Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 648 649 [650] 651 652 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2095056 times)

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #9735 on: April 11, 2016, 01:07:44 pm »

i had something simiar once modding meshes for oblivion:
i had to edit the original texturepaths manually from the original meshes into the modded meshes, meaning:
-load original mesh into nifskope
-mark object
-navigate to the texturepath
-copy texturepath
-switch to mod folder
-load mod mesh into nifskope
-mark object
-navigate to the texturepath
-paste texturepath
-save file as
-overwrite existing file? [yes]
-close both windows
-switch to original folder
-repeat

doing that for ~70 wallcarpets and banners and then forgetting to pack it somewhere for when i have to reinstall the game = all the work lost when i eventually could foresee destroying my install by having too many incompatible mods installed and no backups whatsoever :'( i decided to just not install the mod again :D
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #9736 on: April 11, 2016, 01:10:29 pm »

Ah, that feeling. Though also annoying is making a major change to a mod, realizing it won't work as intended only to realize you overwrote/saved over the old version.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #9737 on: April 11, 2016, 07:04:18 pm »

had that alot when editing meshes. that engine has a problem with alpha channels. if two objects with textureproperties set to use alphachannel as transparency overlap (are behind eachother) they will make that portion of rendered screen bright, sometimes rendering both objects invisible, like they become thin air.
that happened to my glass armor when i changed said property and texture.

i was unlucky as to overwrite my game files directly with the modded files.

back to topic: looking frustrated through Dwarf TheRapist trying to figure out why my two miners say they got no job, while a hell lot of work is designated -> they just got stuck because somehow they managed to not have an upwards ramp in that portion of the main staircase.

staircase concept works: every zlevel is protected by doors from the ones above and below.
embark on ruins goes fine so far. lost my expeditionleader legendary miner because the cistern wasn't done soon enough :(
I hope Urist McUselessMigrant will do well in replacing him. (he already got mining Lvl5 by now, but started at zero!)

my best miner diedtrying to channel during the "wet season" :,(
he was legendary+5 !!! :,(

it's very big burden on McUselessMigrant alias Miner Lvl8 shoulders now!

i forgot the pump operator dorf who kept pumping water, although he was drownign in his pumped water. i am laughing & crying now.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 11:24:40 pm by Pvt. Pirate »
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Droggarth

• Bay Watcher
  • Ischrotaur Axe Lord [SUPERNATURAL][STRANGE_MOODS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9738 on: April 12, 2016, 05:45:04 am »

Ugh, was looking for games on steam and a little bit from elsewhere to see if anything that strikes my fancy has popped up.. and nope.

I'm not sure what's worse, the fact that majority of games are empty shells of casual gameplay or the fact that I have had more fun in DF reading the randomly generated incoherent names in my generated world, FML. :-\

Point is once one has seen how so much more a game can be like DF is.. everything else that has been played and tried becomes a pile of bleh, at least for me it has had that effect. Have been "playing"/trying some of the other installed games on my computer and all I could think everytime about was "I wonder how I'm gonna mod this thing or that thing in DF and how am I gonna pull it all off".
"I'll make my own way." - Max Rockatansky

Jerry The Hellbound

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional "Knife-ear" torturer 1-800-elfgod
    • View Profile
    • This is also for my Custom Race: Solari!
« Reply #9739 on: April 12, 2016, 08:01:42 am »

Ah, that feeling. Though also annoying is making a major change to a mod, realizing it won't work as intended only to realize you overwrote/saved over the old version.
Yeah, what happenes to me is that I have a back up. And I normally edit the back up and update the one that I'm playing with. But I was editing the one I was playing with and the back up was around three months old. I overwritten the one I'm playing with the old one. Loosing all my progress
Jerry.
This is also for my Custom Race: Solari! (Currently outdated)
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=155455.0
Also made that awesome avatar. took me hours with Gimp: (also the two light & dark sprites are from Stardew Valley)
http://i.imgur.com/8x7aX7T.png

decev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9740 on: April 12, 2016, 09:00:17 am »

Didn't know that gigantic pandas were grazers. Had one die in it's cage in the main stockpile like a year after the elves brought it over. Also didn't know that reanimating corpses somehow get released from their cage. Gigantic panda corpse killed and/or maimed some important dwarves. It would have been game over in 34.11

Also, almost without fail, the visiting mercenaries try to kill the undead wildlife and get killed doing so, causing undead visitor corpses to roam my map. Thanks guys.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #9741 on: April 12, 2016, 12:12:03 pm »

i forgot the pump operator dorf who kept pumping water, although he was drownign standing in his pumped water. i am laughing & crying now. he then left the scene when the water was at height 7/7 and cancelled the job.
fixed that.
but now my dorfs again don't have access to the cistern as my fort lacks a chain for a well.

