Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 673 674 [675] 676 677 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2095578 times)

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #10110 on: July 06, 2017, 09:11:06 am »

Found one of the animal caretakers on the roof of my 3 story tower. This raised several questions.
For one thing, you might think he climbed to the roof via a staircase, but I have a bridge gate on the roof that was closed.
Second, this was after the most recent merchant incident. Every time the merchants come, vultures follow them into my under trapped depot and scare everyone. This guys was probably startled by a vulture and started... climbing? THREE STORIES? Into an area with MORE VULTURES?

What the heck dude! Did you just want to go up there and scream at them? Why would you do that?

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10111 on: July 06, 2017, 11:31:49 am »

Dwarves default response to a flying animal is to climb things, usually a tree, and then get stuck, they are like cats IRL, except they don't have the excuse of having claws that work great for climbing up, but no so great for climbing down, meaning the cat might really be ACTUALLY stuck

I just now learned you could highlight a word and then click the format buttons and it would be put inside the formatting tags

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10112 on: July 06, 2017, 11:52:27 am »

Dwarves default response to a flying animal is to climb things, usually a tree, and then get stuck, they are like cats IRL, except they don't have the excuse of having claws that work great for climbing up, but no so great for climbing down, meaning the cat might really be ACTUALLY stuck

I just now learned you could highlight a word and then click the format buttons and it would be put inside the formatting tags

I want you to imagine someone seeing a bird, saying "oh s**t a vulture" and climbing a three story building.

And only learning that bit about formatting is truly the greatest face palm moment of all.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10113 on: July 06, 2017, 02:37:27 pm »

I want you to imagine someone seeing a bird, saying "oh s**t a vulture" and climbing a three story building.

Sigged

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10114 on: July 06, 2017, 03:19:14 pm »

Sigged

heehee thanks

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10115 on: July 06, 2017, 04:13:57 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I think you might be able to just set a pasture and assign the caged citizens to it.

I thought so too, but it turns out that they don't turn up in the pasture menu.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #10116 on: July 06, 2017, 09:09:06 pm »

Caved one of my squad into cages to test that, too, and turns out I can't pit them either in 43.03*, but if the cage is unassigned they'll just walk out on their own. Otherwise, being built into barracks, they'll try to organize combat demonstrations but never quite manage to start it.

* :( (one of the methods of digging through revealed SMR I thought of relied on that)

Buckley

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10117 on: July 10, 2017, 02:20:39 pm »

Heh...just started playing in earnest again after about a 6 month break.  Knocked the dust off and had a pretty good fort going when all the sudden...

"Meow."  A cat has given birth to kittens...

A few seconds later...

"Meow."  A cat has given birth to kittens....

O.o  Oh no!  I thought... CATSPLOSION!!!!  Managed to get the gelding done before it got completely out of control.  Had to dedicate about 5 dorfs to the task and build a couple extra Farmer's Workshops.  It was actually kinda hilarious... especially when job cancellations with the "handling dangerious creature" messages started coming in.  I now have about 28 cats from my starting 2.  Kinda think it's cool actually to picture all these crazy ass dwarves running around with cats everywhere... seems fitting.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10118 on: July 10, 2017, 11:51:00 pm »

... especially when job cancellations with the "handling dangerious creature" messages started coming in.

Oh hahahaha yes. "Young Thomas The Kitten would prefer to KEEP his cobblers thankyou so much...." MeeeYOW!

I have this mental image of a whole lot of dorfs standing in line at the local hospital, waiting for their scratches to be cleaned with cat-soap, given a few stitches, and dressed with a bandage. Later, everyone knows if you were a member of that fort from the ritual catscratch lines on everyones faces. That said, whenever I receive a tomcat in this game, I immediately schedule him for gelding. He can stay (vermin are always an issue) but his cobblers can't. But I've not noticed the cancellation spam, that's wonderful  :D
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10119 on: July 13, 2017, 01:20:39 pm »

So my dwarves made an artifact blowgun, and to add insult to injury it had an image of an artifact bow they had made earlier on it.

Thanks for that.

StarWars1981

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10120 on: July 14, 2017, 08:18:36 pm »

Artifact made by tiny little Dwarven child.
Materials: 2 limonite, pig iron bar, iron bar, red tourmaline cut gem, and something else. Diorite maybe? Or wood?

Result: A limonite earring, decorated with itself in iron.

Idiot Dwarf child. And it's a 2 YEAR OLD, so I have 10 YEARS before I can use the new legendary something-or-other-crafter.

*Base might've been wood, I can't remember... xD Idc enough to check.

*facepalm*

escondida

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10121 on: July 14, 2017, 08:28:26 pm »

So my dwarves made an artifact blowgun, and to add insult to injury it had an image of an artifact bow they had made earlier on it.

Thanks for that.

If it's made of a lightweight material, you might consider giving it to the Sheriff or Hammerer (if you decide to actually have those positions).

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10122 on: July 14, 2017, 08:38:37 pm »

Thanks for that.

If it's made of a lightweight material, you might consider giving it to the Sheriff or Hammerer (if you decide to actually have those positions).

I have a Captain of the Guard, but no hammerer.

Eater of Vermin

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERMIN_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10123 on: July 16, 2017, 02:19:17 am »

I need to make a pump stack well over 100 z-levels tall.

So, I place an axle & hanging gear at the top to hang pumps down from, and axles every 10th z-level or so so I can install multiple pumps at the same time, working both up & down.

Built 50 levels or so and decided to do a quick functionality check, removing all 'supporting' side axles except the bottom-most which was the power feed and was hooked up thru a gear to disengage.

Looked good, threw the lever...  and it showered glass corkscrews, tubes and blocks.   :o

Apparently - I have no idea how but obviously "my bad" - my mechanic had also linked the top-most gear to the lever.

You know... the one that I was relying on for support during construction and should never, ever, EVER have been either functional or removed until everything was completed?

Dances with Kobolds

(Mamba in the Magma...  one, two, char-char-char!)

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #10124 on: July 18, 2017, 06:05:46 pm »

I dumped a load of stone down a garbage chute without checking who was on the adjacent stairs. My broker (and one of my favorite dwarves, for no discernible reason) is now one step closer to losing all use of her hands.
She started losing it when I assigned her to the military to go kill a unicorn. It so happens that I'd confused the symbol for a unicorn with the symbol for the lasher who had just visited my tavern, and who then proceeded to give all of my 7 military dwarves nasty injuries. And no unicorn products.
Pages: 1 ... 673 674 [675] 676 677 ... 729