Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 672 673 [674] 675 676 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2111616 times)

BNDR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #10095 on: May 30, 2017, 07:50:09 am »

Just had a Zombie invasion. Yet again. Prepared everything.

Alt-tabbed a split second, came back, "You have been conquered."

FML

Must have forgotten to pull one lever to seal all entrances or the undead were tunneling.
What a short moment can do.... time to reclaim that joint. For the empire!

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10096 on: June 06, 2017, 11:06:11 am »

So some "Og Trottedslayers" petitioned for citizenship at my forteress. I assume it's either one of the bards or one of the warriors that I accepted as a long-term resident, and look for him in the unit list.

Can't find it. I looked twice in Citizens and Others, can't find it.

I finally shrug, try the new statue menu to have a pseudo-legends mode on him, find that "it's an water buffalo of unknown parentage", plus born at least 30 years ago.

Alright, DF. Now you're fucking with me.

I assume it is a bug, accept him as a citizen, look for my new sentient water buffalo citizen in the pets/livestock screen (it was inevitable) and find him.

Except it's not a water buffalo, it's a white tigerman bard. (It's a Fortress Defense civ)

In the pets/livestock screen. Hell, there's another one just next to him in that screen.

What the fuck, dwarves.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 11:11:35 am by Naryar »

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #10097 on: June 06, 2017, 02:18:33 pm »

So some "Og Trottedslayers" petitioned for citizenship at my forteress. I assume it's either one of the bards or one of the warriors that I accepted as a long-term resident, and look for him in the unit list.

I finally shrug, try the new statue menu to have a pseudo-legends mode on him, find that "it's an water buffalo of unknown parentage", plus born at least 30 years ago.

I assume it is a bug, accept him as a citizen, look for my new sentient water buffalo citizen in the pets/livestock screen (it was inevitable) and find him.

Except it's not a water buffalo, it's a white tigerman bard. (It's a Fortress Defense civ)

In the pets/livestock screen. Hell, there's another one just next to him in that screen.

What the fuck, dwarves.
I think your dwarves have just invented slavery. Can you mark him to be butchered or gelded?
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

Innsmothe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10098 on: June 08, 2017, 02:09:18 pm »

Racist dwarf expedition leader started a barfight with a newly arrived goblin adventurer and was in turn crippled for life. Like a dutiful overseer I force my treekiller into a militia squad and sent him to confornt the goblin.
He died on the point of a sword because I forgot to assign him his axe as a weapon.
"That which does not kill me, can only make me stranger." -Dana, Creator of Ozzy & Millie.

TheBenn

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10099 on: June 11, 2017, 08:29:06 am »

I just spend a good half an hour building a new shooting gallery with my freshly captured goblins, including a safe drop pit in case the design doesn't work.

Then I remembered that in the siege where I captured those goblins my markssquad of five was wiped out because they were convinced they'd need to train right now.
In their barracks in the unfinished, unsecured outside tower. They walked right into the invaders that were currently in the process of being obliterated by my minecart mincer.

I am not even sure who got actually killed by what, it's just a gigant bloody mess in that corridor.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10100 on: June 11, 2017, 09:36:40 am »

What the fuck, dwarves.
I think your dwarves have just invented slavery. Can you mark him to be butchered or gelded?

I can mark him to be butchered, not gelded. Let's see if I can butcher him despite ethics ! For science !

Edit : He seems to be led to the butcher's workshop. Well, I can't give him any jobs because he counts as an animal.

I can't wait for the incoming loyalty cascade.

Edit 2 : Yup, white tigermen was dragged and slaughtered at the butcher's. None of the dwarves seem to care either. No loyalty cascade.

Now I have 30 white tigerman meat. Man, this reminds me of my old days in DF where I modded dwarves to be fine with the butchering of sentients and sieges brought meat, bones and leather instead of just goblinite and cloth.

Edit 3 : Now I have a looming feeling it may be due to tags in the white tigerman raw... Yup, they have [PET] for a reason I do not really care on lingering on that subject, thank you.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 09:50:33 am by Naryar »

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10101 on: June 13, 2017, 04:49:41 pm »

So, I'm building an aboveground fort. With a water moat.

And two dwarves already drowned in it in the interval of maybe two days or so. They just "disappeared" for some reason, my genre savvy kicks in and says it's the moat and I look at it. Two corpses alright.

Really. That's a safe, non-savage, non-evil fort, the water has stopped moving since some time, there are nearly no fighting logs (a few animals snapping at each other at most) so no dodging in the water, they're not even close to the water slopes, and they're not perma-depressed due to moods. No carp either since a few months.

There is no reason to go drown in the water, even including dwarven stupidity (and I've got a few experiences with dwarves randomly "disappearing" next to magma moats, even then those are usually when fighting).

Why are you even doing this, you idiots ?

I'd just pretend this is Armok subtly telling me that he wants sacrifices.  :-\
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 04:52:36 pm by Naryar »

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10102 on: June 17, 2017, 09:19:07 am »

My dwarves are still drowning due to stupid reasons.