Plex

• Bay Watcher
  • Trapped in HFS, send toilet paper
    • View Profile
    • Welp
« Reply #9742 on: April 12, 2016, 08:42:39 pm »

I remember the first cistern I dug. I remember it very clearly.

I was very happy with it until I connected it with the river. I was completely ignorant of dwarven pressure mechanics back then and I was really freaked out when water started spraying out of the meeting hall. Fortress was done in a few ticks, but the lag was so bad it took more like 10 minutes to kill that one last dwarf in the attic wood stockpile.
I ain't gonna sign on the dotted line!

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9743 on: April 13, 2016, 08:15:31 pm »

I was playing a reclaimed fortress. The game ran smoothly with 200 visible units, until suddenly fps dropped to 1 from 30.

I fixed it by exterminating all hungry heads using dfhack.

Then I checked their corpses and found some were near a door.
Then I remembered all pre-generated doors were set to pet impassable by default.

Droggarth

• Bay Watcher
  • Ischrotaur Axe Lord [SUPERNATURAL][STRANGE_MOODS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9744 on: April 14, 2016, 07:28:47 am »

Turns out all this time I got the arm, leg, joint, etc RELSIZE all wrong:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

*epic double facepalm*
"I'll make my own way." - Max Rockatansky

Kogan Onulsodel

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Physicist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9745 on: April 17, 2016, 09:44:30 pm »

I played with the melt exploit to train weaponsmiths, armorsmiths, and get infinite weapons-grade materials. Of course, as my weaponsmiths and armorsmiths got proper training, they started producing lots of ☼menacing silver spikes☼. There must have been hundreds lying around. Well, no problem, you can't melt those, but you can trade them away. So a few caravans have come and gone and they've been VERY happy about their haul.

Then, while a human caravan was loading up one year, laden with ☼giant steel axe blades☼, a new mayor came into office and forbade export of menacing spikes. And something like half my fort (of 350 dwarves) had participated in hauling for the human caravan. And of course I'd forgotten to set up a jail. So... probably... 100 beatings scheduled?

Starweaver396

• Bay Watcher
  • Misplaced
    • View Profile
« Reply #9746 on: April 18, 2016, 05:18:51 pm »

I played with the melt exploit to train weaponsmiths, armorsmiths, and get infinite weapons-grade materials. Of course, as my weaponsmiths and armorsmiths got proper training, they started producing lots of ☼menacing silver spikes☼. There must have been hundreds lying around. Well, no problem, you can't melt those, but you can trade them away. So a few caravans have come and gone and they've been VERY happy about their haul.

Then, while a human caravan was loading up one year, laden with ☼giant steel axe blades☼, a new mayor came into office and forbade export of menacing spikes. And something like half my fort (of 350 dwarves) had participated in hauling for the human caravan. And of course I'd forgotten to set up a jail. So... probably... 100 beatings scheduled?

Murder the caravan next time. Or the mayor. (Don't know if either of those actually work.)
...a limbless, headless, bloodless and mutilated dwarf torso that is nevertheless kept alive through benevolent faerie magicks. He is blind, helpless, and in excruciating pain, and yet does not die...
E: I should point out that this is all because of Starweaver giving me inspiration   Aren't you happy with yourself, Starweaver?

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #9747 on: April 18, 2016, 08:32:23 pm »

Or just not have a sheriff/captain of the guard assigned. o3o
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Urist McShire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9748 on: April 18, 2016, 08:35:03 pm »

Exactly. If there's no officer who can dish out the punishment, then there's no punishment to be had. Just keep the mayor happy with some high quality silver status in his bedroom or office or something.

Kogan Onulsodel

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Physicist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9749 on: April 19, 2016, 11:27:05 am »

Murder the caravan next time. Or the mayor. (Don't know if either of those actually work.)

I thought about murdering the mayor. I tried removing him from office, but that didn't work. Maybe I'll have to set up that situation again, so I can murder the mayor, see if that would work. For SCIENCE!

I'm pretty sure murdering the caravan would work, since the issue came up when they left the map. The trouble is that, in a fort of 350 dorfs with multiple megaprojects going on, I didn't notice the new mayor's preferences until the beatings had begun, and then it was too late.
Pages: 1 ... 648 649 [650] 651 652 ... 729