Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 649 650 [651] 652 653 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2095728 times)

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #9750 on: April 20, 2016, 02:31:06 am »

Selling masterwork works the same as melting, for the artisan, so you could melt them anyway, and there will be no criminals. Only some suicides. But suicide isn't a crime, right?

gunpowdertea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9751 on: April 20, 2016, 04:03:57 am »

Selling masterwork works the same as melting, for the artisan, so you could melt them anyway, and there will be no criminals. Only some suicides. But suicide isn't a crime, right?

I think this has been fixed (or is about to). The "trading away = destroyed" was a bug, whereas melting = destroying. However, "trading stuff while forbidden" is punishable by a beating (issue helmets to all dorfs, might help the survival rate).
I don't care. I have discovered that if you spawn elves this way, cats will chase them down and eat them.

Kogan Onulsodel

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Physicist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9752 on: April 20, 2016, 09:07:46 am »

I've never had the creator of a masterpiece upset by trading away. I wasn't even aware of this bug. I'm playing unmodded, too (well, a graphics package).

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9753 on: April 20, 2016, 12:39:02 pm »

I've never had the creator of a masterpiece upset by trading away. I wasn't even aware of this bug. I'm playing unmodded, too (well, a graphics package).
It came with the trade export value fix (42.06). IIRC, they're listed as being destroyed by random megabeasts as soon as they leave your fort.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Player111444

• Bay Watcher
  • I Fight for Nod!! POWER:30 PEACE:35
    • View Profile
« Reply #9754 on: April 20, 2016, 08:28:22 pm »

For Some Reason Dwarves are Aggressive Creatures.

One day a Fisherdwarf was fishing in the river in the east at the end of screen.

a hyena pack shows up.

got a interruption message. "Urist Cancels Fish. Interrupted by Hyena."

But for some reason in 42.06 the hyenas are scared. "Overcome with terror!"

But Urist is a bit of a pickle brain and chases 1 Hyena to kill it.

Not even stopping to kill that Canine.

Called Mr Militia Commander to slap that Hyena and Throw Urist's Face into the Chopping block for being an Suicidal Fool.

It was too late. Hyena got tired and kept whaling on poor UristMcAngryFisherDorf with it's canine teeth.

and Urist finally succumbs to infections or blood loss and the Hyena was Named Famousbrew for some reason. 
It's been a long time old friend.

Not a fan of CnC Rivals.

King Kitteh

• Bay Watcher
  • [SAVAGE][CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9755 on: April 20, 2016, 11:09:15 pm »

But suicide isn't a crime, right?

UristMcDeaddybones, you have been charged with murder... of yourself. How do you plea?

..... Brains...

Guilty! Have him executed!
goodnight, speep tighht, don't let the bedbugs bite

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9756 on: April 21, 2016, 05:53:15 am »

Suicide is only a crime so we can legally prevent it.
...Wait, dwarves do this too, right?
Black lives matter.

MobRules

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9757 on: April 21, 2016, 03:59:11 pm »

I was playing a reclaimed fortress. The game ran smoothly with 200 visible units, until suddenly fps dropped to 1 from 30.

I fixed it by exterminating all hungry heads using dfhack.

Then I checked their corpses and found some were near a door.
Then I remembered all pre-generated doors were set to pet impassable by default.

Yeah, the "One domesticated turkey trying repeatedly (and unsuccessfully) to path through a locked-to-pets-door, bringing the FPS down by an order of magnitude" bug drives me crazy. I've just stopped setting doors to be usable-by-dwarves-but-not-by-pets until such time as the bug is fixed. (But the pre-generated door would have caught me up as well; I wouldn't have thought to check it initially)
Ninja dragons! Protect the masterwork roasts!
Is this biome reanimating? I really don't want to know what happens when "absurd numbers of megabeasts" is combined with "reanimating biomes".

King Kitteh

• Bay Watcher
  • [SAVAGE][CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9758 on: April 21, 2016, 11:46:26 pm »

Wait, can Dwarves blame eachother for another Dwarf's suicide? If so that's genius.

In other news my fort was destroyed by giant alligators before I could even designate a single tree to be cut.
goodnight, speep tighht, don't let the bedbugs bite

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9759 on: April 22, 2016, 02:36:33 am »

I retired a fortress for testing, to see if this helps with near-death FPS. Well, it didn't really, maybe because of all these fights between giants and cyclopses, or a fire started by a dragon wanting to help fight a forgotten beast...

But face palm moment was when I realised that my fort now belongs to a goblin civ. Or rather a "revived" dwarf civ, whose members are somehow also members of a goblin civ, which (practically) conquered said dwarf civ (which is different than the original dwarf civ my fort belonged to before). Even their names are goblin. For example the current queen is a dwarf who was an administrator of some hillock under the goblin civ. The hillock was conquered by the goblins 50 years before her birth. And now she is a puppet queen of the civ of her ancestors. I doubt she even speaks Dwarven. Still, my duchesses and other dwarves are apparently part of the original civ, at least according to the CIV ID. Just the land was stolen from under their feet.

Urist McShire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9760 on: April 25, 2016, 11:43:52 am »

Apparently I still don't understand the usage of ramps when it comes to mining, as I just had two dwarves die of dehydration when they wouldn't go back up the ramps they constructed to go further down.

bigjaredmonkey

• Bay Watcher
  • The Ace-ace ace-ace of ace-aces
    • View Profile
« Reply #9761 on: April 25, 2016, 08:57:11 pm »

I am currently being sieged by a large force that will no doubt kill all of my dwarves, consisting of...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
This is a birch door. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. This object menaces with spikes of chicken leather. This object menaces with spikes of chicken leather. On the item is an image of ravens in birch.
Noob fortress, a succession game for noobs.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=157847.0

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #9762 on: April 27, 2016, 04:22:52 pm »

I am currently being sieged by a large force that will no doubt kill all of my dwarves, consisting of...

I was once besiged by a single goblin who was stuck in a tree surrounded by war dogs.

It was funny.

Especially after the wopdcutter got there.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9763 on: April 27, 2016, 04:31:43 pm »

I was once besiged by a single goblin who was stuck in a tree surrounded by war dogs.

It was funny.

Especially after the woodcutter got there.
Due to a modding error, I once got sieged by an army of toads lead by a pyromancer. Not toadmen, not giant toads, but toads. The kind cats murder.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #9764 on: April 27, 2016, 05:24:35 pm »

It was funny.

Especially after the woodcutter got there.

I don't think that was a siege in the traditional sense. Rather your dogs sieged him.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!
Pages: 1 ... 649 650 [651] 652 653 ... 729