Literally they get offended by capybaras, dogpile them, go into a stream/murky pool and fail to get out.

It was funny when a dwarf nicknamed Carp Bait did it. It wasn't funny when two more useful dwarves followed suit.

Seriously, what the hell. I don't have this many dwarves.

Going to make an automated swimming training system, it looks like.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 09:22:20 am by Naryar »

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10103 on: June 18, 2017, 06:49:52 am »

My dwarves are still drowning due to stupid reasons.

Literally they get offended by capybaras, dogpile them, go into a stream/murky pool and fail to get out.

It was funny when a dwarf nicknamed Carp Bait did it. It wasn't funny when two more useful dwarves followed suit.

Seriously, what the hell. I don't have this many dwarves.

Going to make an automated swimming training system, it looks like.
You already have an automated swimming training system, you just need to raise its efficiency. So that dwarves learn to swim before they manage to drown.
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10104 on: June 18, 2017, 07:39:47 am »

It depends, whether the moat is fueled by a river, or not. If it is, this would be difficult.

Drain enough water, so that whole moat is just 4 to 6 layers deep. If the moat is connected to river, you will have to plug the channel first. (probably by pouring lava into it)
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10105 on: June 19, 2017, 12:50:35 pm »

The moat is connected to the river, yes.

River's outside my fortifications and generally dwarves do not get too close to it. Generally.

Moat is 2 z-levels too.

I *would* set that river to less than 7/7 on all tiles, but it would require pumps, waterwheels, and a drawbridge water annihilator...

Hmm, I can probably do that without much fuss. Just a few drawbridges next to the river, destroying water, and probably a water triggered pressure plate triggering them. I can even make it so it doesn't kill dwarves/aquatic wildlife and (probably) not murder my FPS.

Or maybe I can just improve that automated swimming trainer.

Dycedarg

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10106 on: June 21, 2017, 01:11:15 am »

I just started playing again recently after a relatively long break, and I've encountered a fair few face palm moments getting used to things again. A sample:

Human caravan shows up, starts unloading their goods, everything's just fine, then suddenly a wagon that's still outside scuttles for some reason and all remaining traders run for their lives. I'm quite confused, but after scouring the map for what could possibly cause this, I turn up empty handed. I assume it's a random bug and decide to just give all my crap to the dwarven caravan. Autumn comes, they show up, start unloading, then the same thing happens. A wagon scuttles, they all flee. Now I'm highly annoyed as the only caravan I got that year was the elves and all they had was crap, and now I'm going to be stuck with two years worth of discarded clothing cluttering up my stockpiles. Not to mention the scuttled wagons were full of nothing but useless garbage. I start googling to see if I can find a solution. The closest I can find to my situation is a report of that happening when they encounter sentient body parts. Well, I tend to keep things pretty clean and I'm fairly certain I would have noticed if I had random bits of people cluttering my front lawn. I scour the place again and find nothing. Finally I decide to go through the body parts list in the stock menu to see if I can find anything, and lo and behold there are about a half dozen body parts... in the trees. Apparently that wereelephant who came along fairly early in my game and beat a bunch of my dwarves to death with a pig tail sock had also ripped off random limbs and chucked them into nearby trees without my knowing about it. I cut them down and got rid of the body parts and merchants have been fine since, including the time I had just finished a siege and the front entryway was literally riddled with bits of goblin. I guess they don't care about them as much.

Another time an ettin shows up, and since my marksdwarves are sorely in need of a live target for practice I resolve to trap it. Should be a fairly simple operation: Close all the bridges except the trap corridor, forbid the door that leads to it, wait for him to wander into a cage trap on his way to break the door. While, my first derp was forgetting to close the pen I keep my regular dogs in to prevent them from following the war dogs into battle and getting pasted. I close it after only a half dozen run out (at the ettin, of course. Stupid mutts.) Not too bad a loss, always more where they came from, I just have to wait until he's done murdering them and then he'll go into the trap as planned. But wait, now the falcons who have been stuck on top of the wind mill wall for the past year decide now is the perfect time to remember they have legendary climbing and use it to climb down and flee the ettin who can't climb and from whom they would have been perfectly safe had they just stayed put, so now he's murdering dogs and falcons. Ok, also eminently replaceable, it'll be fine. OH FOR THE LOVE OF ARMOK WHO'S SHOOTING AT IT?! Oh, an off duty marksdwarf. On top of the windmill wall. Lovely.

When I built that windmill I had a stairwell next to the shaft for the axle to make mining it out easy, afterwards I destroyed the bottom of it so this sort of thing couldn't happen. He must have somehow spider climbed, or jumped, or something, to get from the floor of the mill chamber to the completely inaccessible stairwell, so he could climb up to the windmill, and climb to the top of the wall (which had no ramps), so he could take pot shots at the ettin, all because he somehow sensed the combat from 4 z levels away and got all vengeful about it. Well, fine at least he's safe up there oh wait he just climbed down from the wall and is now wailing on the ettin with his bone crossbow and complete lack of melee skills. Well, at this point the operations completely shot to heck so I summon the axe lords to take care of things maybe before he gets completely murdered. Of course when I open the door to let them out who runs out first but my 153 year old broker who's also gotten all vengeful and feels the need to join the crossbow moron in trying to cave its skulls in with his ☼Dog Bone Scepter☼.

