Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 640 641 [642] 643 644 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2130671 times)

Eits

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #9615 on: January 24, 2016, 06:25:42 am »

Once upon a time during a goblin siege, I tried to smash some trolls with my bridge. What I didn't account for was the possibility of bridge being smashed to pieces by trolls' heads instead. And since I didn't have any other defensive measures, my fortress basically became a free candy for those goblins.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9616 on: January 24, 2016, 10:27:50 am »

What happened with the ocean fort?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Quasar_42

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9617 on: January 24, 2016, 12:24:47 pm »

Easier to embark on cold/temperate biome then wait for it to freeze.

Cooperating with nature? What are we, elves?

In all seriousness, I'm pretty sure your plan involved much more thought then "build a big fort and drop it into the lake", and that seems to be where you succeeded and I did not (yet).

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9618 on: January 24, 2016, 12:51:51 pm »

I just embarked in a one-sided valley with a waterfall and filled in the lake.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9619 on: January 25, 2016, 08:39:20 am »

ffs, tiny human/goblin siege. I lose my marksdwarf captain because  apparently LIKES being stabbed and my feshly elected mayor Momuz Kaganid and one of my human crossbowmen falls into the fuckn river. I should have just opened the bridge before my leatherworker who likes to fish got chased by a human recruit. Suddenly losses.

The Dostngosp who stabbed Kel the x-bow mcap died somewhat musically - bonng -thwiiing-crcks

And I got queened.

Edit; my mongoos has been in a cage too long and it wallows in misery  :'(

two days later; my melee militia has 'slight pain' due to FB made of coral 's poisonous gas. I'm afraid it'll get worse.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 01:43:04 pm by FrisianDude »
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

hinric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9620 on: January 27, 2016, 04:04:46 pm »

I'd recently finished my magma-based automatic waste disposal unit. Three minecarts working side by side to bring refuse and unneeded stone up over a magma pipe and dump it in. The 3x1 dumping hole is covered by three 1x1 stone bridges connected to pressure plates to ensure that the chute is closed off when not in use, so as to prevent unwelcome intrusions through the waste chute by surprise visitors.
After a while I notice that the middle bridge is somehow stuck in the open position. This calls for immediate correction, so I order the bridge dismantled and rebuilt. The only dwarf in my fortress who can do this is my legendary mason, being also the only architect. After the final order is given, I focus my attention on a different matter. (For some reason the minecart bringing down iron ore to the magma furnaces keeps dumping it on the final ramp instead of at its destination. Why is that?)
While occupied with this, a report comes in: the magma sea has been discovered! Strange, I don't have any miners working that deep at present... A few ticks later, a new report: "Raw adamantine has beeen discovered! Praise the miners!" I zoom in to find that an adamantine pylon has indeed been discovered in the magma sea.
The facepalm moment occurs a week later when my legendary mason is reported missing and I go to the waste disposal unit to find the middle bridge has only been halfway completed. Two lessons to learn from this:
1: Make sure to shut down the magma-based waste disposal unit before sending in vital personnel to perform maintenance.
2: Magmanauts can be used to discover the location of adamantine pylons.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9621 on: January 28, 2016, 09:14:30 am »

I'd recently finished my magma-based automatic waste disposal unit. Three minecarts working side by side to bring refuse and unneeded stone up over a magma pipe and dump it in. The 3x1 dumping hole is covered by three 1x1 stone bridges connected to pressure plates to ensure that the chute is closed off when not in use, so as to prevent unwelcome intrusions through the waste chute by surprise visitors.
After a while I notice that the middle bridge is somehow stuck in the open position. This calls for immediate correction, so I order the bridge dismantled and rebuilt. The only dwarf in my fortress who can do this is my legendary mason, being also the only architect. After the final order is given, I focus my attention on a different matter. (For some reason the minecart bringing down iron ore to the magma furnaces keeps dumping it on the final ramp instead of at its destination. Why is that?)
While occupied with this, a report comes in: the magma sea has been discovered! Strange, I don't have any miners working that deep at present... A few ticks later, a new report: "Raw adamantine has beeen discovered! Praise the miners!" I zoom in to find that an adamantine pylon has indeed been discovered in the magma sea.
The facepalm moment occurs a week later when my legendary mason is reported missing and I go to the waste disposal unit to find the middle bridge has only been halfway completed. Two lessons to learn from this:
1: Make sure to shut down the magma-based waste disposal unit before sending in vital personnel to perform maintenance.
2: Magmanauts can be used to discover the location of adamantine pylons.

