) in a cave where he collected some plans and started farming again. The zombies depart after slaughtering all others. Migrants arrive and I let them in. Then a forgotten beast comes and eats all of them. Admittedly, that is normal DF...
Actual Facepalm: I had the migrant group securely outside (well, unitl the next zombie siege), where they were farming and even started digging a new fort.

I might try and reclaim - or just get the newest version and gen a new world...
I don't care. I have discovered that if you spawn elves this way, cats will chase them down and eat them.

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
  • Dosen't really care about anything anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8961 on: October 29, 2014, 03:37:33 pm »

Mandatory XKCD Link
http://xkcd.com/1417/
Quote from: Max™ on December 06, 2015, 04:09:21 am
Also, if you ever figure out why poets/bards/dancers just randomly start butchering people/getting butchered, please don't fix it, I love never knowing when a dance party will turn into a slaughter.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8962 on: October 29, 2014, 10:26:52 pm »

Just unleashed my dragonfire trap on a goblin siege.  Which had the unfortunate side effect of melting my 3 supposedly dragonfire-proof dolomite bridge controlling the trap.  Im guessing the reason here is that continuous dragonfire is just too much for any sort of material :/

Luckily my 4th bridge is okay though, because it's the only thing between the dragon and a fort full of drunken dwarves atm.
Dolomite is magma-safe, not dragonfire-safe. Any metal is generally dragonfire safe, unless the dragonfire ignites a nearby object which heats the metal sufficiently before burning away. (I.e., don't use tin.)
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #8963 on: October 30, 2014, 09:58:17 pm »

My professional hammer an and his group of two bowmen two axe men and one lasher were all killed by a zombie mountain goat
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8964 on: October 30, 2014, 10:05:45 pm »

Well, a goblin walked through a weapon trap. 6 large serrated disks. Cut off all his toes and fingers except a fifth and third finger. Seriously? It targeted toes!
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #8965 on: October 31, 2014, 05:29:45 am »

Just found out that you can designate digs across multiple z-levels.

*Face. Bloody. Palm*

This reminds me of when I first discovered z-levels in the first place....

Kuikka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8966 on: October 31, 2014, 06:58:07 am »

My site is rich of bituminous coal and gypsum.

Too bad that I play humans, who, apparently, dont know how to use these two materials!

Too bad because that's all my site has. It said it has close-to-surface-metals, but I only find gypsum and bituminous coal.

I dont have too many metal items and my soldiers have to fight soviet recruit style, one has a weapon and another waits that he dies... And my best equipped warrior with mail armour and metal helmet went into prison (she killed four guys while tantruming) and then berserked, meaning I can't get his stuff back without her killing rest of my wannabe-soldiers. Psst, is there a way to get her gear without releasing & killing her?
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 06:59:44 am by Kuikka »

warwizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8967 on: October 31, 2014, 10:10:52 am »

If she is in a cage just mark the cage and it's contents to be dumped d-b-d click on the cage or draw a box around it. Then go to the look command (k) show the cage and remove the dump from the cage. Your Humans will come and strip her nekkid, and have a great time doing it. She then can be released, if you are lucky she will not brain punch everybody before somebody with a weapon manages to kill her. Pitting her in a smothed natural wall pit, on on a 10z drop works fine as well.

Thomasasia

• Bay Watcher
  • Human Vampromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8968 on: October 31, 2014, 01:35:33 pm »

Before i had figured out how to make an execution drop shaft, i tried to drop 20+ goblins down a 7-ish z shaft. The first few were taken out by the traps. The rest scared my peasents and mauled a now orphaned kitten, until my malita finaly killed them. With lots of causualties of course.
"That way leads to the surface. We don't go to the surface."

G3Kappa

• Bay Watcher
  • You lick the Badger Boar tongue.
    • View Profile
    • Fieropa
« Reply #8969 on: November 01, 2014, 08:03:25 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

... And this is me forgetting that drawbridges, unlike floodgates, are lowered upon being built. All while a Weremonitor decides to attack my new fort as soon as the first caravan leaves.
Pages: 1 ... 596 597 [598] 599 600 ... 729