Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 701 702 [703] 704 705 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2095759 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #10530 on: December 19, 2018, 08:18:41 pm »

I don't know if I've posted this before, but one time I tried to recreate Colossus from the X-men in DF via modding, and I went through a period where not only was JUST his skin was made of the proper material, but also he vomited actual magma at regular, unprompted intervals. I never figured out what I did to make that happen, after I messed with the materials and got his tissues straight he stopped.

My facepalm is first of all making that modding mistake and second not saving that raw as-was because that was pretty awesome.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10531 on: December 19, 2018, 08:22:16 pm »

I don't know if I've posted this before, but one time I tried to recreate Colossus from the X-men in DF via modding, and I went through a period where not only was JUST his skin was made of the proper material, but also he vomited actual magma at regular, unprompted intervals. I never figured out what I did to make that happen, after I messed with the materials and got his tissues straight he stopped.

My facepalm is first of all making that modding mistake and second not saving that raw as-was because that was pretty awesome.

Whenever DF doesn't recognize a material, it just replaces it with the default material INORGANIC:NONE, which is magma. It's pretty great.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10532 on: December 19, 2018, 08:39:43 pm »

Whenever DF doesn't recognize a material, it just replaces it with the default material INORGANIC:NONE, which is magma. It's pretty great.

Yes but why was he vomiting. It was at all times, for no reason. I didn't know that it replaced with magma though, that really is great.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

weiserthanyou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10533 on: December 21, 2018, 10:52:30 am »

Where in the raws can I change the vomit material to magma? This will be fun.
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where a person can have his head be destroyed by necrosis and only die when the doctor amputates his torso.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #10534 on: December 21, 2018, 11:03:59 am »

"I'm fine, it's just some heart burn"
Bystanders: "EVACUATE THE AREA!"
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

weiserthanyou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10535 on: December 21, 2018, 11:20:10 am »

"I'm fine, it's just some heart burn"
Bystanders: "EVACUATE THE AREA!"
even funnier in the mess hall. Which may or may not be located outdoors just to mess with the miners.
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where a person can have his head be destroyed by necrosis and only die when the doctor amputates his torso.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #10536 on: January 01, 2019, 08:16:45 am »

I can't count the number of times I've Pulled the Lever to reveal my bridge was a retracting bridge instead of a draw bridge - usually over flat ground...

Just recently, I rushed the beginning of a fort in a hostile environment. Frustrated, I stared at crops dying in their fields as I disabled the labors on everyone except farming and watched in unending frustration as they milled about the fort doing nothing.

Real issue: forgot to set a stockpile for food. .___.

nezclaw

• Bay Watcher
  • i should really migrate my saves...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10537 on: January 12, 2019, 11:38:46 am »

oh, so you DON'T need to set up some gear assembly bs to power multiple millstones from one windmill? heck.
Dawnthunder: It menaces with spikes of tetanus
After the fire had burned down all of the wooden next boxes on the surface, Mottled Petrel was reluctant to replace them with more wooden nest boxes. Instead, he placed the remaining store of wooden nest boxes in the dormitory for any aspiring koopa mothers.

The nest boxes were immediately overrun by helmet snakes.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #10538 on: January 12, 2019, 06:21:57 pm »

Get everyone inside! Now!
... Wait why’s there a hole in the wall.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

thatroleplayerGal

• Bay Watcher
  • Making promises I can never keep.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10539 on: January 12, 2019, 08:49:53 pm »

g Settling on top of a lair. Near instant death. A few ghosts later and my dwarves are safe underground, and I'm thinking "oh, I'll just get them some weapons and kill the night troll." Turns out, Fortress Mode night trolls don't like going back inside their lair once they get loose. He's been grinding on every ostrich he sees for months now. Up to legendary Fighter status. I'm afraid to confront him.
It's really easy to get into Coc; trust me, all you need is one taste of Coc and you'll be begging for more! I wasn't even sure I would like Coc until after I got a taste, and now I'm all about Coc!

Y'know, there should really be a better abbreviation for Call of Cthulhu.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10540 on: January 12, 2019, 09:31:32 pm »

g Settling on top of a lair. Near instant death. A few ghosts later and my dwarves are safe underground, and I'm thinking "oh, I'll just get them some weapons and kill the night troll." Turns out, Fortress Mode night trolls don't like going back inside their lair once they get loose. He's been grinding on every ostrich he sees for months now. Up to legendary Fighter status. I'm afraid to confront him.

When in doubt, long walk of spike traps linked to a lever on repeat with a very deep pit on either side. And lots of marksdwarves (hey, one of the two is bound to make them dodge off.) And more spikes at the bottom. And maybe some soldiers with spears, swords, and axes.

RLS0812

• Bay Watcher
  • ~ Cancels Everything ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #10541 on: January 13, 2019, 03:34:47 pm »

I didn't know about the Hot keys until a few weeks ago ...
 I spent a lot of time pressing < and > to get to the layers I wanted to  :-[
Have you experienced the joys of a dwarven tantrum chain yet ?

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10542 on: January 13, 2019, 04:36:53 pm »

I didn't know about the Hot keys until a few weeks ago ...
 I spent a lot of time pressing < and > to get to the layers I wanted to  :-[

Don’t worry. I know about hot keys but just am too lazy to set any up.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

ReynTheLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Edible beserk! now available in masterwork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10543 on: January 15, 2019, 11:11:32 pm »

"Alright, Let's hope my dwarves are safe during my bridge test... yep, nobody coming up dead. Bridges went up and down just fine. Looks Like nobody died. Although I'm not sure if I could tell."

A bit more than an ingame week later.

URISTMCCARPENTER HAS BEEN MISSING FOR OVER A WEEK

"oh shit."
I am currently trying to comprehend what sick, mad, dwarven mind came up with the fortress name "Lancefondled", because it wasn't me.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10544 on: January 16, 2019, 02:59:05 pm »

In other unrelated news, bridge mechanisms are very well lubricated this month.
Pages: 1 ... 701 702 [703] 704 705 ... 729