Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 647 648 [649] 650 651 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2095939 times)

Ezekhiel2517

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #9720 on: March 31, 2016, 09:15:49 am »

after days and days of hard work and micromanagement I finally carved my fortress among magma pools. Then one day I carelessly designate some digging near some magma pools for more room. Went somewhere else to build something. Later I get back to see how think where down there... an entire golden floored z level, with noble dwarf´s rooms, stockpíles and a magnificent militia training center was melted into oblivion, magma furnaces working on the upper z level went completely useless, etc etc. Lots of fun!
“Far, far below the deepest delvings of the dwarves, the world is gnawed by nameless things.” ― J.R.R. Tolkien

slinger342

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9721 on: April 01, 2016, 11:32:37 am »

I'm pretty sure this has happened to everyone at sometime. I decided to try and build my first well and built a storage for the water under it and channeled out a pathway for the water to flow from the river to it. I had a floodgates set up and a switch connected and made sure it worked. When I had the dwarf channel out the last wall and flow began, I just decided to wait until it got kind of full, like 5 or 6. When I decided to shut the floodgate, it didn't close, probably because of the water pressure or something, (not too sure, I'm not a super experienced player) and water began gushing into the dinning hall where I designated everyone to idle. *facepalm*

Only the good swimmers survived.

There were a few.
ParadiddlediddleParadiddlediddleShotBoom

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #9722 on: April 01, 2016, 11:43:16 am »

I'm pretty sure this has happened to everyone at sometime. I decided to try and build my first well and built a storage for the water under it and channeled out a pathway for the water to flow from the river to it. I had a floodgates set up and a switch connected and made sure it worked. When I had the dwarf channel out the last wall and flow began, I just decided to wait until it got kind of full, like 5 or 6. When I decided to shut the floodgate, it didn't close, probably because of the water pressure or something, (not too sure, I'm not a super experienced player) and water began gushing into the dinning hall where I designated everyone to idle. *facepalm*

Only the good swimmers survived.

There were a few.

There are two kinds of DF players: those who have flooded their fort by mistake, and those who WILL flood their fort by mistake. XP

But yeah, drawbridges are less finicky (floodgates will fail to close if a single item or creature is in its space), and pressure will flow up unless you use diagonal spaces to bug it out.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9723 on: April 01, 2016, 03:19:21 pm »

I never thought of the "diagonal" depressurizer as a bug. I think of it more as a "fast leak" that allows water through but isn't wide enough to exert the pressure of the water behind it. Real useful for an ever-full well.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #9724 on: April 01, 2016, 03:47:34 pm »

I'm not sure if I'd call it a bug, an exploit, or what. But yeah, pressure is weird and the solution is even weirder.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Droggarth

• Bay Watcher
  • Ischrotaur Axe Lord [SUPERNATURAL][STRANGE_MOODS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9725 on: April 02, 2016, 06:54:12 am »

Well, to the rest of you this isn't an issue as I'm perfectly aware that Fortress Mode is the main part of DF.

Thing is I finally started a short Fortress Mode test.. aaand, nope, just.. no. What made me facepalm so to speak is the fact just like with all other games like Timber and Stone, Settlers 3, Cultures 1 and 2, games that basically involve giving orders and then waiting and watching who knows how friggin' long. Not my cup of tea. Sorry

Seriously though, all I need as far as DF's fortress mode goes is a creative mode to build the perfect building for my adventurer because I'm a very impatient guy with some other nasty mental disorders making it hard for me to cope with a lot of things and even the tiniest of details can sometimes make me go almost apeshit.

Bleh, just needed to get this out of my system.
"I'll make my own way." - Max Rockatansky

King Kitteh

• Bay Watcher
  • [SAVAGE][CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9726 on: April 02, 2016, 07:08:09 am »

Don't worry, soon you can build stuff in adventure mode by getting some slaves COMPANIONS. And then ordering them to build stuff... While you wait... And... Oh... Right.

Well you can't have everything can you.  :P
goodnight, speep tighht, don't let the bedbugs bite

Droggarth

• Bay Watcher
  • Ischrotaur Axe Lord [SUPERNATURAL][STRANGE_MOODS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9727 on: April 02, 2016, 07:48:51 am »

Actually, at least in adventure mode when waiting I'm still possessing the body of my adventurer and thus it won't feel like I'm some sort of bodyless entity as I can move and hack off anyone's head if I get too frustrated.

Well you can't have everything can you.  :P

I loathe it to the point of depression and rage.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 07:54:41 am by Droggarth »
"I'll make my own way." - Max Rockatansky

KillzEmAllGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Searching for the other sock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9728 on: April 04, 2016, 01:56:30 am »

While looking at D for dwarf stuff on the wiki yesterday came across clutter... I did stop using stockpiles for somethings.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #9729 on: April 06, 2016, 06:52:51 am »

3rd month after embark: my farmer is reported missing.
he was then found dead by dehydration on the treetop.

the weremonitor killed 3 dwarves and a dwarven child died.
6 of my dorfs stand around the rotting corpse of the child and refuse to do anything, while some other repeatedly try to handle animals and cancel the job immediately because the animals are "inaccessable".
only a few dorfs seem to still care for eating or drinking, while that group just stands there unti lthey starve and die by dehydration.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 11:41:38 am by Pvt. Pirate »
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

DesuChan

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Im not a weeb, I promise ;-;
    • View Profile
« Reply #9730 on: April 08, 2016, 03:18:50 pm »

I don't have to much trouble with fortress mode, in terms of the basics anyway, but all my Adventure mode ventures end with me dying to a river cause I can't help but jump over them cause impatience. Which always ends with me dead, or maimed and then dead  :P My favorite death was swimming across a three tile river, made to the other side, and then died to a flash freeze 8)

My biggest screw up in Fortress mode would be attempting a high savage and evil embark after not playing the game for months and there was a new update. I didn't even last a season ;D

Jerry The Hellbound

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional "Knife-ear" torturer 1-800-elfgod
    • View Profile
    • This is also for my Custom Race: Solari!
« Reply #9731 on: April 10, 2016, 12:57:28 pm »

Deleting the mod you were working on for like 3 days straight.
Jerry.
This is also for my Custom Race: Solari! (Currently outdated)
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=155455.0
Also made that awesome avatar. took me hours with Gimp: (also the two light & dark sprites are from Stardew Valley)
http://i.imgur.com/8x7aX7T.png

123nick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9732 on: April 10, 2016, 08:35:07 pm »

omg that must be horrible  :'( what mod was it? can u ever recover it?

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #9733 on: April 10, 2016, 08:40:54 pm »

designign a ramp/staircase and missing that the support for the ramps is being mined away and having to rebuild it over 10 levels.
luckily the miners could get out before starving.

:( i feel with you.

"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Jerry The Hellbound

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional "Knife-ear" torturer 1-800-elfgod
    • View Profile
    • This is also for my Custom Race: Solari!
« Reply #9734 on: April 11, 2016, 10:01:24 am »

Yes, before i did some shameful advertising, and i pasted most of the main creature code, however it was outdated from what id made the whole day, so started from the morning (10am) down to like 6pm, but i knew exactly what i did so i could replicate it all. took me just a few hours, although it was a pain to copy everything from the phone to the computer due to me having no internet in it. Next day i did tho, so i could copy paste everything over
Also its the mod in my sig.
Jerry.
This is also for my Custom Race: Solari! (Currently outdated)
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=155455.0
Also made that awesome avatar. took me hours with Gimp: (also the two light & dark sprites are from Stardew Valley)
http://i.imgur.com/8x7aX7T.png
Pages: 1 ... 647 648 [649] 650 651 ... 729