Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 646 647 [648] 649 650 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2112773 times)

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #9705 on: March 16, 2016, 02:01:50 pm »

I once built a castle with mixed metal bars and color stones.
You monster.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

koduesp

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9706 on: March 17, 2016, 10:54:50 am »

Oh boy. I'll just leave this here.

And a link to the picture.

Also, he was on friendly terms with Edi.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #9707 on: March 17, 2016, 01:58:43 pm »

It says further up that he saw some dwarves die, so I think that skunk was an actual skunk.

Starweaver396

• Bay Watcher
  • Misplaced
    • View Profile
« Reply #9708 on: March 19, 2016, 06:47:21 pm »

Woodcutters... Jungle... Don't mix. I've had 5 injuries and 1 death to falling logs, all across the same two woodcutters.

I know why dwarves prefer the mountains.
...a limbless, headless, bloodless and mutilated dwarf torso that is nevertheless kept alive through benevolent faerie magicks. He is blind, helpless, and in excruciating pain, and yet does not die...
E: I should point out that this is all because of Starweaver giving me inspiration   Aren't you happy with yourself, Starweaver?

Kumquat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9709 on: March 19, 2016, 07:21:23 pm »

I wondered why my dorfs were not hauling "empty" barrels from depot to a dedicated wooden barrel stockpile...

So much frozen blood and ichor. Also a barrel with frozen gremlin sweat.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9710 on: March 19, 2016, 08:42:34 pm »

Woodcutters... Jungle... Don't mix. I've had 5 injuries and 1 death to falling logs, all across the same two woodcutters.

I know why dwarves prefer the mountains.
Try just using one woodcutter and doing a clearcutting at the beginning of the game. Woodcutters are never harmed by the trees that they fell, after all.
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

Starweaver396

• Bay Watcher
  • Misplaced
    • View Profile
« Reply #9711 on: March 19, 2016, 11:51:11 pm »

I have a different experience. The issue being that the logs from one tree get stuck in the next one.

And everyone who isn't cutting trees is climbing them and then dying of dehydration. *sigh*
(Or worse, climbing trees that I've already cut down and floating in midair until they fall asleep and crash to the ground.)
...a limbless, headless, bloodless and mutilated dwarf torso that is nevertheless kept alive through benevolent faerie magicks. He is blind, helpless, and in excruciating pain, and yet does not die...
E: I should point out that this is all because of Starweaver giving me inspiration   Aren't you happy with yourself, Starweaver?

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #9712 on: March 20, 2016, 10:42:55 am »

Amusingly, I've only had one shmuck get stuck in a tree. Who also died because I didn't expect it. Of course it would be a kobold this time. :V
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9713 on: March 23, 2016, 03:56:34 am »

I recently got one.

I settled in a "warm climate" area, savannah and a coast, but was surprised that pools and ocean freeze during winter. Two months or less, but still. I even get snowstorms.

When the zombies came in winter, I locked down the site and prepared a mix of traps and a bolt door. The ocean froze in the meantime, and zombies started walking over it. The ice thawed and one zombie plunged to the bottom (together with tons of ammo the zombies were shooting everywhere). By summer I prepared the traps, opened the bolt door and cleared the zombies. Except that one at the bottom who wasn't attracted to my bait. Face palm moment was when I realised that out of the three ocean levels, only two lowest had the ramps. The zombie couldn't get out! Apparently, it is also impossible for it to climb underwater, but I wasn't considering it, I just "saw" the ramps which weren't there.

It was also a face palm because up until then I was sure that my dwarves, trained swimmers, would have no problems with getting out of water in case a wave swept them in. My entry is on the beach.

