Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 618 619 [620] 621 622 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2130861 times)

angelious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #9285 on: May 20, 2015, 07:53:39 am »

Are forgotten beast encounters rare? I run into them quite frequently, but I hear experienced players say they haven't seen any before or have run into their first one frequently on the forums.

That being said, I've never seen a megabeast that wasn't either a forgotten beast or a titan.

AFAIK this depends on the initial number of FBs, the length of history (how many are slain before you start) and whether your caverns are open to the outside. I play with high number of them and short history, so they keep queuing up in front of (or under) my doorstep. Usually they take care of each other. I would totally love it if they would not be hostile towards each other, as it takes me usually quite a while to get my military up and running...

FP: apparently my military has been training with a convolute of weapons... though I told them: get these nice and shiny masterworked steel axes, see them? tyhey are over there.

i have a similiar problem with armor. i got heaps of different types of armor pieces lying around. but apparently socks and wool shirts are better than iron breastplates or greaves...

angelious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9286 on: May 20, 2015, 08:09:16 am »

[/quote]
 Next time try to capture him with a cage traps circling a chained up cat in and area near where he is at Brit far enough away that he won't agro to the builders immediately
[/quote]

sorry for double posting but...

yeah i got another fb...this is only about half an hour gameplay after the last one(so i dont think they are rare)

this one is "miyufa rethiuri vesifa ciriko. a toweing skinless python. it has large mandibles and it has a gaunt appearance. its eyes glow chartreuse(whatever that means) beware its poisonous bite! "

this one spawned wayy too close to my settlement so i didnt have time to set up any of the trappings you suggested. i am going to send in my military and hope for the best...

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9287 on: May 20, 2015, 12:35:25 pm »

They are attracted by fortress wealth.
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

angelious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9288 on: May 20, 2015, 01:20:10 pm »

They are attracted by fortress wealth.

yeah. i did get a major boost in moolah for hitting the adamantium i guess.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9289 on: May 20, 2015, 02:02:29 pm »

its eyes glow chartreuse(whatever that means)
It's a pale neon green.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chartreuse_%28color%29

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9290 on: May 21, 2015, 03:41:18 pm »

yeah. i did get a major boost in moolah for hitting the adamantium i guess.
  That's almost certainly it.
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
  • Dosen't really care about anything anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9291 on: May 21, 2015, 03:57:12 pm »

You can always see a description of a living FB, even when it is gone from (a)nnouncements. Just look in the (u)nits menu and press z or someting (I forget which letter) to veiw the fb's description.
Quote from: Max™ on December 06, 2015, 04:09:21 am
Also, if you ever figure out why poets/bards/dancers just randomly start butchering people/getting butchered, please don't fix it, I love never knowing when a dance party will turn into a slaughter.

angelious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9292 on: May 21, 2015, 04:57:59 pm »

You can always see a description of a living FB, even when it is gone from (a)nnouncements. Just look in the (u)nits menu and press z or someting (I forget which letter) to veiw the fb's description.

not if the announcement is removed...atleast on my version the announcements dissapear after a while

MonsterClub

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Me too drunk to care
    • View Profile
« Reply #9293 on: May 23, 2015, 07:23:02 am »

After 2 year's of playing dwarf fortress i've build my living area IN FUCKING CLAY LAYER and its a pretty big area too.

Midboss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9294 on: May 25, 2015, 09:26:25 am »

So I have been dealing with an undead siege for a while now. I have been having issues with burrow restrictions hindering my dwarves' ability to pick up chopped off parts and dumping them so I decided to try removing burrow restrictions to let them pick up the parts and it was working. I absentmindedly also designated a finger from an elf corpse at the top of my unfinished tower for dumping. The game paused to an announcement that a dwarf was found dead and I had chalked it up to an issue I have been having where a staircase next to a fortification was causing dwarves to somehow end up outside my unfinished tower by what I would imagine would be dodging. I decided to make a slab and found more than just one dwarf had died. I went to check my unfinished tower to see if an undead had climbed up and it turns out my civilians were just terrified to go back down through a room of fortifications due to terror at the sight of seeing undead. So they would instead stand at the top of the tower until they stood too close to the edge, get shot at by an undead with a crossbow, dodge into open space and fall into the undead's waiting teeth and claws.

angelious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9295 on: May 25, 2015, 11:29:12 am »

another fb...this one..like the three before him. is dying off his own dust attack. and he is unable to reach my fort

sv-esk

• Bay Watcher
  • sorry for my bad english
    • View Profile
« Reply #9296 on: June 01, 2015, 11:18:19 pm »

Unhappy dwarf got fell-mood, murdered Defrutum Campusclaustrum, brought his corpse to workshop. The corpse has been reanimated by evil biome right in the middle of artifact crafting process and revenged.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
ps.  i forgot to make slab immediatly. So this dwarf also became a murderous ghost and frighten someone out of existence.
Spoiler:  slab (click to show/hide)
slab  says that she is creator of Hateshame the Fell Thunders. Is it artifact name? There are no artifacts with this name in 'l' list. So artifact considered finished despite reagent "shuddered and begun to move" and killed creator?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 01:50:59 am by sv-esk »

Lordhermitcrab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9297 on: June 01, 2015, 11:46:49 pm »

I went away and forgot how water pressure works.  Digging a well:

...the room filled as fast as you can say 'splorsh'.

That looks a lot like the generated dwarf fortresses you find in Dwarf Fortress Adventure Mode. Were you going for that look or did you somehow embark on a fortress?
THE CONCRETE IS ON FIRE

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #9298 on: June 02, 2015, 07:53:53 am »

Unhappy dwarf got fell-mood, murdered Defrutum Campusclaustrum, brought his corpse to workshop. The corpse has been reanimated by evil biome right in the middle of artifact crafting process and revenged.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
ps.  i forgot to make slab immediatly. So this dwarf also became a murderous ghost and frighten someone out of existence.
Spoiler:  slab (click to show/hide)
slab  says that she is creator of Hateshame the Fell Thunders. Is it artifact name? There are no artifacts with this name in 'l' list. So artifact considered finished despite reagent "shuddered and begun to move" and killed creator?
so s/he was killed by hir/her own artifact? well atleast looking at it, it was just a shoe.
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

Tyyr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9299 on: June 05, 2015, 10:31:20 am »

Getting back into the game with the new version. I decided to do my usual central stair case excavation so I can rebuild it. The idea being it will make all my stair's "sun lit" and ward off cave adaptation. Like an idiot I designate ALL of my stairs to be channeled. Next thing I know my miners are splattering on the floor of the dining hall as one after another they plummet to their deaths.

Then I find out that with the recent changes that wouldn't ward of adaptation anyways anymore.
Pages: 1 ... 618 619 [620] 621 622 ... 729