Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 597 598 [599] 600 601 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2096043 times)

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #8970 on: November 01, 2014, 09:39:04 am »

My site is rich of bituminous coal and gypsum.

Too bad that I play humans, who, apparently, dont know how to use these two materials!

Too bad because that's all my site has. It said it has close-to-surface-metals, but I only find gypsum and bituminous coal.

I dont have too many metal items and my soldiers have to fight soviet recruit style, one has a weapon and another waits that he dies... And my best equipped warrior with mail armour and metal helmet went into prison (she killed four guys while tantruming) and then berserked, meaning I can't get his stuff back without her killing rest of my wannabe-soldiers. Psst, is there a way to get her gear without releasing & killing her?
Use charcoal instead of coal and splints instead of gypsum. Splints are easier to get than casts anyway :P

(btw, I noticed how the post count in this thread is approaching 9000. XD )
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #8971 on: November 01, 2014, 11:16:05 am »

My site is rich of bituminous coal and gypsum.

Too bad that I play humans, who, apparently, dont know how to use these two materials!

Too bad because that's all my site has. It said it has close-to-surface-metals, but I only find gypsum and bituminous coal.

I dont have too many metal items and my soldiers have to fight soviet recruit style, one has a weapon and another waits that he dies... And my best equipped warrior with mail armour and metal helmet went into prison (she killed four guys while tantruming) and then berserked, meaning I can't get his stuff back without her killing rest of my wannabe-soldiers. Psst, is there a way to get her gear without releasing & killing her?
Use charcoal instead of coal and splints instead of gypsum. Splints are easier to get than casts anyway :P

(btw, I noticed how the post count in this thread is approaching 9000. XD )
That doesn't sound like incredibly helpful advice for a guy that has both of the resources, I've never played as humans so I don't know what the limitations are, but if you want to find metals, you could always mine out the entire z layer until you find the ore... or at least dig corridors going to the map edges to see if you strike anything...

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #8972 on: November 01, 2014, 11:37:11 am »

Was watching Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring and couldn't stop thinking that the mines of Moria were a dwarf fortress from Dwarf Fortress.
Small hard to get into entrance, forgotten beast, Titan, magma, they dug too deep and hit the !!FUN!! Layer, and of course- dwarves
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #8973 on: November 01, 2014, 04:47:15 pm »

Just realized my outdoor troglodyte mincing trap was leaving body parts in the trees around it... now renaming the area "bone orchard" for the lulz

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8974 on: November 01, 2014, 04:49:04 pm »

I love to carve fortifications into a pathway and let all the passersby gaze at the glory that is the boneway.  Once it gets into the fortification, it isnt coming out.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8975 on: November 01, 2014, 10:23:16 pm »

We finally passed the 9th set of one thousand facepalms. The next one with bring us to...

...wait for it...

OVER NINE THOUSAND!

As for a facepalm, I forgot a roof in an evil biome with clouds. There is now a zombie ox with at least 14 and possibly up to 22 kills from two reclaim attempts living in my fortress.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

G3Kappa

• Bay Watcher
  • You lick the Badger Boar tongue.
    • View Profile
    • Fieropa
« Reply #8976 on: November 02, 2014, 06:30:59 am »

9001 GET!  :D

I will now proceed to segregate my best engravers to forever commemorate this moment in the history of BayTwelve.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 06:33:52 am by G3Kappa »

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8977 on: November 02, 2014, 12:41:03 pm »

:o

---

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

My worlds may be too fierce for either goblins or their demon masters :|
There were 5.  three are dead, one is in human prison, and one more is still in control of his civ.  The year is only 160
« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 12:52:51 pm by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Col_Jessep

• Bay Watcher
  • ♦ Cat Herder
    • View Profile
« Reply #8978 on: November 03, 2014, 09:47:33 am »

Part of my trading routine is to sell the keas that came to steal my stuff to the next caravan. Went great for a decade. I set up an animal stockpile and used DFhack's autotrade to haul them to the depot. Undead and gobbos are filtered to avoid mishaps.

