Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 652 653 [654] 655 656 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2095751 times)

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #9795 on: June 22, 2016, 08:30:49 am »

I digress. It seems that one of my newly enslaved hired laborers has decided to follow the illustrious career path of "murderous little piece of shit" and in the process took the lives of three of my peasant military drones.

Did they go nuts or something?

God damn your military drones must suck!

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #9796 on: June 22, 2016, 10:41:35 am »

Vampire maybe?
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Blackadder

• Bay Watcher
  • Ask about our insanely low rate on !FUN! insurance
    • View Profile
« Reply #9797 on: June 22, 2016, 10:50:12 am »

Did they go nuts or something?

God damn your military drones must suck!

They were not yet armed, something I have now remedied - however I was impressed an unarmed child was able to kill three 50-80 year old dwarves in a wrestling match. Our children are now being kept in a secure prison daycare facility to prevent future incidents.
Urist McWrestler: "Hmm, maybe if I bite his ear with my front top teeth, bite his foot with my front bottom teeth, and bite his right hand with my back bottom teeth, I can easily win this fight!"
It's not a real PARTY until the queen has a baby, picks it up, kills two goblins by punching THROUGH THE SKULL with her remaining hand, and then finishes off half a barrel of fungus wine while still nursing.

YetAnotherLurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9798 on: June 23, 2016, 04:21:11 am »

One of my roller-powered lead minecart grinders jammed because I threw about 60 greater badgermen on horses in at once. I now had 100-odd bruised and angry badgermen and horses stuck under my entrance bridge, with no safe way to let them out. Magma was considered and discarded, as I didn't want to go to the trouble of rebuilding everything after it all melts. So, I built an extension to my pump stack to turn the grinder pit into a drowning chamber. Only a few minor flooding problems, quickly contained, occur as I build a drainage system, and the test run successfully provides me with another few years' worth of horse meat and badgerite.

Fast forward a few years. I've replaced the rock-filled lead minecarts with lead-filled gold minecarts in an attempt to increase lethality and reduce jamming, and another 60+ mounted badgermen lay siege to my fortress. I drop them in as before, flip the switch to begin harvesting this year's crop, and go back to supervising my military as they hunt down a forgotten beast in the third cavern. After a while, I notice the siege still hasn't broken, so I take a look in the pit. All of the minecarts are piled in a line ending in a corner, once again there's 50 angry badgers and their horses in my pit. I take a closer look, and find, in the corner, "dead muddy cave wheat" instead of "Obsidian Track NE".

Looks like I'm going to have to rebuild everything anyway to make it plant-proof.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #9799 on: June 23, 2016, 04:36:26 am »

Modding bug of the day: Phantom spiders and acorn flies having no fucking clue what they're made of to due a typo.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9800 on: June 23, 2016, 12:47:30 pm »

Modding bug of the day: Phantom spiders and acorn flies having no fucking clue what they're made of to due a typo.
To be fair, I don't think real flies have any idea what they're made from either.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #9801 on: June 23, 2016, 02:26:22 pm »

True, but do they know their bodies at least exist? o3o
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9802 on: June 23, 2016, 05:26:23 pm »

True, but do they know their bodies at least exist? o3o

Sounds like the subject of a Dwarven Philosophy book.

Urist McColeTheo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9803 on: June 23, 2016, 11:22:56 pm »

I used to think "potash" was some weirdly named food product made of potatoes so I considered Potash Makers useless.

Up until now I was pronouncing it "puhtash."

YetAnotherLurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9804 on: June 24, 2016, 12:33:27 pm »

I spent quite a bit of time securing an area around a lake in the third cavern layer over 100 Z-levels below the core of my fortress to fish in, in hopes of acquiring some cave lobsters on the off chance shells are demanded by a mood. I just discovered that my fortress is home to aquifer turtles, and that they can be pumped with no problems.

mscottveach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9805 on: June 26, 2016, 07:34:25 pm »

I used to think "potash" was some weirdly named food product made of potatoes so I considered Potash Makers useless.

And... uh... .what's the truth? (Asking for a friend.)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #9806 on: June 26, 2016, 07:40:03 pm »

I think the more relevant discovery was that Urist had an opportunity to pronounce it - e.g. to speak of potash making in DF with someone face to face.

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9807 on: June 27, 2016, 12:21:38 am »

And... uh... .what's the truth? (Asking for a friend.)

Potassium in nutrient forms.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #9808 on: June 27, 2016, 12:59:56 am »

Well, my latest facepalm moment is the "is potash a potato" thing and the derp that has stemmed from it.

Technically it's any of several potassium salts, traditionally made by collecting wood ashes (hence, ashery), and soaking them in container filled with water to leach the salts out and evaporate the water. Which you'd typically do in a pot, ergo...
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9809 on: June 27, 2016, 06:08:14 am »

So my latest face palm was realizing I had a improperly defined work order for processing quarrybush plants into bags of leaves.

The fort will officially never have a shortage of leaves to cook, and our clothiers are pumping out masterpiece everything after making so many bags over the past few years since it was originally set.

I've decided to fallow most of the farms while we work through our overproduction.
Pages: 1 ... 652 653 [654] 655 656 ... 729