He must have been made of mean stuff to dive that deep without being dead, any idea what he was wearing? It might have slowed down the rate of how he burned (If you want to make more magmanauts for reference)

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
  • Dosen't really care about anything anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9622 on: January 28, 2016, 05:16:03 pm »

No. Dwarves/animals being able to discover magma, candy etc. is a known bug. I  think it works even when they are unconscious. Also, IIRC, creatures survive until they hit SMR, something to do with falling creature physics.
Quote from: Max™ on December 06, 2015, 04:09:21 am
Also, if you ever figure out why poets/bards/dancers just randomly start butchering people/getting butchered, please don't fix it, I love never knowing when a dance party will turn into a slaughter.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9623 on: January 28, 2016, 10:09:01 pm »

He must have been made of mean stuff to dive that deep without being dead, any idea what he was wearing? It might have slowed down the rate of how he burned (If you want to make more magmanauts for reference)
You might actually be able to survive for a short while IRL because of the Leidenfrost effect, assuming you can avoid the convection at the surface. The part I question is if you could even sink in liquid rock if you tried. That and the obvious not being able to see through it.

If you've fallen in magma in adv mode, you'd see that it actually takes quite a while to die even while not falling. The cause of death used to be blood loss before pulping was implemented. I don't know if you die any more quickly now.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 10:12:19 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9624 on: January 29, 2016, 09:27:00 am »

Minkot Vutoktangath, legendary miner, died in a collapse. He's listed as missing. His corpse shows up in the stocks screen (under corpses of course) IN a granite wall. I assume poor bugger got smeared. Whoops.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #9625 on: January 29, 2016, 03:34:41 pm »

whats with the ones about discovering mouse functionality? I NEVER use the mouse
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9626 on: January 29, 2016, 05:58:50 pm »

whats with the ones about discovering mouse functionality? I NEVER use the mouse
It makes it really easy to click the mouse (with say, up/down stairs) and just hold the button to drop all of the z levels, until you hit the bottom.  Then your miners will dig until they hit bottom. Makes a few things like that easier.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9627 on: January 29, 2016, 06:18:12 pm »

It makes it really easy to click the mouse (with say, up/down stairs) and just hold the button to drop all of the z levels, until you hit the bottom.  Then your miners will dig until they hit bottom. Makes a few things like that easier.
Or you could just start designating ([Enter]) at the top, go down to the bottom, then complete the designation area. You can do larger than 1x1 this way.

If you accidentally move with the mouse, you're gonna have a bad time.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 06:20:03 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9628 on: January 30, 2016, 12:01:31 pm »

> Groundbreaking excellent fortress design (for me anyway) on a really good run. Experimenting with animal pen designs and building a pump-house to provide clean water more conveniently diverted away from the local river)

> I have a intense lack of judgement, place a floor foolishly and three of my most vital irreplacable dwarves my exceptional hardened, stonecrafter/mason, my excellent well traveleled carpenter, and the only person in the fort to understand money (subpar pro metalsmith broker) all fall into the water and drown, leaving the rest of the fortress of half useful village idiots with a derelict pumphouse with three corpses floating in it near irredeemable.

Good game, no resistance ill just let it happen

> Retire fortress, word to the wise. Supports save lives.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9629 on: January 30, 2016, 02:09:56 pm »

CHRIST. that makes sieges not amusing. Got siege, I was happy with that. I set my best marksdwarf squad (as in, somewhat decent) on the ramparts. They shoot some trolls (as the trolls advanced fastest) then I notice only the captain and one chap are still at their post. The rest is marching over my first bridge to bring the fight closer. Result is obviously three marksdwarfs (one of whom human) IN THE FUCKING RIVER.  Yeah, no. I'm not gonna call that good game. Imma save scum the shit out of that.

Edit; this time the bridge did get closed. Just before ahuman axeman (visitor) left - a bunch of goblin junk still on it from the last time has been rivered... slightly annoying that nothing actually flows away.

There's quite a few things (and corpses) I'd like to remove from the river but I'm not sure how to.

Edit2; oh poop. I closed the bridge before the gobs arrived. They now spawned on the other side, my side, of the river. Ops.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 02:17:18 pm by FrisianDude »
Pages: 1 ... 640 641 [642] 643 644 ... 729