Then I put down a couple of cage traps in cavern layer 3 and forgot about my automated setup. 2 Blind cave ogres on the loose in my main staircase! *facedesk*

Thankfully my glassmaker was close by and had a bronze pick, an iron helm, some leather armor and enough discipline to stand and fight while my military was on it's way. A few cuts and bruises but nothing serious. Sticking everybody into the militia with basic armor and a pick had really payed off so far! It's a pain to set up but it but the best thing is that only 20 dwarfs require new clothes which really helps with the clutter. Over a decade and I'm still getting 40-50FPS. =D
Just kids...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Glimmer

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8979 on: November 04, 2014, 12:04:42 pm »

Probably nothing too special, but for someone who knows how to sustain a fortress, but has no idea how to defend one outside raising a bridge and leaving every dwarf left outside to his fate, i thought that building a long, twisted hallway full of cage traps would be enough to fend off a goblin siege.

Needless to say it turned into a meatgrinder for my poor dwarves and the goblins had a giggle shooting them while they probably either tried to load the remaining traps of collect that one goblin who got catched and probably also blocked the way for the other goblins to move up.
Sanity is severely overrated.

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8980 on: November 04, 2014, 03:00:13 pm »

Things I found out today:
- Lava goes 'splash' when you drop stuff into it.
- Lava aqueducts should be built out of walls, not floors.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 03:30:59 pm by ptb_ptb »
()==[:::::::::::::>

Zarathustra30

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8981 on: November 05, 2014, 12:09:52 am »

I didn't realize that you had to provide CHARITY to get a noble appointed.

And then I got the king.
How did we pass from inns with merry songs and happy music to temples of doom and medieval torture with so much easiness and eagerness??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8982 on: November 05, 2014, 05:24:40 am »

I ran into Robin the Goblin Crossbowman and His Merry Men.

What happened was that right after I've hit "e" to embark, a fight begins. This wasn't a reclaim, just a standard embark. There was goblin crossbowman, a hammerdwarf and a human swordsman that were apparently co-operating in a very deadly way, and proceeded to promptly slaughter five out of my starting seven. I guess the two survivors were the ones who were quick enough to outrun the bandits (for a while). After the last two brave dwarven colonists got too exhausted, the jolly crossbowgobling finished them up from distance.

That was the most instantenous !!!FUN!!! I've ever had in DF, but admittedly there was a moment of facepalming after the gory events :)

PS. Has anyone else ran into these bandit groups on embark, or whatever they were?

katwithk

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist likes kats for their calmness and logic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8983 on: November 05, 2014, 12:38:08 pm »

Probably nothing too special, but for someone who knows how to sustain a fortress, but has no idea how to defend one outside raising a bridge and leaving every dwarf left outside to his fate, i thought that building a long, twisted hallway full of cage traps would be enough to fend off a goblin siege.

Needless to say it turned into a meatgrinder for my poor dwarves and the goblins had a giggle shooting them while they probably either tried to load the remaining traps of collect that one goblin who got catched and probably also blocked the way for the other goblins to move up.

Three words

Giant. Saw. Blades.

They're seriously the easiest and most effective anti-goblin trap (used in weapon traps) as long as you have a metal (or glass) industry.

Personally I have an absurdly complicated weight-differential based magma chamber design I usually implement, but I have a fetish for volcanoes, and try to use magma to solve all my problems.
A tall, slender creature fond of coffee and computers.

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8984 on: November 05, 2014, 12:55:32 pm »

Things I found out today:
- Lava goes 'splash' when you drop stuff into it.
- Lava aqueducts should be built out of walls, not floors.

Ahh yes, that first time you have something punch a hole in your lava aquaduct is magical.
Pages: 1 ... 597 598 [599] 600 601 ... 729