EDIT: Maybe if the ramps were there originally, he would get out. Or maybe not. Digging new ramps didn't help. To get rid of siege I have to wait to winter, and hope the besieger will be encased in ice. He doesn't even bother my fisherdwarves. Whole year of trade ruined, damn him.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 02:37:51 pm by Saiko Kila »

Krasimir Othtamun

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9714 on: March 25, 2016, 02:37:54 pm »

My most Face-Palm moment i've had in Dwarf Fortress was a very recent one. I was just designing my fortress down below, when i received a Announcement: "Urist McFisher has been found dead: dehydration". I thought "What the hell? I have a Profficient Brewer producing Drinks on Repeat? How did that happen?"
Turns out... That he died of Thirst because he climbed a tree and couldn't get down.

There is no palm big enough to express my frustration. õ.õ

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #9715 on: March 25, 2016, 02:44:41 pm »

My most Face-Palm moment i've had in Dwarf Fortress was a very recent one. I was just designing my fortress down below, when i received a Announcement: "Urist McFisher has been found dead: dehydration". I thought "What the hell? I have a Profficient Brewer producing Drinks on Repeat? How did that happen?"
Turns out... That he died of Thirst because he climbed a tree and couldn't get down.

There is no palm big enough to express my frustration. õ.õ

I had exactly that moment not long ago, when playing as kobolds. My first woodcutter and shaman, got up in a tree and I never found out until I got the noticed that he'd been missing for a week.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

King Kitteh

• Bay Watcher
  • [SAVAGE][CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9716 on: March 28, 2016, 02:36:32 am »

I like to keep my forts open to the caverns with a line of cage traps set to catch critters that wander too close, (I've caught many a crundle with them).
For safety measures I have a draw bridge set so I can quickly shut off access incase something trapavoid comes.

Well, suddenly I got an announcement, a forgotten beast had arrived. It was a giant feathered fire-breathing crab! My fort wasn't ready for this, so I quickly set the lever to be pulled with "Do it now!".

The crab was quickly closing in, a clothier just barely made it back across the bridge as a miner flicks the switch. We should be safe now, the beast was too far away.

But then... Wait. Why isn't anything happening? The bridge isn't moving! Why didn't it work?! And then I realized.... I forgot to connect the bridge with the lever.

That night the giant crab feasted on roast dwarf... *shakes head in shame*
goodnight, speep tighht, don't let the bedbugs bite

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9717 on: March 28, 2016, 11:58:06 am »

I like to keep my forts open to the caverns with a line of cage traps set to catch critters that wander too close, (I've caught many a crundle with them).
For safety measures I have a draw bridge set so I can quickly shut off access incase something trapavoid comes.

Well, suddenly I got an announcement, a forgotten beast had arrived. It was a giant feathered fire-breathing crab! My fort wasn't ready for this, so I quickly set the lever to be pulled with "Do it now!".

The crab was quickly closing in, a clothier just barely made it back across the bridge as a miner flicks the switch. We should be safe now, the beast was too far away.

But then... Wait. Why isn't anything happening? The bridge isn't moving! Why didn't it work?! And then I realized.... I forgot to connect the bridge with the lever.

And that is why you link the bridge before even breaching the cavern.
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

MobRules

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9718 on: March 29, 2016, 06:06:36 pm »

I had a similar issue once. In my case, I HAD linked the bridge to the lever. But I had left it at the default "retracts" setting, so all pulling the lever did was make the bridge vanish *facepalm*.
Ninja dragons! Protect the masterwork roasts!
Is this biome reanimating? I really don't want to know what happens when "absurd numbers of megabeasts" is combined with "reanimating biomes".

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9719 on: March 30, 2016, 09:53:42 am »

I had a similar issue once. In my case, I HAD linked the bridge to the lever. But I had left it at the default "retracts" setting, so all pulling the lever did was make the bridge vanish *facepalm*.

This why I always queue up a "pull the lever" right after the "link lever to bridge". So I can make sure it does what I want. On very rare occasions I lose a random dwarf who is on the bridge when it raises, but now I never lose an entire for due to a bridge retracting when I wanted it to raise.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.
Pages: 1 ... 646 647 [648] 649 650 ... 729