Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 676 677 [678] 679 680 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2111174 times)

thoa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #10155 on: August 13, 2017, 03:23:55 am »

I embarked on a dark fortress. It only took 60 embarks but I got a sweet tower out of it and found out what hell was.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
« Reply #10156 on: August 13, 2017, 10:57:07 am »

I embarked on a dark fortress. It only took 60 embarks but I got a sweet tower out of it and found out what hell was.

spoilers dude

But that sounds like an awesome first encounter.

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10157 on: August 13, 2017, 01:56:17 pm »

How?  I could swear that post 40d dwarf fortress didn't allow embarking on other people's sites.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #10158 on: August 13, 2017, 02:35:52 pm »

Embark-anywhere. I've seen them myself and they're pretty imposing. Took bit of inspiration from one for Moonhome.

Not sure why it took thoa 60 embarks though.

thoa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10159 on: August 13, 2017, 03:26:06 pm »

I kept forgetting to buy weapons at embark. 

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10160 on: August 13, 2017, 03:36:17 pm »

Embark-anywhere. I've seen them myself and they're pretty imposing. Took bit of inspiration from one for Moonhome.

Not sure why it took thoa 60 embarks though.

I've talked about it before, but I've used embark anywhere to embark on vaults and tombs before as well. Tombs are admittedly rather uninteresting because the mummies don't seem to spawn, and vaults are FPS hogs, plus most of the residents are labeled as pets for some weird reason.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #10161 on: August 19, 2017, 01:26:27 pm »

Old masterwork, semi-evil biome(no evil weather or revival). After attack of garpies only two dwarfs left, on healthy and inside, and horribly wounded blacksmith, Thekkud God-forsaken camps. After the fight, he started to veeeeryyy slowly  crawl  to the fort cave in a hill. He was starving and dehydrated, but since he was able to move(?) second dwarf won't pick up him. When he was about 20 tiles from entrance, he gone crazy, then walked to the food stockpile at normal speed immediately.
Why you... cuckoo, need to go insane to get to food to save your damn life?

Aerieshot, Hall of Tombs

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10162 on: September 01, 2017, 05:27:35 am »

Making a huge above-ground-Fort with a big moat. Then a siege came and I totally forgot to build the last wall. The attackers just swam through my moat and slaughtered my dwarves.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10163 on: September 02, 2017, 04:21:00 pm »

totally closed underground fort - goblins show up and everyone runs in and we close the front bridgegate.
still some dorf are fighting from time to time with beakdogs, trolls and goblins...
it took me a week to realise the roof of my farm had a hole from the last treecutting.
we still fought them off there, closed the roof and then a coppertitan showed up killing half of the remaining gobbos, who then fled after they killed him.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10164 on: September 02, 2017, 04:53:01 pm »

Accidentally made my stockpile for trash compacting under a bridge be the stockpile for masterworks. Oops.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10165 on: September 02, 2017, 06:11:47 pm »

Accidentally made my stockpile for trash compacting under a bridge be the stockpile for masterworks. Oops.

The dwarves fell to their knees as the sky cracked open, and the Art God came forth from the shattered heavens and declared, "What the actual hell dude?"

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10166 on: September 02, 2017, 06:15:19 pm »

"He finds art offensive and would have it destroyed whenever possible."

Anandar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10167 on: September 05, 2017, 04:33:36 am »

The first time i played dwarf fortress i thought worldgen was actually playing the game, got annoyed and left it for a month, and a workmate laughed at me and told me what i needed to do... FACEPALM!

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10168 on: September 05, 2017, 08:01:12 am »

First look at the image please. (In spoiler)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Explanation:

When I wanted everyone to haul stone, I made a profession stonehauler, which was only haul stone.
While stonehauling appears to be broken, because they did not haul the stone even though there was no reason for them not to,
when I turned autolabor back on, most of them kept the profession name.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10169 on: September 05, 2017, 10:21:06 am »

The first time i played dwarf fortress i thought worldgen was actually playing the game, got annoyed and left it for a month, and a workmate laughed at me and told me what i needed to do... FACEPALM!
To be fair, I sometimes do gen highly customized worlds just to see how they turn out, without any intention to play them beyond at most Legends Mode.
Pages: 1 ... 676 677 [678] 679 680 ... 729