Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 683 684 [685] 686 687 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2114956 times)

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #10260 on: December 01, 2017, 09:29:37 pm »

Not sure where to put this. I was digging though legends and found a goblin couple who had 12 sons and no daughters. That's a 1/4096 chance!

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10261 on: December 02, 2017, 01:14:50 am »

Not sure where to put this. I was digging though legends and found a goblin couple who had 12 sons and no daughters. That's a 1/4096 chance!
Given how many thousands of histfigs are created each worldgen, it's actually not that unlikely that someone cane along a couple like that. Or maybe the random number generator derped somehow.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #10262 on: December 02, 2017, 09:54:40 am »

That's true, but I don't look through every figure in a world. I only noticed this because the father killed 7 people in one battle.

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN: she:her:hers:herself]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10263 on: December 03, 2017, 06:39:16 pm »

If you are unable to designate a tree to be cut down, check the higher levels. If an upper level of the tree is already designated for cutting, the "Ground-Floor" trunk will not also be designated, and the tree will not be cut down.

This behavior seems extremely suboptimal... but it explains why my woodcutters have been sitting around with their beards up their%%END OF POST%%
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,

jmb86

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10264 on: December 03, 2017, 10:41:00 pm »

my first few attempts at creating a military I was individually applying the uniforms. one piece of armor at a time. changing the material of each item one at a time. FOR EACH DWARF. finally i learned that i can just change the uniform and apply it to the entire squad.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #10265 on: December 04, 2017, 10:49:20 pm »

((On an unrelated note, I think it's amusing that we've stickied "Face-Palm moments you've had" but not "What's going on in your fortress?". Eh, given the glorious complexity of DF, they're probably the same.))

gunpowdertea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10266 on: December 12, 2017, 03:43:04 pm »

((On an unrelated note, I think it's amusing that we've stickied "Face-Palm moments you've had" but not "What's going on in your fortress?". Eh, given the glorious complexity of DF, they're probably the same.))

.. and this one is more FUN ;-p

FP: I finally started to play around with the "new" version, which started to include temples and whatnot - and there is a new release about a month later.
I don't care. I have discovered that if you spawn elves this way, cats will chase them down and eat them.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #10267 on: December 12, 2017, 04:46:56 pm »

FP: I finally started to play around with the "new" version, which started to include temples and whatnot - and there is a new release about a month later.
Lucky for you. The rest of us had to wait a year.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #10268 on: December 12, 2017, 08:08:13 pm »

My first year of DF, in fact.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10269 on: December 14, 2017, 02:27:44 pm »

My first year of DF, in fact.
quite the same for me. i started shortly before 43 was released and it was great.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10270 on: December 15, 2017, 02:12:49 pm »

Fought a snail with a deadly gas, gas didn't seem so deadly, we killed it pretty easily. Walking back to he fort, everyone dropped dead in near unison...
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10271 on: December 16, 2017, 09:39:07 am »

Fought a snail with a deadly gas, gas didn't seem so deadly, we killed it pretty easily. Walking back to he fort, everyone dropped dead in near unison...
Maybe one day dwarves will make gas masks

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10272 on: December 16, 2017, 09:51:21 am »

Maybe one day dwarves will make gas masks
could those be modded into the game? an item that makes the wearer temporary immune to any gas/miasma would be
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10273 on: December 16, 2017, 02:41:34 pm »

You could probably mod a material that causes a syndrome, which gives the [NOBREATHE] tag. Time for !!Science!!.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #10274 on: December 16, 2017, 02:44:02 pm »

You could probably mod a material that causes a syndrome which gives the [NOBREATHE] tag. Time for !!Science!!.

But then they'd die of suffocation rather than gas, would they not?
Pages: 1 ... 683 684 [685] 686 687 ... 729