Oddly enough, both of them escape without injuries. Apparently in the mortal combat with the half dozen untrained non-war dogs the ettin suffered so many bite wounds it was incapable of so much as landing a hit on either completely untrained dwarf in the minute or so he has before the axe lords finally show up. I'm pretty sure it was the lamest uninvited guest I've ever had; its kills consisted of three dogs and two peregrine falcon chicks. The amusing part of it for me was that after my axe lords relieved the ettin of most of its limbs (and one of its heads) who gets the kiling blow but my broker. With his scepter. I have absolutely no idea how that happened.

The most recent moment I had was after killing a forgotten beast, I was having my military do a bit of tidying up in the lowest cavern when a siege arrives at the least opportune moment. Well, I'll just summon them back. I've gotten all of them (or at least I assume so) safely upstairs with someone on his way to seal the entrance so I can focus on the siege when "You have struck microcline! You have struck horn silver!" Oh look, an axe lord climbed down a cliff into an area of the cavern I haven't explored yet and now is chasing crundles all over the place. Needless to say, he won't climb back up the cliff when he's done, so now I'm splitting my attention between doing fortress defense stuff and micromanaging him on his trek through the undiscovered area of the cavern that links the area where he is with the area where the door is. It's fairly painstaking as I have to issue a new station order every twenty or thirty tiles; telling him to go further would just result in his failing to path and just standing there. I somehow manage it without either letting cavern stuff into my fort or completely borking my siege defense, but it was still the most annoying thing to happen to me lately. I haven't had much luck in figuring out when and how the dwarves decide to climb except that they always seem to do so when it makes my life more difficult or complicated, and never when it would make things simpler.

grenedle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10107 on: June 28, 2017, 01:20:03 pm »

I'm coming back to DF after a while and I was never that experienced even before. I've generated a few worlds and in each one I've had terrible luck finding iron ore. While looking at the wiki page for advanced world generation (for unrelated reasons) I found the problem. I thought that setting Mineral Scarcity to a high number would make minerals more plentiful. I had it backwards; low numbers means more minerals. So I'd been making worlds with minerals set to between Rare and Very Rare this whole time.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10108 on: July 06, 2017, 12:29:10 am »

We managed to survive the attack of yet another forgotten beast in the upper cavern, and the humans came to trade. I got every trade good I could think of (a remarkable amount of bloodstained xglovesx, xshoesx and XXrobesXX) and looked for the broker, who had no job. Well good. Then I looked again.

No Job (Caged).....

*facedesk* It appears when the forgotten beast cage trap of doom was set off, a few dorfs were in the way of it, and two of those ended up in cage traps (the beast itself was killed by the one remaining speardorf).

New problem: I've put the cages in the main dining hall and am trying to release my caged dwarfs (male and female varieties). It turns out that just unassigning them to the cages isn't enough. I'm putting in a lever, and trying to work out what the hell I might do. It is amusing that they keep being fed and watered in there. There is a stack of buckets around their cages, and everyone keeps dropping off food. "Hi, Urist, you still in here huh? How's caged life treating you? You know you can leave at any time, right? Well, here's a mule spleen for you to eat while you sit in there. And here's a bucket of water..."

I'm trying to attach a lever to these things, to boot them out, but all my engineers are either dead or in a cage. It's a problem I've never had before.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10109 on: July 06, 2017, 12:41:53 am »

We managed to survive the attack of yet another forgotten beast in the upper cavern, and the humans came to trade. I got every trade good I could think of (a remarkable amount of bloodstained xglovesx, xshoesx and XXrobesXX) and looked for the broker, who had no job. Well good. Then I looked again.

No Job (Caged).....

*facedesk* It appears when the forgotten beast cage trap of doom was set off, a few dorfs were in the way of it, and two of those ended up in cage traps (the beast itself was killed by the one remaining speardorf).

New problem: I've put the cages in the main dining hall and am trying to release my caged dwarfs (male and female varieties). It turns out that just unassigning them to the cages isn't enough. I'm putting in a lever, and trying to work out what the hell I might do. It is amusing that they keep being fed and watered in there. There is a stack of buckets around their cages, and everyone keeps dropping off food. "Hi, Urist, you still in here huh? How's caged life treating you? You know you can leave at any time, right? Well, here's a mule spleen for you to eat while you sit in there. And here's a bucket of water..."

I'm trying to attach a lever to these things, to boot them out, but all my engineers are either dead or in a cage. It's a problem I've never had before.

I think you might be able to just set a pasture and assign the caged citizens to it.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.
Pages: 1 ... 672 673 [674] 675 676 ... 729