Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 639 640 [641] 642 643 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2126611 times)

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #9600 on: January 19, 2016, 01:00:16 pm »

saw on youtube video that you could embark with training axes instead of copper ones to save points.
Removed copper axes. Never added training axes. Dur.
No need to worry
  • Deconstruct your wagon to get 3 wood.
  • Use one wood for building of carpenter's workshop.
  • Use one wood for crafting of training axe.
  • Enjoy your wood cutting tool and spare wood.
Better yet:
  • Deconstruct your wagon to get 3 wood.
  • Use stone for building of carpenter's workshop.
  • Use one wood for crafting of training axe.
  • Enjoy your wood cutting tool and 2 spare wood.
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

Skribbblie

• Bay Watcher
  • Dlaglunkis slugutalbis!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9601 on: January 19, 2016, 07:41:57 pm »

What did we learn? That it's a bad idea to put someone in the danger room without neck protection, yes? Yes.
I'm not really sure that maiming someone and forcing them to live with a crippling disability for your amusement can really be considered "merciful." Just sayin'.
Dwarven mercy.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #9602 on: January 19, 2016, 08:12:06 pm »

What did we learn? That it's a bad idea to put someone in the danger room without neck protection, yes? Yes.

You best protect ya neck and all that, eh?

Skribbblie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9603 on: January 19, 2016, 09:35:45 pm »

It is legitimately amazing how necessary cloaks are for a soldier.
I'm not really sure that maiming someone and forcing them to live with a crippling disability for your amusement can really be considered "merciful." Just sayin'.
Dwarven mercy.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9604 on: January 19, 2016, 11:57:59 pm »

It is legitimately amazing how necessary cloaks are for a soldier.
Chainmail and leather armor provide neck protection. If you're not using actual armor on your military for some reason, then in addition to cloaks you can use dresses, robes, togas, coats and shirts to provide neck protection. Just putting that out there.

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9605 on: January 20, 2016, 03:41:54 pm »

They must put a lot of starch in the collars of their silk shirts.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #9606 on: January 20, 2016, 06:07:42 pm »

Ah, he never said that the neck protection was any good. Just that it was there.

Skribbblie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9607 on: January 21, 2016, 11:54:26 pm »

Ah, he never said that the neck protection was any good. Just that it was there.
If it's good enough to stop a wooden training spear, it'll do.
Dwarven mercy.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9608 on: January 22, 2016, 02:56:08 pm »

Seriously though, put some real armor on those guys. You can get all body parts armored with or without using metal, and armor is going to do way more than any cloak will.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9609 on: January 22, 2016, 04:06:42 pm »

tiny collapse in cavern as floor was not well secured. The spinner Kol Nakuststhintad has gone missing. Presumed fallen from -48 to -107 (!)  I can't look down widely enough to see where he ended up; if the flal didn't vaporize him.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9610 on: January 22, 2016, 04:41:51 pm »

If he was alive while he fell, he should have radioed back reports as he fell, mapping all the way to the bottom. He might have to have been conscious to do that, I'm not 100% sure. The cave-in might have knocked him out before he went cavediving.

I've used this technique when I've tunnelled into the top of a very deep cavern, so deep I couldn't see the bottom. I just marked the opening as a pit zone and designated a handy kitten as a cave explorer. It sent excellent reports all the way down, and apparently landed on its feet. At least, one leg got blown in each direction when it disassembled at the bottom. Most useful kitten, evah.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Trappington

• Bay Watcher
  • Micromanager for Hire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9611 on: January 22, 2016, 05:35:43 pm »

tiny collapse in cavern as floor was not well secured. The spinner Kol Nakuststhintad has gone missing. Presumed fallen from -48 to -107 (!)  I can't look down widely enough to see where he ended up; if the flal didn't vaporize him.

Reading about this made me remember....

In one of my early fortresses, I was starting to set up a cistern.  I had channeled down the sides and was going to mine out the bottom, setting up a support before the last piece was mined out.  I then promptly forgot to leave a tile un-mined, which killed two or three of my miners.  ::)  In the attempt to recover the bodies and properly inter them, I repeated my mistake, killing off the last of my skilled miners.  >:( 

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9612 on: January 22, 2016, 05:40:46 pm »

I am SURE I have done things similar. Especially in my earliest attempts at well/cistern.

Also Dodokor was NOT prepared for this horde of Goblins, beak dogs and trolls. At almost 50 inhabitants of whom fewer than 20 militia...
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Quasar_42

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9613 on: January 24, 2016, 01:38:44 am »

I had a brilliant plan for building a mighty lake fortress out of the water, then collapsing it into the water.

A year and a half, a few thousand logs, and four drownings later, I have learned that constructions behave exactly how they would in real life, they crumble into a pile of building materials.

I will be draining the lake shortly and taking back what is mine.

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
  • Dosen't really care about anything anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9614 on: January 24, 2016, 05:30:21 am »

I will be draining the lake shortly and taking back what is mine.

Easier to embark on cold/temperate biome then wait for it to freeze.
I've done that on an ocean only embark before: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=149165.0
Quote from: Max™ on December 06, 2015, 04:09:21 am
Also, if you ever figure out why poets/bards/dancers just randomly start butchering people/getting butchered, please don't fix it, I love never knowing when a dance party will turn into a slaughter.
Pages: 1 ... 639 640 [641] 642 643 ... 729