Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 634 635 [636] 637 638 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2130801 times)

Skribbblie

• Bay Watcher
  • Dlaglunkis slugutalbis!
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #9525 on: December 06, 2015, 05:59:28 am »

I shut the gate on my depot instead of resetting my secondary zombie-squishing drawbridge. A couple minutes before a human caravan arrived.
I'm not really sure that maiming someone and forcing them to live with a crippling disability for your amusement can really be considered "merciful." Just sayin'.
Dwarven mercy.

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrelated to DukePorkins
    • View Profile
« Reply #9526 on: December 06, 2015, 10:24:50 am »

I can make a tavern and hire mercs in DF ?? How ?
... Or is it some kind of joke i dont get ..
New DF version released December 1. There's stuff like taverns or temples you can build in your fortress, and you regularly get non-dwarf visitors, including human warriors who could decide to stay at your fort.
Actually, I'm running a game on DFhack, and i appear to have access to temples. However, i aint doing anything because i don't want to incur the wrath of some angry god
Im a noob so i will wait for the LNP to update ;) But its nice to know that thx.

LNP was released, just no dwarf therapist or DFhack quite yet.
Ïlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

Tygroux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9527 on: December 06, 2015, 05:49:20 pm »

Starting fort fort, first winter.
"Besmar Oddomizeg, Mason, has entered a fey mood!"
Hey, First fey mood. This is nice.
"Besmar Oddomizeg, Mason, has made a microcline table
I would have prefered a door, but still, that's excel-
The WereElk Ducim Salmulsarvesh När Kun as come! Now you will know why you should always forbid the important dwarves to haul wood!

One. Single. Casualty.
Oh armok, why are tho to hurt me like dat?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

LlamaLlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9528 on: December 07, 2015, 03:43:58 pm »

When I read all these two incidents came to mind, the first one was when I built my first bridge, when the dwarf pulled the lever for the first test run my expedition leader decided he would go out to haul wood. Well he was flung into the air and he landed in the moat and got totally utterly butt-mangled, he was still alive though. I didn't see this act of stupidity so the dwarf was down there for long enough to dye of starvation.

The second incident was when I installed an irrigation system. The lever was pulled and the water flooded in from the nearby river. I hadn't put doors on all the rooms yet so the water flooded, by the time the dwarves decided to pull the lever again it was to late the meeting area with all the levers was flooded enough so not one dwarf could get to the lever. It flooded about half my fortress until it met up with some forbidden doors, well at least I thought they were all forbidden. The idiotic soap-maker opened the door to do something and it flooded in and drowned most of the dwarves. Dwarven plumming is not the most efficient.

Trappington

• Bay Watcher
  • Micromanager for Hire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9529 on: December 07, 2015, 05:45:45 pm »

Speaking of fun with water...

I have an underground cistern connected to the river via a channel with a drawbridge so as to seal off the fort when I'm not filling the cistern.  I decided that the water level was getting a little low, so I opened the drawbridge to refill.  I promptly forgot about it and only noticed my mistake when I got notifications of job cancellations because the water had started to flow out of the well above the cistern, flooding the hospital.  I fortunately got the bridge closed before anyone drowned, but I still had quite a scare for a few moments.

Kumquat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9530 on: December 07, 2015, 06:12:12 pm »

Second world gen with 42.xx, embark in a savanna/desert area. Aquifer, so what, where's wood there are screwpumps.

It is 8 layers of aquifer, peat first, sandstone second. That's a new record in my book.

Dig to the first safe layer under the aquifer.

"You have discovered an expansive cavern deep underground." *facepalm*

Looking at the cavern - goblincaps and tunnel tubes? This is the second cavern layer.

Oh what fun this is going to be. At least there's a magma pool. Not sure if there is any metal to be found though or if it is all waterlogged.

Potato9999

• Bay Watcher
  • Highly racist against goblins
    • View Profile
« Reply #9531 on: December 07, 2015, 09:17:45 pm »

I built a N-S facing waterwheel in an E-W flowing river, and then sat there for ten minutes trying to figure out why it wasn't working.

Pseudo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9532 on: December 08, 2015, 10:27:43 am »

I built a N-S facing waterwheel in an E-W flowing river, and then sat there for ten minutes trying to figure out why it wasn't working.
Wait: that makes a difference?
The lady the dog the paper the boy writ hit bit knit.

English is weird.

Romeofalling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Art of Amul
« Reply #9533 on: December 08, 2015, 12:04:11 pm »

Wait: that makes a difference?

It's a water WHEEL. The water has to turn it.

Pseudo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9534 on: December 08, 2015, 05:56:46 pm »

I understand that in real life.

However I thought flow in Dwarf Fortress was binary (i.e. yes this water is flowing / no this water is not.)
The lady the dog the paper the boy writ hit bit knit.

English is weird.

Romeofalling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Art of Amul
« Reply #9535 on: December 08, 2015, 06:09:47 pm »

Dwarf Fortress : It's deeper than you think.

When there are parts of a river or brook that curve, in those spots, water is usually flowing simultaneously NS and EW, I think. But it's been a while since I've put a water wheel in anything but a perpetual motion machine.

Skribbblie

• Bay Watcher
  • Dlaglunkis slugutalbis!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9536 on: December 09, 2015, 04:10:33 am »

Left door open in an evil, reanimating biome for some migrants to get inside. Miner ran up to surface. Got dizzy from cave adaptation. Stumbled slowly towards the wagon from the corner of the map. Started loitering in an inactive meeting zone with a visiting wrestler. STARTED TELLING A STORY.

I wanted to kill him so badly and drag him back inside.

And then the power went out.

Problem solved.
I'm not really sure that maiming someone and forcing them to live with a crippling disability for your amusement can really be considered "merciful." Just sayin'.
Dwarven mercy.

thriggle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9537 on: December 09, 2015, 09:19:18 am »

Stumbled slowly towards the wagon from the corner of the map. Started loitering in an inactive meeting zone with a visiting wrestler. STARTED TELLING A STORY.
I noticed that dwarves hang out in meeting zones regardless of whether they're set to active. Even switching a zone's "meeting hall" designation off didn't kick out the loiterers. I should check and see if there's a bug report for that already.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9538 on: December 09, 2015, 09:44:34 am »

Stumbled slowly towards the wagon from the corner of the map. Started loitering in an inactive meeting zone with a visiting wrestler. STARTED TELLING A STORY.
I noticed that dwarves hang out in meeting zones regardless of whether they're set to active. Even switching a zone's "meeting hall" designation off didn't kick out the loiterers. I should check and see if there's a bug report for that already.
Maybe those particular dwarves are just very traditional?

"We have always met here."
"Not always.  This was the gathering place for about a week while the dining hall was being dug."
"An important time in our fort's history!"
"But now it's a cistern."
"I... like water."
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Nullsrc

• Bay Watcher
  • A Euclidean Plane Crash
    • View Profile
« Reply #9539 on: December 09, 2015, 11:40:22 am »

Had a facepalm moment when I realized that the dwarves were not harvesting plants due to the fact that I had removed any stockpile that accepted those things.

Also, forgot to memorialize a farmer who fell into the volcano, so he came back as a ghost. All he did was hang out at the seed stockpile though, so I got away with negligence (not quite murder, but I'll take it.)
Pages: 1 ... 634 635 [636] 637 638 ... 729